Canada vs New Zealand - March 24, 2018 - Friendly - PRE-match thread

Ansem

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get some young European based prospects here:  Miller from the Liverpool Academy, Adekugbe, Cornelius, Stanese, etc. mixed in with (hopefully) our (few) proven best Euro guys.  There's no need to make up the back up guy numbers with veteran journeymen if you have Arfield, Hoillet, and (fingers crossed) Hutch in the squad. 

Herdman's future is tied to the young guys on the cusp of better things to come.

11 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I would like to see Cavallini get a call up. The game is in being played Spain right? His goal is to play in Europe, well it could be a great showcase for him. He’s playing well, he  deserves it. 

in the past there has been interest from Tenerife

1 hour ago, Miguel said:

My 11

Borjan

Petrasso. James Jakovic Agdebuke

Piette Huchinsson

Arfield                                   Hoillet

Cavallini Larin

Good 11!!!... I would venture Herdman to try a way to get Ballou on board (maybe he can be Davies version for this camp, particularly since CANMNT will be down in Spain and he is within reach, hahaha) 

23 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Would rather see Didic or Cornelius or even Henry (if he's fit) than Vitoria at CB. Vitoria is reliable, but old and slow so time to move on ahead of LoN and next qualifying cycle. Beyond leadership, afraid I don't see a role for Ledgerwood anymore.

Agree 100 %... Vitória has slowed down and not been very impressive starting from that QF game at GC and plus doesn't seem to be playing much with his club...As for Ledgerwood, I think he is redundant now, no place for him imo and with all respect never been a fan of him

On 2018-02-02 at 1:14 AM, dsqpr said:

I'm glad we are at least playing but "behind closed doors" means "training match" to me, rather than "friendly", per se.

I’ll bet that the CSA wanted it “behind closed doors” just in case Herdman ( CSA  board of Directors wonder kid ) shits the bed against New Zealand. 

10 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Agree 100 %... Vitória has slowed down and not been very impressive starting from that QF game at GC and plus doesn't seem to be playing much with his club...As for Ledgerwood, I think he is redundant now, no place for him imo and with all respect never been a fan of him

Ledgerwood is a proud Canadian. Never left anything on the pitch when the maple leaf was on his chest so tons of respect for him. Grateful for his commitment to MNT 100% during some dark times. Just think he's a step or 2 off now from international football.

38 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Hoping Herdman understood that Larin should be paired with another striker. He can't play up front on his own for us.

Herdman literally has the chance to make a revolutionary impact by playing with 2 strikers. If he doesn't, I can't see what he'll do differently then Floro park the bus, or free flowing attack from Zambrano. 

So general thinking is the roster will mainly be Europe based players....maybe Wotherspoon will be Herdmans big reveal to the fans.  Should see Froese, Wassey, Saidiki, Kapor, Gasparatto, Zanetta, Millar etc, some of the less established guys in camp.  I guess it depends on whether some of the northamerican guys make the trip.  Wouldnt surprise me if Cavallini, Cordova etc, some are called that are needed to fill holes in the roster (striker, RB).  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So general thinking is the roster will mainly be Europe based players....maybe Wotherspoon will be Herdmans big reveal to the fans.  Should see Froese, Wassey, Saidiki, Kapor, Gasparatto, Zanetta, Millar etc, some of the less established guys in camp.  I guess it depends on whether some of the northamerican guys make the trip.  Wouldnt surprise me if Cavallini, Cordova etc, some are called that are needed to fill holes in the roster (striker, RB).  

Do you see any chance of Herdman working hard in integrating Ballou into the mix since he is now Europe-based and on top of that Spain-based?... He seems to have a knack from what I know of integrating highly rated youth into the fold, certainly he demonstrated it with CANWNT (look Huitema, Grosso) no further... Maybe the biggest shocker of all (in a positive way)?.. Or you think its a dead dream?.. Will like to know your thoughts Bison.

I have no idea, but Tabla probably wont make any decisions in the near future.  Think Hoilet 2.0.  If I was training with Messi, Suarez etc, spending my free time wandering the countryside with UT as my guide, I wouldnt give any national team any thought.  

This would be my pick for the  New Zealand game. The names in  brackets are replacement players if they can’t get dual to change or  injured. What do you think ? 

Cavallini    Larin

Hoilett     Arfield   Wassey    Wotherspoon

Adekugbe    James   Edgar      Cordova

Borjan (Leutwiler)

Subs - GK - Alexandre Fillion, GK ( Breza ) - Leutwiler ( Thomas) , CB Vitória , CB Gasparotto, LB Gutiérrez ( Sukunda) , RB Brault-Guillard , RM Cebara, AM Elva, DM Eustáquio ( Trafford ) CF Millar, CF Haber , LM Twardek

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

This would be my pick for the  New Zealand game. The names in  brackets are replacement players if they can’t get dual to change or  injured. What do you think ? 

Cavallini    Larin

Hoilett     Arfield   Wassey    Wotherspoon

Adekugbe    James   Edgar      Cordova

Borjan (Leutwiler)

Subs - GK - Alexandre Fillion, GK ( Breza ) - Leutwiler ( Thomas) , CB Vitória , CB Gasparotto, LB Gutiérrez ( Sukunda) , RB Brault-Guillard , RM Cebara, AM Elva, DM Eustáquio ( Trafford ) CF Millar, CF Haber , LM Twardek

Really like this projected 11, lmfao!!!!... I'm not too sure about Edgar, maybe I'll swap him with his now teammate Henry????... Both have been injured long-term over the last year, otherwise curious to see your reasoning regarding your pick for Edgar, lol...Who exactly is Sukunda btw????... Just looked him up in the CSA site and does not have a profile.. Whereabouts is he playing???.. Also, would you think that there would be any possibility of Herdman reaching out to perhaps Tomori??? ... They got the British(English) connection in them, lmfao... But course it means crap in getting him on board... Would you also say like Bison mentioned to me that Ballou is Hoilett 2.0????...  For Eustáquio , do you mean Mauro????.... 

HAHA, good one PERU. I am just a big fan!   I dont know much, but there is so much knowledge on this board its ridiculous.  From the old geezers that were there in the 70-90s with NASL and CSL fans, to the guys who seemingly know the details of every player anywhere with a tie to Canada (TOJE).  Toje should be getting salary from CSA.  To me the board is like the Walmart of CDN soccer, its all here in one spot.  

As for Herdman, he is smart enough to know that if he doesnt get a fence sitter or two to commit it will be hard to have any huge changes in the CMNT fortunes in the short term.  If he can flip Tabla or Tomori, bring Wotherspoon, Eustaquio around and keep Cavallini motivated for canada, he will be able to have enough success on the pitch to give time for any big systematic changes to start working.  

1 hour ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Really like this projected 11, lmfao!!!!... I'm not too sure about Edgar, maybe I'll swap him with his now teammate Henry????... Both have been injured long-term over the last year, otherwise curious to see your reasoning regarding your pick for Edgar, lol...Who exactly is Sukunda btw????... Just looked him up in the CSA site and does not have a profile.. Whereabouts is he playing???.. Also, would you think that there would be any possibility of Herdman reaching out to perhaps Tomori??? ... They got the British(English) connection in them, lmfao... But course it means crap in getting him on board... Would you also say like Bison mentioned to me that Ballou is Hoilett 2.0????...  For Eustáquio , do you mean Mauro????.... 

I pick Edgar over  Henry , because Henry  is finally with a team and training for the upcoming season he can’t afford to go get hurt in an useless friendly. Edgar doesn’t have a team, he was training in Vancouver, if he’s healthy, Edgar needs games. Edgar is a good CB with a ton of  experience, he  deserves a chance to get his  career  back together, a game with Canada will help. 

Sukunda is a LB who played in the USL 44 games I think with FC Montreal . Last year he played for Umeå FC in Sweden, Yann-Alexandre Fillion was on loan there as well from FC Zürich. He’s a young player 22 years old. He’s currently playing in  Australia for Hume City FC. 

Tomori would be awesome!

Stephen Eustáquio, Mauro’s younger brother. Plays for GD Chaves in Ligas Nos ( First division Portugal)

Absolutely agree @Bison44.... I'm a big fan myself and I agree 110% that every info CANMNT related or Canadian soccer in general, you get in this board... I'm just amazed as to how much I've learned/find out concerning CANMNT, Canadian footie in here and like you absolutely love it, lol.... Its ridiculous how ur regular mainstream media (I.e. Newspapers, Sports station like Sportsnet, TSN) don't give sufficient coverage except for big games, even then it's quite minute what they provide... Shameful really!!!... Ill love to work in conjunction with Toje about covering everything CANMNT related, us 2 and u would be huge assets for the CSA, lmao... They're missing out on some great minds there, lol.. I totally relate to the duals and their hesitation to play for CANMNT as I myself would be torn in that sense... But I'm hoping some at least commit, really like this new generation of players coming up from CANMNT (including some of the fence-sitters who are eligible)... I'm really hopeful we'll qualify for 2022 and getting some of these duals will really boost our chances imo... I'm sure you and many in here got your fingers crossed for that...

#CANMNTFOR2022

On 2/24/2018 at 12:57 AM, SpecialK said:

I would like to see Cavallini get a call up. The game is in being played Spain right? His goal is to play in Europe, well it could be a great showcase for him. He’s playing well, he  deserves it. 

He plays on the 16th and not again until the 31st,  should give him the time to get his legs recovered and certainly there must be a direct flight from mexico to spain. 

He might need a bit of R&R and daddy time to prep for Puebla in the last 4-6 weeks of the Clausura, his squad is in the mix and he has been a vital part of that!

Selfishly of course I want him there, not 100% certain it makes sense, we will see. I do agree, would be a nice opportunity to showcase himself and in the country of Spain, he is definitely in form and could be great opportunity for him.

Also, maybe great opportunity for us! we could line up with 2 strikers up top, assuming Larin is called. :)

I'd love to see us play a 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2.

Archived