Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Making the playoffs won't change the fact that MDS and a fair chunk of the roster need binning off before next season. There's more value in giving precious development minutes to Baldisimo, Bair, Cornelius, and Raposo than chasing the illusion of being a 'playoff team', 'cause that don't mean **** in the long run.

These two guys seemed to have dropped down the depth chart in the last few weeks, especially Bair with Ricketts now being the first choice forward sub. 

I sense that we may see Baldi being Bikel's CM replacement tonight but I don't see any other changes (unless a short notice injury issue arises), so we will see if the fixture congestion catches up to the other starters, even against this year's conference bottom feeder. 

Interesting tactical changes today...Baldisimo dropping in to split the CBs when we get possession in our own half, and Montero and Teibert swapping positions when Galaxy have possession deep in their own half. Still don't really look like scoring, though. 

On another note, BeIn Australia are using the LA Galaxy feed for this game. If you searched the entire earth, I'm not sure you could find a worse commentary duo than Cobi Jones and this other muppet. Horrible stuff.

32 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Interesting tactical changes today...Baldisimo dropping in to split the CBs when we get possession in our own half, and Montero and Teibert swapping positions when Galaxy have possession deep in their own half. Still don't really look like scoring, though. 

On another note, BeIn Australia are using the LA Galaxy feed for this game. If you searched the entire earth, I'm not sure you could find a worse commentary duo than Cobi Jones and this other muppet. Horrible stuff.

Any explanation on the LA feed why they spent half of the first half with the camera on the cardboard cutouts in the stands, including one of the aforementioned Cobi Jones which got more screen time than any Whitecap did in the first half.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Any explanation on the LA feed why they spent half of the first half with the camera on the cardboard cutouts in the stands, including one of the aforementioned Cobi Jones which got more screen time than any Whitecap did in the first half.

I think they may have just been fucking with the away viewers. They didn't do that for me. 😭

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

******* hell. 

Didn't deserve the loss. 

I disagree. We deserved to lose because we pretty much went out our way to try NOT to score for 90 minutes. Every time we had opportunities to attack at speed, Montero started walking to allow the Galaxy players to drop back into their compact 2 banks of 4 defenders. I understand that sometimes you hold up the play to allow time for your teammates to catch up, but that's not what happened. None of our guys were sprinting forward to help the attack, just their guys getting back to defend. We're a terrible team with a clueless manager and we just deservedly lost to another terrible team with a clueless manager. It's embarrassing that one or both of these teams might be able to claim some kind of achievement by qualifying for the playoffs. 

On 10/15/2020 at 11:18 AM, Big_M said:

nothing easy out there..galaxy needs wins badly and gbs to keep his job so they will go all out in their remaining games

right..and they take it..and dc beats cincinnati and san jose draws seattle after losing 7-1 to them

I dont think we need to ditch that many players. I like Bikel, Dajome, Gutierrez, Cavallini, Godoy

We could better use Adnan $, Montero is playing well but his money along with Reyna & Inbeom money could land really impactful players. 

Owusu seems redundant, Teibert is a bench player but could move on. Milincovic is ok

I really don't think its rocket surgery. They just need to plunk a Piatti or Valeri or Pazuelo type in to this team and its all good. A few minor tweaks on top of that

Still looks to me like Van and Montreal are in the playoff hunt and are far from the WORST teams in the league.  Sometimes no matter how shitty it feels being a fan, you need to step back and look at the other dumpster fires around the league.  

38 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Sometimes no matter how ****** it feels being a fan, you need to step back and look at the other dumpster fires around the league.  

There is a whole lotta mediocrity in the bottom half of the table in this parity based league.  And with that, each particpant in this land of the blind gets to be a one eyed king for a game or shorter streak of matches.  I mean, the Caps lost to a perceived "dumpster fire" a few days ago.  But now, they beat another similar level team to them and the roller coaster is back on the upswing with a number of the supporters.

I like the consistency of the CB pairing  They are the best twosome and will remain starting until the end of the regular season (screw squad rotation!).  Godoy is the straw that stirs the drink (glad that the RB experiment has been laid to rest).  Bush has been a steady eddie mixed in with some key saves along the way and is a better presence than the career MLS backup Meredith.  And the club's work rate without the ball in pressing their opponents further up the field has been a signicant key to success and you can see why certain guys are starting and others are not. 

If we're honest, the team had a big turnover at the strangest of times. Then started the season without a bunch of players. Now they have everyone and credit to MDS for changing his much talked about tactics in order to suite the squad. I think it seems fun for people to just outright dismiss the Caps without much thought but i think the teams not bad. Not great, but decent 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

If we're honest, the team had a big turnover at the strangest of times. Then started the season without a bunch of players. Now they have everyone and credit to MDS for changing his much talked about tactics in order to suite the squad. I think it seems fun for people to just outright dismiss the Caps without much thought but i think the teams not bad. Not great, but decent 

You didn't watch the absolute embarrassment that was the LA Galaxy match, then? They are a very bad team who is lucky that they play in a pretty bad league.