Canada vs New Zealand - March 24, 2018 - Friendly - PRE-match thread

Ansem

GK: Borjan, Leutweiler

D: Adekugbe, James, Gasparotto, Stanese...Sadiki? Probably going to have to call some MLS guys. Corbin-Ong all the way from Malaysia???

MF: Hutch, Arfield, Hoilett, Elva, Froese, Wotherspoon, Twardek...

F: Larin, Haber, Zanatta

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

GK: Borjan, Leutweiler

D: Adekugbe, James, Gasparotto, Stanese...Sadiki? Probably going to have to call some MLS guys. Corbin-Ong all the way from Malaysia???

MF: Hutch, Arfield, Hoilett, Elva, Froese, Wotherspoon, Twardek...

F: Larin, Haber, Zanatta

I think you absolutely have to have Manny Aparicio, he is playing the same place as Piette was last year, and getting minutes. You can't argue its a lower level than Scottish 2nd tier. And he's still very young.

Straith goes for sure BTW. I was also thinking of Adekugbe.

We need a third keeper to train, maybe Latrendess-Leveque, or from MLS, Crepeau.

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think you absolutely have to have Manny Aparicio, he is playing the same place as Piette was last year, and getting minutes. You can't argue its a lower level than Scottish 2nd tier. And he's still very young.

Straith goes for sure BTW. I was also thinking of Adekugbe.

Aparicio is not in competition for minutes with someone from 2nd tier Scotland though. 

Forgot about Straith and Vitoria. Straith could slot in at RB, not really anyone else on that has before.

5 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Aparicio is not in competition for minutes with someone from 2nd tier Scotland though. 

Forgot about Straith and Vitoria. Straith could slot in at RB, not really anyone else on that has before.

I wasn't sure what you were saying at first, now I get it. He is a potential understudy for an Arfield or Hoillet it seems to me, from where he's been playing. I mean this in the way Piette was understudying for De Guzman at the start. I like the idea of knowing where someone fits in, a starter, a cover in case of injury, a late sub. Filler for training sessions.

8 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Who would we like to see called up for this friendly? A few Euro-based players to consider:

F: Liam Millar

M: Stephen Eustaquio, Kianz Froese

D: Gabriel Boakye

Liam is one of my favourite players in our program. I'm just not sure if he is ready for the senior level yet. He has dominated U18 with Liverpool and is starting to get more U23 minutes. But he's never played at the senior level before, so I'm not sure if he is quite ready for CMNT yet. When he establishes himself with U23 and starts playing really well there, or gets a loan to a pro team elsewhere, we should call him up.

One note of advice about Liam Millar is to not wait too long to get him into a camp for a look see.There could be a risk of another nation calling him to a lower age group camp if, in fact, he is eligible for another nation. There has to be some type of "Wow" factor to set the hook, so to speak, with a young guy who displays so much potential. Millar does not at all need to play lots of minutes versus NZ, but rubbing shoulders with the seniors cannot be a bad thing.

17 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

One note of advice about Liam Millar is to not wait too long to get him into a camp for a look see.There could be a risk of another nation calling him to a lower age group camp if, in fact, he is eligible for another nation. There has to be some type of "Wow" factor to set the hook, so to speak, with a young guy who displays so much potential. Millar does not at all need to play lots of minutes versus NZ, but rubbing shoulders with the seniors cannot be a bad thing.

This is the kind of young guy that Herdman will probably be really working on to get into the program and then hopefully his game continues on an upward trajectory at club level.

9 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Who would we like to see called up for this friendly? A few Euro-based players to consider:

F: Liam Millar

M: Stephen Eustaquio, Kianz Froese

D: Gabriel Boakye

FYI Boakye has been playing as a striker lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Defender Milovan Kapor, now in Belarus, should be there too.  Another guy I'd love to see is Derek Cornelius.  20 year old defender seeing minutes in the top Serbian league.  Could also represent Jamaica so it would be nice to bring him back into the program (he did play for our u17s).  And Massih Wassey is probably worth another look, having a very consistent year for a top-2 team in the Bundesliga III. Reminds me a bit of Pacheco.  Never an exciting option but you could always slot him in at any time and he would put in a solid performance.  Strong football iq.  Might be fun to see him on the field with Arfield and Hoilett.

24 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Defender Milovan Kapor, now in Belarus, should be there too.  Another guy I'd love to see is Derek Cornelius.  20 year old defender seeing minutes in the top Serbian league.  Could also represent Jamaica so it would be nice to bring him back into the program (he did play for our u17s).  And Massih Wassey is probably worth another look, having a very consistent year for a top-2 team in the Bundesliga III. Reminds me a bit of Pacheco.  Never an exciting option but you could always slot him in at any time and he would put in a solid performance.  Strong football iq.  Might be fun to see him on the field with Arfield and Hoilett.

Cornelius was in Florida with U23 last month and was the strongest defender per reports. Still pretty raw but seems he was the top defender in the group that was called.

I wouldn't bring Kacher right now since he'll still be in preaseason. I think if you really want to look at him, wait in June when he'll be ready. It goes the same way for players who are in the same situation like him except those who are mainstays on the national team or fit a certain need that we don't have.  

Vitoria called to New Zealand game re Canucks Abroad Twitter.  

Wondering if Wotherspoon gets his passport in time if starting lineup might look something like this:

Larin

Hoilett                                     Froese

Arfield       Wotherspoon

Straith

Adakugbe          Vitoria          Kapor

James

Borjan

Not even sure Kapor plays RB tbh, if not maybe Gasparotto slots in at CB and James slides to the right?

Also wondering if a few North American depth players get called such as Ashtone Morgan, David Choiniere, or even Nik Ledgerwood if he's in game shape yet.

Secretly hoping one or two really young prospects get the call just for fun: maybe Liam Millar and Jonathan David?

Archived