General Discussion on Canadian Youth Teams

10 hours ago, Shway said:

Frustrating. You would think we would be preparing for 2026. 
But I guess this doesn't constitute that AND there's not enough money lol.

It pisses me off that we never get to play in this tournament  yet Mexico goes almost every year . Our youth teams should be playing in these types of tournaments  on a somewhat regular basis if its possible 

• 4 weeks later...

@Bigandy you mentioned that Soccer receives less Federal money than many other sports including Rugby.  There's absolutely no reason that should be the case.  There's got to be more kids playing soccer than Rugby or many if not all of the other sports you mentioned and given the  number of parents involved in youth soccer, that's a lot of votes. Any politician will understand that. It shouldn't be a hard sell by the CSA. Soccer is an egalitarian sport and appeals to a diverse range of Canadians. Several of our National players are immigrants who came to Canada in their youth. Davies alone is a great example. I'm actually surprised the Feds haven't used Phonzie in some of their ads!

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

@Bigandy you mentioned that Soccer receives less Federal money than many other sports including Rugby.  There's absolutely no reason that should be the case.  There's got to be more kids playing soccer than Rugby or many if not all of the other sports you mentioned and given the  number of parents involved in youth soccer, that's a lot of votes. Any politician will understand that. It shouldn't be a hard sell by the CSA. Soccer is an egalitarian sport and appeals to a diverse range of Canadians. Several of our National players are immigrants who came to Canada in their youth. Davies alone is a great example. I'm actually surprised the Feds haven't used Phonzie in some of their ads!

RIGHT!!! Don't even get me started on how much funding Canada Kayak gets....... 

However, based on my limited eye test of amounts being given to various sport federations, it seems like the funding the CSA gets is somewhat in line. Why rugby and canada kayak get inflated financial support is way beyond me.  If i was in charge and had no bias, I would be taking money away from some of these lesser programs and then proportionally distribute that pool amongst the various groups or use it as a top up for special events. The numbers dont seem to justify that canada soccer is (vastly) underpaid. 

You do make some great points on why CSA would be a good group to leverage to get better funding though. Curious why this isnt happening, especially with hosting a WC on the horizon...

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

RIGHT!!! Don't even get me started on how much funding Canada Kayak gets....... 

However, based on my limited eye test of amounts being given to various sport federations, it seems like the funding the CSA gets is somewhat in line. Why rugby and canada kayak get inflated financial support is way beyond me.  If i was in charge and had no bias, I would be taking money away from some of these lesser programs and then proportionally distribute that pool amongst the various groups or use it as a top up for special events. The numbers dont seem to justify that canada soccer is (vastly) underpaid. 

You do make some great points on why CSA would be a good group to leverage to get better funding though. Curious why this isnt happening, especially with hosting a WC on the horizon...

Pure speculation but I suspect it is because we have historically been internationally competitive in a sport like kayak, so when the Olympics roll around every four years (which is the only time 99% of people pay attention to kayak) we actually have some hope of getting medals.  

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Pure speculation but I suspect it is because we have historically been internationally competitive in a sport like kayak, so when the Olympics roll around every four years (which is the only time 99% of people pay attention to kayak) we actually have some hope of getting medals.  

Yeah, it's gotta be this. We've got 3 medals in Olympic soccer in the last 100 years, and we've got 26 kayak medals in the same timeframe.

https://canoekayak.ca/olympic-medalists/

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I'll expand on the speculation. I bet that with no sponsorship dollars going to Kayak, the sport is only viable if canada gives this higher number. Where as soccer has proven that we can field a team without needing more gov funding even though our youth programs suffer or our teams fly economy etc.  

11 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I'll expand on the speculation. I bet that with no sponsorship dollars going to Kayak, the sport is only viable if canada gives this higher number. Where as soccer has proven that we can field a team without needing more gov funding even though our youth programs suffer or our teams fly economy etc.  

It helps that being good at soccer gets you a good paycheck outside of national team representation. I wonder how many pro kayakers can make enough money to live off of that isn't essentially grants from the government.

Just saw that there’s an U-22 tournament happening in El Salvador from June 24- July 7 with teams from Jamaica, DR, Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Colombia, Venezuela, and Honduras.

Something isn’t right, when Jamaica is playing more games than us. They also have excuse of money having to go around to their women’s program….

I just don’t get it.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Just saw that there’s an U-22 tournament happening in El Salvador from June 24- July 7 with teams from Jamaica, DR, Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Colombia, Venezuela, and Honduras.

Something isn’t right, when Jamaica is playing more games than us. They also have excuse of money having to go around to their women’s program….

I just don’t get it.

I get the sentiment but it looks like the last game jamaica u22 played was in 2022. A 2 week tournament every 3 years is not having more games than us. 

Obv I could be wrong on how often the u22 jamaica play but just because they have a more recent camp than us, doesnt mean they play more often. 

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I get the sentiment but it looks like the last game jamaica u22 played was in 2022. A 2 week tournament every 3 years is not having more games than us. 

Obv I could be wrong on how often the u22 jamaica play but just because they have a more recent camp than us, doesnt mean they play more often. 

I meant their entire program. Senior, and youth.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I meant their entire program. Senior, and youth.

Are they playing significantly more games than us? I see theyve had 2 friendlies (both vs trinadad with their own camp poutine) and 1 nations league game in 2023 and we have had 2 nations league games.  

Then in 2022 theyve had 1 friendly vs peru (again its camp poutine) and WCQ matches, nations league matches. The sr team doesnt seem to be ahead of Canada at all. 

Are they playing significantly more games than us? I see theyve had 2 friendlies (both vs trinadad with their own camp poutine) and 1 nations league game in 2023 and we have had 2 nations league games.  

Then in 2022 theyve had 1 friendly vs peru (again its camp poutine) and WCQ matches, nations league matches. The sr team doesnt seem to be ahead of Canada at all. 

Include youth camps. They’ve done a few ID camps for their older ages in vetting dual internationals in America.

But regardless we shouldn’t be comparing our country to a developing nation. 

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

Include youth camps. They’ve done a few ID camps for their older ages in vetting dual internationals in America.

But regardless we shouldn’t be comparing our country to a developing nation. 

U22 - one tournament every 3 years
U17- 2019 tournament and 2023 tournament 
u20 -sporadic as well.

My research might be terrible but I cant find any evidence of them holding many youth camps. 

There were some youth women id camps i saw but it looked like training for local players? 

U22 - one tournament every 3 years
U17- 2019 tournament and 2023 tournament 
u20 -sporadic as well.

My research might be terrible but I cant find any evidence of them holding many youth camps. 

There were some youth women id camps i saw but it looked like training for local players? 

I don't know what you're referencing but quick search for the senior team:

2022 Friendlies:
JAM: 5 
CAN: 4

2021 Friendlies:
JAM: 3
CAN: 0

2020 Friendlies:
JAM: 4
CAN: 3

2019 Friendlies:
JAM: 2
CAN: 1* (training match)

For youth teams you gotta dig deeper, as the JFF communications is worst than the CSA, and the Gleaner will put it in their reports in small parts that your algorithm can't easily find. I know because I occasionally visit the reggaeboyz forum to find out the latest happenings of the team. So go  there and you'll find additional information if you want. 

It's how I know Demarai Gray has finally got his paperwork sorted.

I know they did an ID camp for the U20, and U17s...it how they got players from Atlanta United, Toronto FC, and Inter Miami academies. They've done this also with the ladies, as majority of their team is Jamaican "diasporans". 

But again, my main point is that it shouldn't be comparable....but it is.  
Jamaica for a fact does more local  camps than we do. I guess from before it didn't make sense for us to do them, but we are in year 5 of the CPL's existence and I know before I could make a strong U-23/21 team with zero national team experience. 

12 hours ago, kacbru said:

Not really fair to compare the number of friendlies for the last few years. CMNT has had a busy schedule with WCQ, NL, WC etc. - no shortage of games at senior level. 

Why not? Jamaica has had the exact same schedule except the WC. 

I wasn’t comparing them to Bolivia….

On 4/29/2023 at 6:48 PM, kacbru said:

True, but the point is the lack of youth team opportunities, not senior matches. 

On 4/28/2023 at 7:39 PM, Shway said:

I know they did an ID camp for the U20, and U17s...it how they got players from Atlanta United, Toronto FC, and Inter Miami academies. They've done this also with the ladies, as majority of their team is Jamaican "diasporans"

On 4/26/2023 at 5:58 PM, Kadenge said:

We should not be relying on Federal Money only. its time for the CsA to go out and reach out to the corporate world