Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

Luca started, assisted and scored for the U-19s as Espanyol beat Nàstic (Gimnàstic) de Tarragona 5-0.

He made the pass on the first goal, first half. Then 2nd half, he scored after a run into the box. The Espanyol keeper made good saves, stopped a penalty, and late when he was already off they ran up the score.

They play the Spain u-19 Cup semis this Wednesday, hoping to find a live stream to share. I think it'll probably be on Teledeporte here regardless.

Luca scores in semis and Espanyol goes to the final of the Spanish u-19 Cup, 12.30 pm Saturday vs. Real Madrid.

Win 3-0 over Celta, who had a bit of "home" support as it was played in Lugo, not far from Vigo.

All goals in the late minutes. The 1st is off a corner m. 77, he's not involved; he has a beauty of a run just after, almost scores. Then the 1st scorer strips a defender draws another then passes to Luca who finishes the second m  80. Has another chance on a nice play m. 85. M. 88 he combines with others and leaves a little pass for the mid to head in. 

He's no 11, plays right side wing. Very sparky players on both teams and good positional play overall I'd say. If you want to see more from m. 70 it is mostly Espanyol.

Was reading a game report on an Espanyol fansite, and they call him "canadiense". This because I think they know of the Canadian call-ups. Then a scout on Twitter was going on about him and the wealth of US prospects, saying he was probably the best player on the field--I responded as to his nationality. 

I forgot this was on today, I thought it might be on tv but was on Youtube

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 4/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Kinda cool to be able to watch this, thanks - not the least of which is because my nephew is playing in that league (Juvenil A, same division as Celta) right now.  Because his team (Oviedo) doesn't get streamed much, and because he's mainly on the bench, I really haven't seen much of his soccer.  But this is a good reminder of the quality of that league.  👍

15 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Kinda cool to be able to watch this, thanks - not the least of which is because my nephew is playing in that league (Juvenil A, same division as Celta) right now.  Because his team (Oviedo) doesn't get streamed much, and because he's mainly on the bench, I really haven't seen much of his soccer.  But this is a good reminder of the quality of that league.  👍

Harnoor Mann! Thanks for letting us know about your relation to him. 

But I think he's an u-16 still, isn't he? Any word from his stint so far? 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Harnoor Mann! Thanks for letting us know about your relation to him. 

But I think he's an u-16 still, isn't he? Any word from his stint so far? 

Sorry, but that's not him!  But that's not your fault - it's mine 😬.  My sister-in-law just corrected me - my nephew started at Oviedo but moved on to CD Arenal (same division, lower in the table).  (Maybe that's why I can't ever find him in the box scores 😉

Overall, he has really enjoyed his time in Spain - lots of training against like-minded, very skilled players has been good for his game, but it's the new culture and the independence of being on your own in a foreign country that has been the most eye-opening.  He's basically grown from a kid into a mature young man in his one year over there, which has been great.

Having said that, I think he's realized that he's probably not going to be a pro soccer player, so he's coming back this summer, and will go to uni.  The coach at Mount Royal University here in Calgary has said he has a spot on the team if he wants, so that's likely how he'll go... ...he'll still get to play competitively, but pursue his education as well.  👍

8 hours ago, GasPed said:

Sorry, but that's not him!  But that's not your fault - it's mine 😬.  My sister-in-law just corrected me - my nephew started at Oviedo but moved on to CD Arenal (same division, lower in the table).  (Maybe that's why I can't ever find him in the box scores 😉

Overall, he has really enjoyed his time in Spain - lots of training against like-minded, very skilled players has been good for his game, but it's the new culture and the independence of being on your own in a foreign country that has been the most eye-opening.  He's basically grown from a kid into a mature young man in his one year over there, which has been great.

Having said that, I think he's realized that he's probably not going to be a pro soccer player, so he's coming back this summer, and will go to uni.  The coach at Mount Royal University here in Calgary has said he has a spot on the team if he wants, so that's likely how he'll go... ...he'll still get to play competitively, but pursue his education as well.  👍

Sorry I erred. That's still a high level, if he wanted to pursue things. 

Tied 1-1 at full time. 30 min more to come. Espanyol scores first, RM responds, and after the flurry they settle down and the final becomes cagey. Espanyol with a slight edge controlling the play. Luca always dangerous when he decides to go on a run. Attacked from the left first half, from the right turning in the 2nd half. He's ambidextrous but I think more a lefty. 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tied 1-1 at full time. 30 min more to come. Espanyol scores first, RM responds, and after the flurry they settle down and the final becomes cagey. Espanyol with a slight edge controlling the play. Luca always dangerous when he decides to go on a run. Attacked from the left first half, from the right turning in the 2nd half. He's ambidextrous but I think more a lefty. 

I hope we're not following and admiring a future American star.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I hope we're not following and admiring a future American star.

They lost 2-1, they didn't press the initiative when they had it and RM scored. Luca is clearly dangerous but a bit of the same, he didn't press.

He was called to the January camp and apparently the one now in Costa Rica, and the Espanyol sites now say he's Canadian, all good signs, so if the US ignore him we can nab him I think. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They lost 2-1, they didn't press the initiative when they had it and RM scored. Luca is clearly dangerous but a bit of the same, he didn't press.

He was called to the January camp and apparently the one now in Costa Rica, and the Espanyol sites now say he's Canadian, all good signs, so if the US ignore him we can nab him I think. 

I only saw the extra time so I can't really judge. But I did notice he's  decent dribbler but missed the net on three occassions.

What do you think of him?

Luca is still 18 so has another year of u-19, I believe. 

I think he's on a paid contract now so little chance of him being transferred. If he gets minutes with the B team, especially next year, that'll mature him. But he looks quite mature. 

As a wing player with two shooting feet, he's not at Corbeanu level, and below Millar, but in that profile and possibly, if we can cap him, would fit in behind them in a hypothetical pecking order. 

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry I erred. That's still a high level, if he wanted to pursue things. 

Thanks.  And I don't want to derail Koleosho's thread at all, but thought I'd make the observation that one revelation for my nephew was when the best player for Arenal (by far) was called up to a Liga 2 team.  All the players went to the game to see how he'd do.  He was plastered to the bench for two games and then dropped back down to Arenal.  My nephew thought "Wow - if that guy (best player he's ever played with) can't even get a sniff, what chance do I have?"  All this to say that it does take a special combination of talent and determination (and luck) to make it in Europe - especially if you go over there with little in the way of contacts, promotion or prior scouting.  It makes stories like Scott Kennedy's all the more remarkable.  👏

47 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Thanks.  And I don't want to derail Koleosho's thread at all, but thought I'd make the observation that one revelation for my nephew was when the best player for Arenal (by far) was called up to a Liga 2 team.  All the players went to the game to see how he'd do.  He was plastered to the bench for two games and then dropped back down to Arenal.  My nephew thought "Wow - if that guy (best player he's ever played with) can't even get a sniff, what chance do I have?"  All this to say that it does take a special combination of talent and determination (and luck) to make it in Europe - especially if you go over there with little in the way of contacts, promotion or prior scouting.  It makes stories like Scott Kennedy's all the more remarkable.  👏

My son played u-19 in Spain, at a lower level. Had friends from his team who transferred up to the top tier. Now, at age 23, one is in 7th tier. Another I knew went to NCAA div 1 and didn't even play to senior, partly due to the pandemic. 

My son decided he couldn't train 4 days a week and do longish travel weekends to play, and also study (engineering, so tough). Sure he has some regrets. But he also calculated he wouldn't make pro here. 

If your nephew plays while studying, keeps fit and the bug stays alive, he'll be happy I'm sure. 

• 1 month later...