Match Thread: April 7, 2022 - York United v HFX Wanderers

12 minutes ago, ATM said:

21k for TFC is not bad considering how they did last year. Plus the Leafs and Raptors are doing well so alot of attention is on them right now. I am a bit surprised at Vancouvers attendance considering they only have to compete with the Cunucks, and they are not even in a playoff position.

If we have to make excuses for the attendance numbers than it isn't a Worls Cup buzz bump.

58 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I thought the Fernandez kid looked real good for Wanderers.  Fast and composed dealing with Petrasso all night. Seems there is at least one kid that comes out of PLSQ every year that is damn impressive. 

Blainville is a launchpad for Canadian fullbacks. Abzi, Farsi and now Fernandez!

Thought both teams looked like they have some good pieces, but are both have some significant gaps. I think both teams lack midfield creators. I thought that all last year about York, and I saw them a lot given the unbalanced schedule where it seemed like Forge was playing them once a week. I looked at the stats and Wilson and Verhoeven had decent passing numbers, but to my eye, there weren't a lot of incisive balls in the middle. Wright didn't do a lot with the many crosses that came in, but it seemed he didn't get a lot of service from Wilson or Verhoeven directly. I'd have to rewatch the game to confirm that. Not sure about either team's depth either, though York looked better after all the second half subs, many of whom will normally be starters, so maybe that bodes well.

As for attendance, until they have a better stadium setup, it's going to be tough for York to really cement their place in the entertainment landscape. It just seems so impermanent, unprofessional. Which is too bad, since the soccer product is good. If we want consistent, good attendance, we really need 10-12k stadiums with proper roofs over the stands. The percentage of games in Canada where it's uncomfortable to be watching in person is significant, whether it's cold, wind or heat. With an aging population, this is doubly important. People under 35 will go out and suffer because the good parts make them ignore how uncomfortable they feel. Most people 40+ start to lean the other way. But who will put the money in to make that happen?

6 hours ago, ATM said:

I am a bit surprised at Vancouvers attendance considering they only have to compete with the Cunucks, and they are not even in a playoff position.

Whitecaps continual shittyness affects their attendance.

As a comparison, the Toronto Arrows of Major League Rugby played at the same stadium last Saturday at noon. They got 2000. 

Keep in mind, this was their first home match in almost 3 years, weather was sunny & they used to play at Lamport. 

Comments about York stadium were not as intimate as Lamport, too far away from the field, pies were great, want more beer options, standing area had good vibe, field looked good on tv and good to have seatbacks vs sitting on Lamport benches.