Keesean Ferdinand

Atlantic

2003 born center-back playing for Atlético Ottawa on loan from Montreal. 

I decided to make a thread since he made his professional soccer debut today and will likely play a lot for AO to help reach their required U21 minutes (only other U21 players are Coupland (who wasn’t even in the squad) and (GK) Obadal). 

He came on for the last 20+ of the game and didn’t look out of place, in fact he made a nice rush that happened not too long before AO’s game winning goal. 

Edited by Atlantic

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

He had his first start and was a bright spot for Atletico Ottawa last night. He looks smooth on the ball.

Watched him play for Canada U17s.. he is really good on the ball and was 16 when he made that squad. Did he play CB last night?

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

I only watched the highlights but Yao didn't close down very well the player who crossed the ball in for their goal 

Yeah his recovery speed isn't that great, and his distribution is very safe. Hopefully, these CPL reps can improve those aspects.

• 5 months later...

Here is a highlight package from Ferdinand's 2021 season. Ferdinand primarily played RCB with a bit of right back, his strengths include his positioning and ability to play the ball out of the back. He will most likely be a key part of the u20 team's backline next summer. Between him and Yao, Montreal looks to be developing some solid center backs through their academy.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

It doesn’t look like he got regular starts till late in the season. What’s he injured or just learning the craft?

687422114_KFgamelog.PNG.8cf48d61be50c9b41dc18d79816b1de5.PNG

Here is his game log for the last couple months of the season. I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the squad for several games because of injury but I could be wrong. He probably needs another loan next year, Yao is closer to playing regular MLS minutes but he gave a good account of himself overall.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Tyler55 said:

Here is a highlight package from Ferdinand's 2021 season. Ferdinand primarily played RCB with a bit of right back, his strengths include his positioning and ability to play the ball out of the back. He will most likely be a key part of the u20 team's backline next summer. Between him and Yao, Montreal looks to be developing some solid center backs through their academy.

It feels sooo good to read this!  With MIller already in place, Waterman also holding on to a starting spot, good times!  2026 is looking to be our year!

Interesting. As an underage player for our last U17 team  that went to the U17WC, Keesean played LB (perhaps he's strong with both feet) and was indeed good on the ball and an excellent passer. Back then he looked a tad slow but it could simply have been an age factor (or playing FB v CB) as he looks much quicker in the highlights video. 

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Interesting. As an underage player for our last U17 team  that went to the U17WC, Keesean played LB (perhaps he's strong with both feet) and was indeed good on the ball and an excellent passer. Back then he looked a tad slow but it could simply have been an age factor (or playing FB v CB) as he looks much quicker in the highlights video. 

Keesean's recoveries improved over the course of the year, the ease at which he gets back is very impressive he's a tall kid (he can still improve his composure). He's rated very highly by CF Montreal and he is still the youngest player ever to sign a pro deal with the club! His versatility at such a young age is very intriguing, think of Alistair Johnston and how big his versatility has been for us. Someone who is comfortable at CB, RB and can fill in as a 3rd choice left back is huge for a tournament setting. Again, props to CF Montreal for using the CanPL loan system very effectively so far. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I assumed Renards turning down CPL moves comment was aimed partly at him. He should be playing in the CPL if he isn't getting MLS minutes.

“People can see you, not only us,” stated Renard. “Games are filmed and they’re not just YouTube videos. […] I won’t throw the first stone, but I thought that this was a little mistake.”

https://northerntribune.ca/cf-montreal-olivier-renard-player-reject-loan/

• 2 months later...

I believe I saw Keesean Ferdinand play this past Sunday when I attended the PLSQ game in Quebec City between Royal-Sélect de Beauport and CF Montréal U23. No lineup sheets were available at the stadium, but someone showed me one for CF Montréal U23 that he found somewhere on the Internet. If that lineup sheet is correct, Keesean Ferdinand was wearing number 27 and was playing left centre back in a back 3. He looked physically mature for his age, was quick, passed the ball well, and overall was dominant at his position. As far as I could tell, he was wearing the captain’s armband. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he is called up to the senior team this season.

PS: Could a moderator please correct the spelling of Keesean’s first name in the thread title?

Edited by Grandbloke

• Atlantic changed the title to Keesean Ferdinand