General Discussion on Canadian Youth Teams

I watched a Whitecaps development team (average age, 18) play a friendly against an Isthmian League team (currently 5th in the English 6th tier) last night. Simon Colyn looked okay, but the kid who's really special is 15-year-old Kamron Habibullah. He's not big, nor is he exceptionally fast, but he's got unbelievable quality as a player. 

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I watched a Whitecaps development team (average age, 18) play a friendly against an Isthmian League team (currently 5th in the English 6th tier) last night. Simon Colyn looked okay, but the kid who's really special is 15-year-old Kamron Habibullah. He's not big, nor is he exceptionally fast, but he's got unbelievable quality as a player. 

Apparently the WhiteCaps rate him as a 5 star prospect.

15 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Isthmian League Premier Division is 7th tier not 6th..surely if he goes pro Afghanistan will try to get him and with asian cup now at 24 teams could be interesting for him

I don’t think we have to worry to be honest. 

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Do you know whats the story??  Family came over from Afghanistan recently or just Afghan roots?  

I didn't get to speak to him at the game on Tuesday night, but from afar, he looks and acts like any other 15-year-old kid from Vancouver, albeit one with exceptional football talent.

• 1 month later...

With the U17's qualifying for the World Cup, it would be interesting to see if we can get 2003 Toronto born forward Lucas Dias on board. He plays for the Sporting CP academy and has been called-up to the Portugal U16 national team before. We do have a strong midfield and forward group, but from what I've heard, Dias is very highly touted and it would be a good opportunity to cap him. Also of note, Portugal did not qualify for this tournament, so we would not have to compete with them to give Dias a call-up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:53 PM, Jith12 said:

With the U17's qualifying for the World Cup, it would be interesting to see if we can get 2003 Toronto born forward Lucas Dias on board. He plays for the Sporting CP academy and has been called-up to the Portugal U16 national team before. We do have a strong midfield and forward group, but from what I've heard, Dias is very highly touted and it would be a good opportunity to cap him. Also of note, Portugal did not qualify for this tournament, so we would not have to compete with them to give Dias a call-up. 

Dias has signed a professional contract with Sporting. I really hope that we can get him on board for the U17WC, he seems like a very good prospect.

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2019 at 12:25 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

Please share this video where you determined he was overlooked by the CSA. 

And let’s mark this post and see where he’s at in a couple years to see if you’re right.

Bumping because you were right, and we need a reminder to not overreact to dual nationals considering their options when they're U16/U17. 

• 1 year later...

I hope one improvement we'll see once the WC money rolls in is that we'll see Canada participate in youth friendly tourneys.

The US has begun prepping for U17 qualification.

At this rate it seems our first taste of it will be when qualification actually begins and the players will all be from either TFC, Vancouver or Montreal.

The US are also running a U20 camp too.

The USA has three youth teams playing in tournaments in Europe right now.  Mexico has at least one as well.

Mexico U18 and USA U17 are at tournament in the Czech Republic.   The USA team is one year younger than the other countries, but they looked good yesterday despite a 1-0 defeat against Slovakia U18.   They dominated play and were just missing a finishing touch.  The keeper for the Americans plays in the youth system of Barcelona and looked quality.

Too bad Canadian youth teams don't play anymore....

Edited by Buchta

• 1 month later...

To me more financial  investment should be put in our National Youth teams , I know that is more easliy said than done, But our U20, and U 18 should be having a Training camp in the Winter months and why  not  play friendlies against MLS teams  who are in training camp at the same time . I remember a number of years ago  Toronto FC played a game against the US U20 team  in preseason 

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

To me more financial  investment should be put in our National Youth teams , I know that is more easliy said than done, But our U20, and U 18 should be having a Training camp in the Winter months and why  not  play friendlies against MLS teams  who are in training camp at the same time . I remember a number of years ago  Toronto FC played a game against the US U20 team  in preseason 

We all agree. At this point we all are doing this...

south park beat a dead horse GIF

8 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

If the 3 MLS teams paid for the camps, it would be a win-win.   Their players get more experience and exposure, increasing their market value down the road.  Go big, line-up games against European opposition.

This approach would be just as sad. It would continue the narrative of only scouting from the 3 MLS clubs.

We aren’t strapped for cash like that. I refuse to believe that. 

3 hours ago, Shway said:

This approach would be just as sad. It would continue the narrative of only scouting from the 3 MLS clubs.

We aren’t strapped for cash like that. I refuse to believe that. 

I agree with that, however the last U17 camp was MLS centric [20 of 25], so why not have them pay for it?  , I am all for the best prospects being called, even if each MLS Academy had 3 players it would benefit them, hands off financing?  A successful national Team program is a benefit for the MLS teams.  No way Miller and Johnston would bring in top dollars to Montreal without their National Team performances.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

19 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I agree with that, however the last U17 camp was MLS centric [20 of 25], so why not have them pay for it?  , I am all for the best prospects being called, even if each MLS Academy had 3 players it would benefit them, hands off financing?  A successful national Team program is a benefit for the MLS teams.  No way Miller and Johnston would bring in top dollars to Montreal without their National Team performances.

But both those guys you mentioned had no parts in an MLS Academy.

So while I get the idea of what you are saying, I just think giving more power to the MLS teams (which is essentially what would happen if they are funding these said camps) would be a step backward in the youth development aspect.

The CSA should be running these camps so the players called are based on merit and not because they are simply in an MLS academy. Sadly, I have heard stories of that already happening with how it is now. 

Having said that, if we don’t actually run any camps, I can appreciate why some would like the MLS teams to pay as then at least some of our youth would gain these experiences rather than none of them. 

I would say we could possibly get a sponsor to pay for the costs, but legitimate question, would any sponsorship have to go to CSB? Is that part of the players’ anger with that deal?

On 11/7/2022 at 8:41 PM, red card said:

Matt Hartman is a real expert on US youth soccer - good listen when he shows up on the Scuffed podcast. Unlike other Americans, he doesn't hype players & isn't afraid to say a young player isn't up to par to make a US youth team.

Whats Crazy is that is only the known talent ..