MLS Match Updates and Talk 2020

Big_M

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Thanks. I new I was missing a TFC player in there. Constantly being yelled at by Vanney to "keep it" must get old though.

Vanney sounds like a house league coach at times with his commands, you hear so much more with no fans and added mics! 

13 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Yes I am forever amazed that the coaches at professional levels are yelling things that are so basic and should be drilled into the players heads prior to the game as far as tactics and expectations are concerned.  I wonder if Klopp screams don’t chase 20 times a game?

During my coaching days I really tried to have a plan drilled into the team before the match kicked off, any adjustments that needed to be made would be communicated through the Captain and during half time, even High School and U18 level players I believe get immune to the constantly barking coach! Imagine players like Poz and Piatti having played in top leagues being yelled at to do basic footballing things! This isn't unique to Vanney and as I mentioned it is probably exaggerated by the lack of fans in the stadium! 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Fraser shouldnt feel bad, Gonzalez was getting it a lot worse, HAHA.  The best was the "for f#cks sake there are 2 of you there".  Thats definitely something I want to yell at my Timbit kids, but there only 5, so I trust their instincts.  

Midway through the first half, my only thought of the game was "Wow, Vanney seems a bit pissed at Omar today".

boring portland-houston coming to an end with portland leading 2-0 without surprise with the beasts diego's chara and valeri..getting ready for the showdown..was gonna say bradley vs hernandez but apparently hernandez injured and out..still lots of big time players in this one..who are the kings of LA

I hate the modern interpretation of the hand ball rule in the penalty area.  Forwards ought to just boot the ball right into the defenders' arms from now on.  The chance of getting a penalty shot and scoring from that is way higher than the chance of kicking it into the net during the run of play.

lol they interview dos santos and say sounds like you made a sub at the break hows that gonna look..he says nope we didnt make a sub haha..then his plan is try to be better in the final third and not give the third goal..very encouraging

I didn't seem the game this morning but apparently Chapman came on for the last 11 minutes plus whatever heaps of Stoppage time they played as Miami lost their 5th game in a row by a single goal, this time to NYFC (who ended their own 4 game losing streak to start the season).

Feel for Vancouver fans after watching that game last night.

Edited by Gian-Luca

On 7/16/2020 at 10:23 PM, gator said:

Vanney sounds like a house league coach at times with his commands, you hear so much more with no fans and added mics! 

On 7/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, Club Linesman said:

Yes I am forever amazed that the coaches at professional levels are yelling things that are so basic and should be drilled into the players heads prior to the game as far as tactics and expectations are concerned.  I wonder if Klopp screams don’t chase 20 times a game?

I won't profess to have insight into the professional game, because I don't, but my suspicion is that professional coaching is sometimes no different than coaching at the university or senior amateur level.

This kind of thing you two are speaking about, it use to surprise me too, because I always assumed everything in the pro game was high level. More and more I don't believe that to be the case. 

It reminds me of the time Roy Hodgson was coaching Fulham and some of his pre-game tactics were leaked out and spread on the internet. People were mocking it for being so simple, which you can imagine because Hodgson has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) of being a tactical dinosaur. That may very well be true, but perhaps the game we know and love truly is simple? 

Most of us here, probably all of us here, have never played or coached at a professional level, so perhaps it's understandable our expectations for pro coaching is romanticized?

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Feel for Vancouver fans after watching that game last night.

Yes.  And yet (due this morning’s results) they still have a chance to advance if they can beat Chicago by two goals.  And if LAG beat Hou by less than three goals