Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Maybe he was working on padding his Opta passing stats with a 100% completion rate through safe passes.

Who knows, maybe he is! It's difficult to see what else he could possibly have to lose by sending it into the box at that stage of the game, 2 goals down. Are they really worried about seasonal goal-differential that much that they can't take the risk of scoring another goal? I thought Teibert could be conservative with the back-passes but this takes it to a new level.

Do we think MDS is lasting the season? 

On one hand I feel like Schuster would have made the change by now, especially after the LA game. On the other I see MDS making noises about still wanting to be there, which sets alarm bells ringing. Given the position they are in the league and still having a chance of playoffs I could certainly see him done if they don't make it. Harsh or not. 

He has had a lot of roadblocks but how much longer do they wait for things to click and with two almost complete roster overhauls will they give him a third with full confidence he can get the team playing with consistency or any semblance of the style he says they will play?

I want him to succeed but doubts are at an all time high. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mls/article/want-dos-santos-vows-keep-fighting-whitecaps/

“I want to keep fighting to improve this club and the team. I have no intentions of going nowhere,” 

...so he is planning to leave? 🤔  🤨  🙃

Edited by toontownman
Edit for lost in translation highlight quote

He's lasting the season just because why not? What does anyone have to benefit by letting him go. Knowing MDS he probably feels he's gonna squeeze blood from a rock and go on some run. Probably why guys like Montero and Reyna don't like him. MDS never turns off. But.. i think its kinda obvious changes will happen in the off season

Edited by SpursFlu

15 points in 15 games with 8 of 12 making playoffs and being 3 points away they are right there in the race..and actually the lineups they have put out past few games have looked really solid with players like godoy back and even subs like baldisimo..against the champs they were equal to them in the first half..so really think they have a realistic chance to make it..and tomorrow its against quakes..put bush in goal and a solid lineup and formation to exploit their weaknesses and there will be a very good chance to get the 3 points..and quakes have kashia vako and marcos lopez with national teams so really gotta go get it

Making the playoffs isn't what i meant by a run. I do agree its possible and the team has looked steady at times. I like MDS and the guys been thrown every curveball imaginable but outside of winning at least 1 maybe 2 playoff rd I don't see him coming back because I feel like the decision has already been made 

Edited by SpursFlu

brazil or a spanish speaking country in the americas..if he makes playoffs and is gone then another mls team could make him an offer..but again dont see how hes gone if they make playoffs..schuster would just be making it harder for himself..even if you bring a strong coach nothing is guaranteed..just look at their opponents of tonight..there are other teams struggling also with solid coaches

On 10/6/2020 at 8:35 PM, SpursFlu said:

He's lasting the season just because why not? What does anyone have to benefit by letting him go. Knowing MDS he probably feels he's gonna squeeze blood from a rock and go on some run. Probably why guys like Montero and Reyna don't like him. MDS never turns off. But.. i think its kinda obvious changes will happen in the off season

I like MDS, we know he has had a torrid time and lots isn't his fault, we all want him to do well but these performances are beyond pushing patience. This is the most embarrassing I have seen the club in the MLS. Probably likely anyone lined up couldn't come in right away, even if there was chatter about Michel coming in to replace him last month. If they do have someone lined up who is available there is absolutely no reason to wait IMO. 

Football is a funny game though and we fans are fickle, things could miraculously turn round at the weekend and with a win they are back in the playoff hunt and optimism rises. However, the way things are and are heading with four straight losses and some of the worst football I have seen the Caps play, keeping MDS might do worse damage to the players staying than a statement to the players firing him.

This simply can't continue.  

19 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I like MDS, we know he has had a torrid time and lots isn't his fault, we all want him to do well but these performances are beyond pushing patience. This is the most embarrassing I have seen the club in the MLS. Probably likely anyone lined up couldn't come in right away, even if there was chatter about Michel coming in to replace him last month. If they do have someone lined up who is available there is absolutely no reason to wait IMO. 

Football is a funny game though and we fans are fickle, things could miraculously turn round at the weekend and with a win they are back in the playoff hunt and optimism rises. However, the way things are and are heading with four straight losses and some of the worst football I have seen the Caps play, keeping MDS might do worse damage to the players staying than a statement to the players firing him.

This simply can't continue.  

I'm generally pretty patient with the managers of my teams, but I cannot see any way that MDS can be kept on. The only question is whether they bother with getting somebody in for a few games while stuck in a nomadic Covid nightmare or leave MDS dangling before getting the new guy in for training camp in January. As it is, Schuster should be taking the lead on player recruitment, either way, so I'm not bothered with rushing the new guy in right now. If they feel that they need to boot MDS immediately, a stance which I'd find hard to argue with, I'd be getting Nick Dasovic in to see out the season. Whoever the new guy might be, I'd love it if they could find a role for Daso with the first team. 

Michel is still free by the way. 

I am fine with them waiting on the season, letting him finish. The circumstances are not fair for a new coach at all and there would be no point. Any smart new manager would prefer a fresh start and being able to have a say in signings.

Also think that finances will be affected if they can't see a way to play with public next season, so they might have to study all salaries, including a new coach's, more carefully.

That second Red Card for the Caps last night is one of the worst I have seen for some time, don't they even review these? Both MLS matches I watched last night (TFC & Caps) had very questionable bordering on incompetent referee decisions!

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

Football is a funny game though and we fans are fickle, things could miraculously turn round at the weekend and with a win they are back in the playoff hunt and optimism rises.

For the Caps (and other crappy teams in this league, for that matter) to still be in the playoff hunt is a joke, frankly.  

Commentators mentioned that Axel believes in a deliberate, considered re-build. He isn't going to wildly sing players just to fill spots. He wants to do this in a measured, smart and methodical way. Which means improve on the pitch is going to be gradual at best. This will clearly be a multi-year rebuild under Axel. And, all things considered, that makes total sense to me. So, where does MDS factor into those plans?  I cannot see how Axel can have MDS at the helm during this multi-year rebuild. At best, Axel could give MDS one more year to see if he can so something with the first wave of new players Axel signs, but improvements--if any--will likely be modest.  Will it be enough to extend MDS?  One would think that Axel would go with a fresh manager for his rebuild strategy, no?  No sense in getting rid of MDS now. See out the year and start looking around for great coaches (and players, players, players).

I will continue suffering along as this club tries to right the ship. I stuck with TFC through many, many dismal years (and look at the quality football they've been playing!)  Still, we need a proper rebuild. 

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Commentators mentioned that Axel believes in a deliberate, considered re-build. He isn't going to wildly sing players just to fill spots. He wants to do this in a measured, smart and methodical way. Which means improve on the pitch is going to be gradual at best. This will clearly be a multi-year rebuild under Axel. And, all things considered, that makes total sense to me. So, where does MDS factor into those plans?  I cannot see how Axel can have MDS at the helm during this multi-year rebuild. At best, Axel could give MDS one more year to see if he can so something with the first wave of new players Axel signs, but improvements--if any--will likely be modest.  Will it be enough to extend MDS?  One would think that Axel would go with a fresh manager for his rebuild strategy, no?  No sense in getting rid of MDS now. See out the year and start looking around for great coaches (and players, players, players).

I will continue suffering along as this club tries to right the ship. I stuck with TFC through many, many dismal years (and look at the quality football they've been playing!)  Still, we need a proper rebuild. 

In MLS there is no reason not be able to sign a competent coach, who has a say in signings, and be at least a team playing at .500 the first season. After all that would mean for the current Caps to have 21-22 points, to be 7 W 1 D 8  L right now, for example, 6-7 more points on the season. If you can't get there, then your rebuild is bogus.

5 hours ago, gator said:

That second Red Card for the Caps last night is one of the worst I have seen for some time, don't they even review these? Both MLS matches I watched last night (TFC & Caps) had very questionable bordering on incompetent referee decisions!

They should appeal that. I didn't even see a yellow offense. If he stepped on the guy's foot (if that was the foul), it must have been accidental.

No complaints about the Rose ejection though. The Whitecaps should be happy with that one given his defending on the first goal. Vancouver plays a lot of Canadians, but you could argue that they still don't play enough, even though they play more than anyone else. Why is that? Because the quality of so many of their foreign players is extremely poor and they might as well be playing CPL guys or other Canadian players instead. I always want Montreal and especially TFC to play more Canadians than they do, but at least for both those teams most of their foreigners are actually a cut above your average Canadian player. (Not all of course, but a far higher percentage than Vancouver's foreigners).

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

RSL has also been on the schneid since losing to the Caps at home so something's gotta give in Portland this weekend. 

I'm currently watching RSL's Rusnak play for Slovakia against Ireland in a Euro Qualifier, so that probably helps to explain their slide somewhat and is good news for the Caps.

12 hours ago, gator said:

They should fine the ref for making such a shocking call!

Refs don't see everything, they make mistakes, so I wouldn't be so hard on them.  However, VAR is supposed to help correct bad calls in serious cases.  If it doesn't work for such an obviously wrong call, then there is no hope for it.  That's the real scandal here.

MLS Instant replay feature finally showed an angle where we could see what the red card was for. Although I still don't think it's a red (unlike Andrew Wiebe and Charlie Davies who seem to think it is clear and obvious), I think the Ref is less insane than I thought he was.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

MLS Instant replay feature finally showed an angle where we could see what the red card was for. Although I still don't think it's a red (unlike Andrew Wiebe and Charlie Davies who seem to think it is clear and obvious), I think the Ref is less insane than I thought he was.

It's clearly not a red card offense, and those two are clearly very stupid individuals. The card was rightfully overturned.