Match Thread: June 26, 2019 - York9 FC v Cavalry FC

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...which means that mainstream opinions often go against the prevailing group think on here. Fans in the GTA prefer watching Alejandro Pozuelo to Cyrus Rollocks. Who would have ever believed that was going to happen?  Maybe worth bearing in mind that things get considerably less fringe when a CanPL team is a big deal locally in the sort of cities where junior hockey does well, because there isn't a lot going on in live entertainment terms. Living in most of Canada is very different from living in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal.

I still think CPL would do pretty well in Sauga, Surrey and Laval. A CPL club in those three specific cities would really help push the "main city with a MLS club vs. the second city with a CPL club derby" to the max, I think it'd be highly welcomed.

The problem is that there would be no derby involved because the teams would be in completely different leagues. If you live in Mississauga and cheer for the Raptors, Leafs and Jays and ignore the Argos as your hometown teams, it's a big shift in the prevailing sports culture to suddenly start seeing a relatively low budget Mississauga team as your thing in soccer rather than TFC.

Would definitely be good if it happened, but the mainstream doesn't necessarily see things the way CanPL would like them to in that context and if it was easy to do why isn't it already happening in other sports? Meanwhile, you don't need to drive too far along the 401 or the QEW to get to relatively large cities that are definitely not Toronto where the mindset is very different and there aren't a huge number of live entertainment options available as Western students from the GTA are never shy about telling people in London after finding out that doing something like listening to some local band at Call the Office followed by a visit to Sammy's Souvlaki or Stobie's Pizza isn't exactly what they are used to.

58 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The problem is that there would be no derby involved because the teams would be in completely different leagues. If you live in Mississauga and cheer for the Raptors, Leafs and Jays and ignore the Argos as your hometown teams, it's a big shift in the prevailing sports culture to suddenly start seeing a relatively low budget Mississauga team as your thing in soccer rather than TFC.

Would definitely be good if it happened, but the mainstream doesn't necessarily see things the way CanPL would like them to in that context and if it was easy to do why isn't it already happening in other sports? Meanwhile, you don't need to drive too far along the 401 or the QEW to get to relatively large cities that are definitely not Toronto where the mindset is very different and there aren't a huge number of live entertainment options available as Western students from the GTA are never shy about telling people in London after finding out that doing something like listening to some local band at Call the Office followed by a visit to Sammy's Souvlaki or Stobie's Pizza isn't exactly what they are used to.

No doubt, I haven't kept track of the thread that details what are the potential ownership groups bubbling for cities such as London or Kitchener-Waterloo, but if investors are brave enough to try their CPL fortune there, it could definitely bring out some amazing surprises for sure, who knows. Much respect ot the GRU guys that I've been seeing at the Y9 supporter section.

As for the second cities like Sauga, you know, I think that with the hype that Sauga has built with the SG and with the mayor and a number of councillors involved, I think a strong marketing push that emphasizes a team "right in your backyard" going against the big boy, even if in a different league, could really galvanize mainstream support for the club. I mean, us hardcore CPL supporters all got seasons to our teams, but it's the mainstream that we want, right? I think it could happen in Sauga/Surrey. Don't know Laval well to say one or another.