Playoffs

I'm still a fan of promotion-relegation once we get to a proper set-up.  I still feel the Irish model of two divisions with 10 teams is the way to go.

But for right now a playoff format is OK; however, only the Top 3 should make the post-season with the regular season winners getting a bye to the final.  Even though I'm excited at the prospect of making the playoffs, both York and the Wanderers have not been good enough compared to the Top 3.

I think playoffs are fine, or even good, and they can exist (one day) with promotion and relegation. When we start getting 2 Champions League spots from CPL, have 1 be the playoff champions, and the other bing the highest finishing regular season team that didn't win the playoffs. I am OK with 4 making the playoffs (but maybe I'm biased because York United is my team and they finished 4th). Promotion and relegation aren't a replacement for playoffs, because playoffs ensures meaningful games at the top half of the league, and relegation ensures meaningful games in the bottom half of the league. Reducing the number of meaningless games is good, in my opinion. So bring on the playoffs, and when we have enough teams, bring on relegation. 

17 hours ago, Kent said:

I think playoffs are fine, or even good, and they can exist (one day) with promotion and relegation. When we start getting 2 Champions League spots from CPL, have 1 be the playoff champions, and the other bing the highest finishing regular season team that didn't win the playoffs. I am OK with 4 making the playoffs (but maybe I'm biased because York United is my team and they finished 4th). Promotion and relegation aren't a replacement for playoffs, because playoffs ensures meaningful games at the top half of the league, and relegation ensures meaningful games in the bottom half of the league. Reducing the number of meaningless games is good, in my opinion. So bring on the playoffs, and when we have enough teams, bring on relegation. 

You could also have relegation playoffs too, to make teams push for results all the way through and keep it fun to follow.

I liked last year's format. I would prefer a balanced single table myself, but I fully understand that travel costs for the league make that an impossibility, and thus acknowledge playoffs of some kind must exist.

I think a round robin group stage that gives more home advantage to the club that takes the league is what I would prefer instead of one all or nothing game to get in, and also gives more games (and thus revenue opportunities) for a club that does well. That said, I'm also fine with a 3 team playoff the table winner getting a bye.

What I would sincerely like to see is a single game final at a predetermined site, determined at the start of the season. That way, CanPL fans can book a single, big event final and make revenue on a small festival. 

Edited by -Hammer-

2 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

What I would sincerely like to see is a single game final at a predetermined site, determined at the start of the season. That way, CanPL fans can book a single, big event final and make revenue on a small festival. 

Or you could end up with the game being in a city that doesn't have a team in the final, and there is little to no interest. I went to the 2010 MLS Cup final in Toronto. It was Colorado vs Dallas, and I didn't know a single player for either team and nobody really seemed to care who won. Personally I'd rather it go to the higher seeded finalist.

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

Or you could end up with the game being in a city that doesn't have a team in the final, and there is little to no interest. I went to the 2010 MLS Cup final in Toronto. It was Colorado vs Dallas, and I didn't know a single player for either team and nobody really seemed to care who won. Personally I'd rather it go to the higher seeded finalist.

That perhaps is a fair. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Anyone know where Pacific FC supporters will be seated? Was thinking section 117 as its on the opposite end of the Forge FC supporters.

Is Pacific organizing anything for supporters going to the Final?

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/2021-canadian-premier-league-finals-forge-hamilton-ontario-12-05-2021/event/10005B6497FD186A

I don't know forsure, but from my past experience they've often sat opposing supporters near the outer top part of 118. Earlier in the season we had a drumline there LOL, so away supporters can't be any worse than that ;)

I always thought the delay for MLS after the international break was bad, and think the same here. And I'm a Pacific fan. You just lose interest and tension, and more so for those fans whose team's season is over. 

For CPL I am not really criticizing this year, and realize next our playoffs coincide with a World Cup. But you want to avoid that fan interest drop off as teams are knocked out. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:19 AM, Aird25 said:

Is it looking like the final will have decent attendance at this point?

I think they'll do fine with ticket sales, hope the weather is ok so they get the butts in the seats. Cheaper tickets and club seats have been selling apparently with slower sales in the more expensive centerline seating as expected.

Weather forecast is not that good for Sunday (could be wet snow at game time apparently). No extra sections have been opened up so far so they don't appear to be papering the house with freebies. Think it's unfortunate the final is in Hamilton in some ways because so much has been happening there in recent weeks (Montreal, Motagua etc) and will happen in January and February (CMNT, CCL) that it may be hard to build the level of excitement that there would have been elsewhere.