Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

Every time I watch this team play, I am more and more convinced that MDS is clueless. No idea what his best team is, rotating players in and out regardless of form, just throw another bunch of shit at the wall and hope something sticks...

Very happy that the subs managed to turn things around today. If Baldisimo is back on the bench next time, MDS should be sacked on the spot.

Was that the best 'Caps performance in almost two years? Getting in shape just before the preseason...

Their last stretch is relatively easy with 2 times against the Galaxy. How awesome would it be if Dos Santos now takes them all the way after sucking for two seasons...

Edited by shamrock

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Was that the best 'Caps performance in almost two years? Getting in shape just before the preseason...

Their last stretch is relatively easy with 2 times against the Galaxy. How awesome would it be if Dos Santos now takes them all the way after sucking for two seasons...

It may have been but it helped that they were playing such an incredibly depleted LAFC team who was on shorter rest than even they were.

Anyone know how tongue in cheek this comment from Adnan might have been?

“I think now for him now is the best moment, and he gets a lot of help from other players that’s behind him,” Ali Adnan said. “He gets help from the staff because they believe in him a lot. And that's Cava. We still need him for next game and every game because he’s like the best player we have on the Whitecaps. One of the best because I'm the best.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/15/its-no-coincidence-vancouver-whitecaps-lucas-cavallini-enjoying-best-form-2020

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Anyone know how tongue in cheek this comment from Adnan might have been?

“I think now for him now is the best moment, and he gets a lot of help from other players that’s behind him,” Ali Adnan said. “He gets help from the staff because they believe in him a lot. And that's Cava. We still need him for next game and every game because he’s like the best player we have on the Whitecaps. One of the best because I'm the best.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/15/its-no-coincidence-vancouver-whitecaps-lucas-cavallini-enjoying-best-form-2020

No shortage of hubris there.  I actually enjoyed reading Montero's comments where he throws the midfielders under the bus for their inability to play forward passes.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Whitecaps are still the team in MLS with the lowest percentage of matches winning points. the most zeros of all. The worst offence, worst defence. The basic overall picture is terrible, and the setup allowing awful teams into the playoffs does not change that. 

Definitely, and that's not just the Caps.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

No shortage of hubris there.  I actually enjoyed reading Montero's comments where he throws the midfielders under the bus for their inability to play forward passes.

In fairness to Montero, with the notable exception of Baldisimo, it's not like he doesn't have a point there. 

Montero has been in not giving a fuck mode since he got back. He's been really good but its also caused some friction. To MDSs credit he's swallowed his pride a bit and has admitted that isolating Montero was a mistake and now he's got him playing in the do whatever the hell you want role. Its kinda working

Edited by SpursFlu

57 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Let's see:  with three wins in a row and getting on a roll with a settled side, now slated to play against the worst team in the league cuurently struggling with internal turmoil and conjecture about a coaching change.  

I hope the Caps don't sh*t the bed on this one.

They've only won two in a row, not three. However, the next two matches must be approached as must-wins. We can't forget what happened the last time we went into LA on the back of two straight wins.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

They've only won two in a row, not three. However, the next two matches must be approached as must-wins. We can't forget what happened the last time we went into LA on the back of two straight wins.

My oops wins record.  However  isn't every game a must-win for this team?  Also, apart from the need to replace the suspended Bikel, will the other starters be the same for the third match in eight days?  Does Baldi get the start?

12 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

My oops wins record.  However  isn't every game a must-win for this team?  Also, apart from the need to replace the suspended Bikel, will the other starters be the same for the third match in eight days?  Does Baldi get the start?

The next two are against LA Galaxy and San Jose. They have to get maximum points in those games. The third game is against Seattle, where we'd realistically happy with a draw, even if we hope for a win.

I'd definitely find a way to get Baldisimo into the XI.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The next two are against LA Galaxy and San Jose. They have to get maximum points in those games. The third game is against Seattle, where we'd realistically happy with a draw, even if we hope for a win.

I'd definitely find a way to get Baldisimo into the XI.

Also, the playoff situation could change very suddenly and drastically should Covid accelerate.  You could have winning percentage being the determinant for the playoff places.

Like others (perhaps you?), I don't see the playoffs as a benchmark for progress this year.  They just make the regular season one long exhibition season:  everbody-gets-a-ribbon. But seeing Baldi get valuable experience as well as the team showing a consistent competitive identity is the foundation for what I want to see going forward into 2021.

49 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Also, the playoff situation could change very suddenly and drastically should Covid accelerate.  You could have winning percentage being the determinant for the playoff places.

Like others (perhaps you?), I don't see the playoffs as a benchmark for progress this year.  They just make the regular season one long exhibition season:  everbody-gets-a-ribbon. But seeing Baldi get valuable experience as well as the team showing a consistent competitive identity is the foundation for what I want to see going forward into 2021.

Making the playoffs won't change the fact that MDS and a fair chunk of the roster need binning off before next season. There's more value in giving precious development minutes to Baldisimo, Bair, Cornelius, and Raposo than chasing the illusion of being a 'playoff team', 'cause that don't mean shit in the long run.