Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Disappointed to see that Bush has another year on his contract. Really hooe he doesn't block Crepeau like he did in Mobtreal.

Schuster has indicated they won't have both Crepeau and Bush next year (though it's not in this article). I would think that Bush's strong play in the second half would have increased his value from whatever the Whitecaps paid for him, so i don't think he's likely to be back next year.

On 11/13/2020 at 5:22 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's a good article. If they really think they improved on last season and they are on an upward curve, all power to them. I don't see it. MDS does not have it. But if they want to throw his third attempt at us next season, great, will be amazing  to watch how merely making the playoffs will be celebrated as a major trophy.

There was a quote from that piece stood out for me:

“........ We need to be more dangerous in the final third. I think it’s all connected. If we recover balls around the field, we’re giving less possession to the opponent in our half, then we’re giving them less goal-scoring opportunities. It’s all things that … we want to continue growing in next season........”

Thats what i saw.  The whitecaps give up possession far too easily.   But i believe that this is longstanding thing that seems rooted back to when the the club came into MLS. And maybe even before that.   They are a direct team and when you watch them and compare to,say, the other canadian teams, they have this distinct identitity whereby their fall back option is that of being the most direct team.  On one broadcast i heard paul dolan preach the virtues of “Safety first” in instances where there is a fifty fifty ball deep in the defensive third.  So this might be rooted in club culture.  To  compare to Vanney’s game,  you never hear those words or seldem see that at all, when there a fifty fifty ball deep in a danger area, the player still look for an open man (ie.:  i cant think of any goals gettting conceaded from this).  What alos this means a)  you have a chance to play the ball out b) you are not giving possession away cheaply c) you give you team a chnace to play it through midfield d) you maintain possession e)  you force the opponent to work harder at winning the ball back.  

in principle,  a direct style can work and be effective.  There is less pressure on the MF to keep possession and have them put an emphasis on ball winning instead.    But you are going to give up possession alt.  And then you need the certain players compliment this style.  For example you need a centre forward with pace to chase down balls and beat defenders.  Is that Cavallini’s calling card?  Not in my mind.  You need a differnent kind of forward.  You need ball winners in MF.   Maybe they have this or maybe not, but it doesnt seem like it.  

Without quoting all the above from @Free kick, first, in USL the Caps almost always dominated, at least at home, including in possession. We took it to our rivals. 

We have suffered with possession, defending deep, with CBs very deep and lots of shots against, since the Robinson days. MDS came in saying he wanted to change that, but he has not coached it. We have the same basic errors. We sit deep. We do not get out to cover on the wings who are usually 1on1 against us. We do not pressure in a concerted way to ensure getting the ball back in the middle of the field and not always after the rival has a chance on goal. We do not choose possession play that is positive, meaning looking to link through the lines, backs to mids, mids to wings, back into the middle, always with multiple options.

We do not control games, not yet, not visible, not at all. He can talk all he wants, but if he can't do it--and I am speaking of a technical capacity to coach it--then he should be out. My opinion is that he simply does not have the ability to coach the required components of possession as a way of reducing rival chances and increasing our own. It is not so much a question of players, although once you have coached it, then you can add the pieces to cover for those whose presence on the pitch impedes it from working properly.

14 hours ago, Free kick said:

Thats what i saw.  The whitecaps give up possession far too easily.   But i believe that this is longstanding thing that seems rooted back to when the the club came into MLS. And maybe even before that.   They are a direct team and when you watch them and compare to,say, the other canadian teams, they have this distinct identitity whereby their fall back option is that of being the most direct team.  On one broadcast i heard paul dolan preach the virtues of “Safety first” in instances where there is a fifty fifty ball deep in the defensive third.  So this might be rooted in club culture.  To  compare to Vanney’s game,  you never hear those words or seldem see that at all, when there a fifty fifty ball deep in a danger area, the player still look for an open man (ie.:  i cant think of any goals gettting conceaded from this).  What alos this means a)  you have a chance to play the ball out b) you are not giving possession away cheaply c) you give you team a chnace to play it through midfield d) you maintain possession e)  you force the opponent to work harder at winning the ball back.  

I was actually very impressed with the play of the left sided triad of Cornelius, Teibert, and Guttierez at working the ball out from deep in their own end while under the press.  It was the antithesis of hoof it out which I saw from previous years.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Because I think it's always important to get an outside perspective on your team sometimes. Don't find myself disagreeing with any of it.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/11/18/armchair-analyst-what-2020-meant-mls-club-club

One of the better and fairer analyses I've seen.

The only thing he does not get into is the coach, at least not directly. But saying MDS would see something, try it, then abandon it quickly, is pretty damning. But then he saves him by arguing that the lying deep 4-4-2 actually worked towards the end, essentially that once the coach decided on how he wanted to play, it went better. But is that really how Marc wants to play?

I think his analysis is a good one though I am not as big on Rapaso as he is.  MDS and his tinkering with formation switches and positional changes (Godoy at RB, Guti LM/LW, Cornelius quick to be given the hook from the starting XI, etc) has a Vanney-esque feel (and not in a good way).  

2 hours ago, nolando said:

Is "Visa issues" code for a legal issue or something? He was considering a very hot prospect at one point very recently, no?

It's possible he doesn't have his Canadian citizenship yet, which would make getting a US visa much more complicated.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Hugely disappointing for George. He was certainly highly rated and looked lively in his cameos for the club. Shame. 

They have another year with Gutierrez don't they. I think he can play a decent part next year now he has aclimatized. 

I didn't even remember George playing until you mentioned it.  I think this is the type of player who can now really benefit from the CPL.  He's not bad, he just needs more playing time at a higher level than the Caps can provide, but he's not MLS quality yet either.

20 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Mainly pre season. He amassed a mighty 9 minutes as a sub once. I thought he might have got more minutes considering Nerwinski has needed replacing as a starter for a few years now. He must be some way off and CPL beckons if he wasn't called upon this year.

Yeah, I meant to add that he must be aways off still if he couldn't replace Nerwinski, considerng that Nerwinski really shouldn't be a regular starter.

44 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, I meant to add that he must be aways off still if he couldn't replace Nerwinski, considerng that Nerwinski really shouldn't be a regular starter.

A fair bit off but there might be other factors in play of which we are not aware.  

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think it's just idle speculation based on his release and lack of playing time, and not going to MiB.

Just speculation, like almost everything else around here.  There's no one in the local msm reporting on anything, for that manner.  The Province's Caps beat writer has checked out and is onto other things with his a Twitter account.