Match Thread: June 26, 2019 - York9 FC v Cavalry FC

11 hours ago, narduch said:

TFC is boring af. Other then a few flashes of brilliance per match from Pozuelo.

Its hard to like TFC with their over-rated coach and pro-American stance. How many **** Americans are they over-paying?

How many Canadians are on the Raptors?

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

That's a pretty stupid analogy. 

Besides what does that have to do with over paying **** Americans like Boyd

It’s not a stupid analogy , because your taking a shot at TFC for not playing enough Canadians and instead going with more Americans . However, the NBA with so many Canadians as ever playing in that league the Raptors have like maybe 1? Maybe the reason the Raptors only have 1 is simply because they pick the best players that they think are good enough to do the job regardless of nationality, however TFC gets clobbered for not playing enough Canadians. If your good enough you play regardless of your nationality just like the Raptors do. The only difference is TFC actually spends millions on operating an Academy to develop Canadian players, don’t think the Raptors have a youth Academy developing Canadian players?   

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It’s not a stupid analogy , because your taking a shot at TFC for not playing enough Canadians and instead going with more Americans . However, the NBA with so many Canadians as ever playing in that league the Raptors have like maybe 1? Maybe the reason the Raptors only have 1 is simply because they pick the best players that they think are good enough to do the job regardless of nationality, however TFC gets clobbered for not playing enough Canadians. If your good enough you play regardless of your nationality just like the Raptors do. The only difference is TFC actually spends millions on operating an Academy to develop Canadian players, don’t think the Raptors have a youth Academy developing Canadian players?   

Sorry. Your analogy is dumb as fuck. 

These are 2 totally different sports. 

If TFC wasn't busy releasing great talents like MAK I might change my opinion. 

Get back to me when shit players like Boyd or Zaveleta aren't on the roster. 

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sorry. Your analogy is dumb as ****. 

These are 2 totally different sports. 

Get back to me when **** players like Boyd or Zaveleta aren't on the roster. 

Sure it’s different sports yet one gets hammered for not playing enough Canadians, while the other no one seems to care that hardly any Canadians are ever on the roster, that’s all I’m saying . Anyways , unlike you as a soccer fan I’m loving the fact I can now follow two pro teams in my city, TFC and York 9 a great time to be a Canadian soccer fan!

Edited by SoccMan

11 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I'm not a Raptors fan. I have no problem with the team, I just don't buy the notion that I should blindly support them because I'm Canadian and they're based in a Canadian city.

That being said, it is a stupid analogy to compare the number of Canadians on the Raptors to TFC.

Worldwide, football culture has always put great value in developing local talent. Every football league in the world, pre-EU freedom of movement laws, had strict restrictions on the number of imports allowed to play at any given time. TFC has an academy that has the goal of developing players directly for the first team.

The NBA has never had any real premium on local players. With mechanisms like the entry draft and limited free agency, no team has the incentive to create their own development system. What's the point of the Raptors running an academy when any player they develop would have to go through the NBA draft. Likewise, the Raptors can't target Canadian stars when they've been drafted by other teams.

You're comparing apples to dump trucks.

6 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Sure it’s different sports yet one gets hammered for not playing enough Canadians, while the other no one seems to care that hardly any Canadians are ever on the roster, that’s all I’m saying .

If the NBA was knowingly discriminating against Canadians it would be a different story. 

We know MLS discriminates against Canadians. And we know TFC likes to get shit Americans. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

According to this week's edition of the ExtraTime podcast, MAK blames himself for being released by TFC. Says it was his own poor attitude and lack of work ethic that caused him to not get signed to the first team.

Anyway, it's strange that this match thread has nothing to do with the actual match.

This is the V's forum, so we are going to see a very vocal minority perspective in here compared to the mainstream real world out there.

Let's be real, we're all here because we love Canadian soccer and Cdn footballers, but the vast majority of fans out there don't really give a shit.

That's why TFC took over the city in the treble season, why the Raps got the entire GTA on a standstill during the title run, why the Jays are so beloved, and why Y9 with like every player on the roster being Canadian except 3 of them or something still gets crap attendance. It's cute to see the vocal minority doing its thing on a forum, but the vast majority of GTA soccer or sports fans don't really give a shit about whether the team is composed of how many Canadians or Torontonians.

At least we know all this CPL stuff supports Canadian soccer hugely, as well as CanMNT, CanM23 and CanM20, and our Gold Cup runs and our WCQs, so let's keep doing our thing, but let's not ever forget that we are a small vocal minority subset of fans in the end.

TFC have 3 Canadian players at the Gold Cup right now but even without those players they still have played 4-5 Canadian players per game. In comparison Vancouver (with 4 players at the Gold Cup) has played two games this week with a total of just 15 minutes going to a Canadian - Brett Levis. This is not because Vancouver's coach is some anti-Canadian guy who hates Canadians or Canada (given that the coach is a Canadian, that's obviously not the case) but because Vancouver doesn't have as many Canadians they can play as TFC does, who have a lot, even with Telfer loaned out to York 9 for most of the season. So I'm not even sure why there is even a debate (esp in this thread) about TFC not playing any Canadians this season, whether they are comparable to the Raptors or not (which for me is irrelevant).

Speaking of the Gold Cup (and to get this back on topic), nice to see the mini-Gold Cup reunion there between Brennan and Nash on the highlights.

Anyone have any idea on the attendance on this one? It was a gorgeous night but the match was head-to-head against the TFC game so I am curious as to what this one drew as I don't think they have been head to head before. We don't really get a shot of the west stands in the highlights package and the east stand is completely empty which always seems to be the case for these weeknight games.

And I know this might be sacrilege, but I actually like that York 9 Mascot......

Edited by Gian-Luca

21 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

TFC have 3 Canadian players at the Gold Cup right now but....

I made an off hand comment and didn't expect it to grow into a wider discussion.

I still contend that MLS rules discriminate against Canadians and all 3 Canadian clubs should be doing more to develop Canadians.

That's my opinion.

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

This is the V's forum, so we are going to see a very vocal minority perspective in here compared to the mainstream real world out there...

...which means that mainstream opinions often go against the prevailing group think on here. Fans in the GTA prefer watching Alejandro Pozuelo to Cyrus Rollocks. Who would have ever believed that was going to happen?  Maybe worth bearing in mind that things get considerably less fringe when a CanPL team is a big deal locally in the sort of cities where junior hockey does well, because there isn't a lot going on in live entertainment terms. Living in most of Canada is very different from living in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

TFC have 3 Canadian players at the Gold Cup right now but even without those players they still have played 4-5 Canadian players per game. In comparison Vancouver (with 4 players at the Gold Cup) has played two games this week with a total of just 15 minutes going to a Canadian - Brett Levis. This is not because Vancouver's coach is some anti-Canadian guy who hates Canadians or Canada (given that the coach is a Canadian, that's obviously not the case) but because Vancouver doesn't have as many Canadians they can play as TFC does, who have a lot, even with Telfer loaned out to York 9 for most of the season. So I'm not even sure why there is even a debate (esp in this thread) about TFC not playing any Canadians this season, whether they are comparable to the Raptors or not (which for me is irrelevant).

Speaking of the Gold Cup (and to get this back on topic), nice to see the mini-Gold Cup reunion there between Brennan and Nash on the highlights.

Anyone have any idea on the attendance on this one? It was a gorgeous night but the match was head-to-head against the TFC game so I am curious as to what this one drew as I don't think they have been head to head before. We don't really get a shot of the west stands in the highlights package and the east stand is completely empty which always seems to be the case for these weeknight games.

And I know this might be sacrilege, but I actually like that York 9 Mascot......

1879 I think it was. Their worst league attendance yet.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

He's grown on me because I think even the club realises how ridiculous he is.

He looks like an alternate-universe version of the Incredible Hulk, one where Bruce Banner first turned into the Hulk whilst getting his body squished between two rapidly-closing elevator doors. I think that's why I like it. How many other mascots can you say that about?