Former CanPL Players

32 minutes ago, Mango said:

ECFC has been very ambitious in their approach to building a team including the latest signing of Jordan Brown, who has been in Germany and Iceland after playing two season with Cavalry. I have been very impressed with their approach both on and off the field. They very much have an eye on a CPL move at some point. 

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

ECFC has been very ambitious in their approach to building a team including the latest signing of Jordan Brown, who has been in Germany and Iceland after playing two season with Cavalry. I have been very impressed with their approach both on and off the field. They very much have an eye on a CPL move at some point. 

According to the guys on the OneSoccer roundtable today, ownership is pretty ambitious and they have an eye on 2024. I think that might be too early depending on the stadium situation, but you never know.

The CanPL in general is having a positive influence on Canadian Soccer as a whole.  League 1 Ontario seems to have jumped a level over the last year or so. Simcoe County and Electric City seem to have given the league a bit of a new vigor, hopefully they won't be flash in the pans who burnout after a season or two.  the PLSQ doesn't seem in a bad shape either, Quebec would certainly benefit from a CanPL club in a medium-large market outside of Montreal.  Also, with the new BC1 league starting up and hopefully another 3-tier semi-pro league elsewhere. It could be a good way of providing a pipeline of young talent into the CanPL league.  A few players are now getting looked at by MLS clubs, who otherwise may not have had the opportunity (Waterman, McNaughton & Chung... plus others who may have come close to signing like Awuah &  Didic).  Hopefully the national team qualifying for the World Cup in Qatar may put some new eyes on the league if Canada put in some good performances.  The league certainly isn't perfect, and there have been some huge bumps along the way, but it would be hard to deny that the CanPL hasn't been a net positive for the game in the country.

29 minutes ago, Trois Reds said:

According to the guys on the OneSoccer roundtable today, ownership is pretty ambitious and they have an eye on 2024. I think that might be too early depending on the stadium situation, but you never know.

In my mind if any market can get something similar to the stadium in Halifax that would them in a great position to move forward. Stadiums seem to be the biggest issue for the three conditional expansion teams  that the CPL has awarded. If any Peterborough or any group can get that built they will be in great shape. 

7 hours ago, StillOnFire said:

The CanPL in general is having a positive influence on Canadian Soccer as a whole.  League 1 Ontario seems to have jumped a level over the last year or so. Simcoe County and Electric City seem to have given the league a bit of a new vigor, hopefully they won't be flash in the pans who burnout after a season or two.  the PLSQ doesn't seem in a bad shape either, Quebec would certainly benefit from a CanPL club in a medium-large market outside of Montreal.  Also, with the new BC1 league starting up and hopefully another 3-tier semi-pro league elsewhere. It could be a good way of providing a pipeline of young talent into the CanPL league.  A few players are now getting looked at by MLS clubs, who otherwise may not have had the opportunity (Waterman, McNaughton & Chung... plus others who may have come close to signing like Awuah &  Didic).  Hopefully the national team qualifying for the World Cup in Qatar may put some new eyes on the league if Canada put in some good performances.  The league certainly isn't perfect, and there have been some huge bumps along the way, but it would be hard to deny that the CanPL hasn't been a net positive for the game in the country.

I definitely agree with your post. I just want to point out the overlooked Guelph United. They had their first season in 2021 and they won it all. Some familiar names on their team, Justin Springer (formerly York 9), Tomasz Skublak (HFX Wanderers), Jace Kotsopoulos (Forge and York United), Nicolas Galvis (Valour and that club called "Canadian" from Uruguay!)