Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I will legitimately say, I don't think this would be "nice".  He's not the DP central midfielder the Whitecaps desperately need.  So if they're allocating funding to Osario (at a premium price), then they're wasting money.

I don't need to see "Team Canada" re-united in Vancouver (especially since the keys to the team are playing in much bigger and better leagues over seas).  I need to see the Whitecaps field a good team while developing their own residency players, not going out to overspend on players in the same league just because they're Canadian.

Edit: BTW, if you're really, really wanting a Canadian midfielder to go to the Whitecaps, then the guy to keep an eye on is Scott Arfield.  Check in with him during the remainder of the year, see if he's fine with coming off the bench at Rangers instead of starting, and if he's not then potentially make the move in January.  I don't think that's happening either, but it's much more likely than Osario.

If Rangers are in contention for the Scottish league at that point, there's no way Arfield moves in January. The team that stops Celtic winning 10 in a row will never pay for drinks in Scotland for the rest of their lives. He'll want to be part of that journey.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

If Rangers are in contention for the Scottish league at that point, there's no way Arfield moves in January. The team that stops Celtic winning 10 in a row will never pay for drinks in Scotland for the rest of their lives. He'll want to be part of that journey.

Oh, agreed.  I don't think Arfield is coming to Vancouver at all.  Just that even that's more plausible than Osario.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:57 PM, Stoppage Time said:

My starting XI for the Whitecaps' against the Impact:

G - Hasal,

RB - Nerwinski,  CB - Rose,  CB - Cornelius,  LB - Gutierrez

RM - Owuso,  CM - Baldisimo,  LM - Adnan

AM - Reyna

F - Bair,  F - Cavalinni

Well, I suggested this starting lineup vs. Montreal a few days ago. Let's see! Who did well with their play, or was played in the correct place by MDS?

Adnan is not a LB, but he can get forward from the midfield to attack, and he can track back. MDS is using him incorrectly.

Gutierrez looked pretty good during his minutes and shows promise. He should start a few to cement, or "give up" the position.

Owuso was not very good I will admit.  Gadoy is very poor at RB.

Cavalinni blew a gasket with fouls. Off night. Milinkovic was Milinkovic, in and out of the game, and overall not effective.

What did you folks think of Reyna?  Teibert at LM was quite ineffective.

Would my starters have, as a group, produced a different result?

^I thought Milinkovic was pretty good.  His smart first time pass set up Bair's goal, he had some other passes that provided opportunities, and worked hard to win some tackles.  

If they had a World Cup for fastest shower and change into-civvies, Adnan would be a champ.  I sense that this guy wants get on the In-Beom Transfer Express asap.  Guttierez looks much better as  left back instead of a left mid or LW. 

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

The optics of that were just terrible.  Didn't Vancouver have a problem in the locker room a couple years ago?  They seem to be going down the same path.

He was just doing his own thing on the field, too.   Early in the match, MDS was demonstrably annoyed when he dribbled out of play under pressure in his own half instead of passing the ball earlier.  It went downhill after that.

Is Vancouver really going to play their home games in Portland? They mentioned the Vancouver air quality during the broadcast. Going to Portland is going from bad to worse, isn't it?

Brooke Henderson is withdrawing from the Cambia Portland Classic due to air quality:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/golf/brooke-henderson-withdrawal-cambia-portland-classic-1.5723557

Here is an interesting map showing air pollution in real time. Vancouver is in rough shape at about 293 (very unhealthy), given their proximity to the USA wildfires. Portland is around 478, which is in the "Hazardous" category.

https://waqi.info/#/c/44.959/-107.443/4.8z

Edited by Obinna

Home games that are actually away is ridiculous. 

Reyna should have been shifted after the first season when he got into bother. I can see why they stood by him, he had a very promising first season but as been nothing but a disspointment and hot and cold at best, lukewarm and cold maybe. They need to jettison him quickly. 

Why no, "Adnan got dressed quick to get back to watch the game" 😛  To be fair if he was disinterested why would you do it quickly. I would take my time! It is hard to know with Adnan. He is generally grumpy in general. You can see why he won't go higher though as his mentality just isn't there to be consistent and making the right decisions, remain focussed and motivated. I wouldn't give up on him yet but Gutierrez already looks a better bet at LB and not sure Adnan is the best winger Caps could get. Might make sense to move him too.

22 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Home games that are actually away is ridiculous. 

Reyna should have been shifted after the first season when he got into bother. I can see why they stood by him, he had a very promising first season but as been nothing but a disspointment and hot and cold at best, lukewarm and cold maybe. They need to jettison him quickly. 

Why no, "Adnan got dressed quick to get back to watch the game" 😛  To be fair if he was disinterested why would you do it quickly. I would take my time! It is hard to know with Adnan. He is generally grumpy in general. You can see why he won't go higher though as his mentality just isn't there to be consistent and making the right decisions, remain focussed and motivated. I wouldn't give up on him yet but Gutierrez already looks a better bet at LB and not sure Adnan is the best winger Caps could get. Might make sense to move him too.

Adnan's at his best when he can attack with space, either from a Baldi instant and crisp point of attack switch or a forward in front of him who threatens on the dribble inside (which is Milinkovic's best spot, imo), and then he can steam around on the overlap and even cut inside himself for a shot.  

14 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Didn't Vancouver have a problem in the locker room a couple years ago?  They seem to be going down the same path.

Depends on who you ask.  Most of the players said there wasn't.  Russell "I'm just an extension of the FO" Teibert is the one who came out after the season and complained about the locker room, but it honestly came across more as the FO getting ready to dump some players and wanting to make up lies to do it.  Not the first time the club has done that.

Up until Rudy "Macho" Camacho's heroics, I didn't find it a very good game, then when the Caps went up two in short order, I figured that was it so I moved on to other things for the evening.  But Guttierez looked very good at LB in the first half, so that would be great if we can get him committed to our NT.

What a disgusting display from Montero in his interaction with Camacho. Stands over and taunts an injured player and goes down like he's been shot after getting flicked in the knee. Obviously Camacho deserved red but you'd think Montero could face a fine for that sort of simulation.

I also wonder whether incidents like those that occur in the penalty area should be punished by giving a penalty. It has nothing to do with removing a scoring chance. You wouldn't give a penalty for dissent if the argument occurred in the penalty area.

That said, 'Caps looked decent. Kept it level 11 on 11, then took advantage when up a man. Veselinovic doesn't look as good as he did in Orlando but Cornelius and Gutierrez look solid at the back.

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

What a disgusting display from Montero in his interaction with Camacho. Stands over and taunts an injured player and goes down like he's been shot after getting flicked in the knee. Obviously Camacho deserved red but you'd think Montero could face a fine for that sort of simulation.

I also wonder whether incidents like those that occur in the penalty area should be punished by giving a penalty. It has nothing to do with removing a scoring chance. You wouldn't give a penalty for dissent if the argument occurred in the penalty area.

That said, 'Caps looked decent. Kept it level 11 on 11, then took advantage when up a man. Veselinovic doesn't look as good as he did in Orlando but Cornelius and Gutierrez look solid at the back.

You don't know Camacho was injured, and you don't know he was being taunted.

Another version would be that he was recriminating that he was not injured (Montero's leg get's in there, but it is not clear there is contact) and that he'd faked going down, that it was Camacho who was embellishing trying to draw a foul against Montero.

As for the hit, probably true, but if he hadn't been hit he would not have gone down and it would have been called back.

I love it when what is considering "disgusting" by some is not quite.