Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

Ok back to the guy, and the interview.

Finally listened to it, t'was terrible frankly. The level of questioning and discussion is so bad, I don't get how some people have these channels, nor how a kid like Luca would agree to go on.

So first thing he comments is that his coach in the US was from Barcelona and set things up. Then, that he went to Reus, which is a club that disappeared for financial reasons shortly after. Was in 2nd division, though, a good spot when he landed there. 

Then, that he could not play for two years, just practice. Common for kids so young coming into Spain. 

That he's trained 5 times with the first team. That he signed a pro contract in July of this year. 

The interviewer at no time asks what his position is, where he plays, how he has evolved in terms of position, how Espanyol plays, how he has done this year. 

The interview assumes that as he plays u-19 for this year, that after that, being a 17 year old, he has to do something else. Well obviously not. He has another year of u-19 (Juvenil) eligibility and could continue with them. They also miss that Espanyol has a B team, in the newly arranged Spanish 4th tier, full of 2000s, 2001s, 2002s, which is the natural step up for him. 

Another detail, that the US programme has not had continuity with him after a u-14 or 15 camp a few years ago. And that Covid slowed anything they might have been planning.

IMO, if the Canada angle comes up, that is because Luca mentioned it to the interviewer, and it seems he might be interested. I mean: hey, I have a programme on USMNT. Instead of great, it was "great, but I am also eligible for Canada."

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Espanyol is playing Cup today away to a lower division semi-pro team, and there are no u-19s on the squad. Just from the B team who are 20-21 year olds mostly. Meaning: he's a great prospect but the path to a La Liga team is a bit more demanding than what the fellow in that video might have suggested. And Espanyol most definitely moves youth up when it can. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was half watching late 1st and most of 2nd half, but the stream got bad around m. 75. From what I saw he did not do much, I pretty well did not see anything of note. He was left wing first half, and right wing second half. He took inswinging corners, and tried to progress down his side.  In fact Zaragoza (2-1) played very well, with high intensity, closed them down defensively, and made Espanyol look poor; I'd say no one on their team looked too good today. 

He's a kid, you've got to give these young guys some breathing room, they are developing still and it's all in project stage. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, Dominic94 said:

Just hope he chooses us, reality is we’re a clearer path as the USA is literally stacked at the youth level it’s not funny.

I need a QRD on their youth. Please post it in the US National Team thread though. That thing needs a bump. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Atlantic said:

According to Transfermarkt he played 8 minutes with RCD Espanyol B on the 12th and then was on the bench the next game. 

Confirmed:

Thanks so much for that, I had not seen it, he seemed to be still playing for the u-19s. So that is a big step, and more so considering they are in a promotion fight. 

He did not play for the B team last week in an away win, nor this weekend home to Lleida, as they stay in a promotion spot.

Instead he was with and scored with the u-19 in the quarter finals of the u-19 Copa del Rey, away win over Levante 0-2 to go into the semis, full match below. He started on the attacking left wing. Espanyol keeper stops a penalty m. 64. They score m. 73, Luka is not involved. Then in stoppage time their keeper goes up for a last minute corner, and on the corner he beats the last defender and hits the empty net (90+3).

The other teams in the final 4 are Real Madrid, Betis and one TBD.

On 3/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks so much for that, I had not seen it, he seemed to be still playing for the u-19s. So that is a big step, and more so considering they are in a promotion fight. 

He did not play for the B team last week in an away win, nor this weekend home to Lleida, as they stay in a promotion spot.

Instead he was with and scored with the u-19 in the quarter finals of the u-19 Copa del Rey, away win over Levante 0-2 to go into the semis, full match below. He started on the attacking left wing. Espanyol keeper stops a penalty m. 64. They score m. 73, Luka is not involved. Then in stoppage time their keeper goes up for a last minute corner, and on the corner he beats the last defender and hits the empty net (90+3).

The other teams in the final 4 are Real Madrid, Betis and one TBD.

Luka and Espanyol play the semis, and hopefully final, from 13-17 April in Marbella. No draw yet, other teams are Real Madrid u-19, Celta Vigo and Betis.

• 2 weeks later...

Luca played 84 and got amongst the highest ratings by Mundo Deportivo as Espanyol u-19 beat Mallorca's equivalent 2-0 on Wednesday, he did not score. 

They have drawn Celta Vigo in semi finals of the Spain u-19 Cup final four, to be played next Wednesday; I think it'll be streamed, or even on Youtube. Real Madrid vs. Betis in the other semi, final goes on Saturday of Easter weekend.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist