Jonathan David

Vince193

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

PSG playing Nice tonight/today, a win for the champions mean David's Lille get some kind of Champions League chance next year.

So PSG win and ensure that Lille at least get the CL qualifying round. 

Lille play Nice on the last day and because Nice lost today, they only have Europa league and can’t move spots (the nearest teams are 4 points away both up and down).  The game against Lille is essentially a dead rubber for them whereas Lille can still secure the 3rd and final automatic CL spot over Brest.  Lille just need to do the job on the final day at home.  

IMG_3842.jpeg

On 5/14/2024 at 9:16 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Diakité, Yoro are definitely gone, I would be shocked if there aren’t big offers for Zhegrova, Chevalier is also destined to join a big club soon. Haraldsson probably has one, two tops, seasons left before he moves on. Lille needs to sell David and get the next 20 year old striker from Belgium or Netherlands in the system to keep things moving. I think Lille will not be as good next year. 

Just seen Angel is also linked with a bunch of Premier League clubs including us. 

I remember quite some time ago other Premier League clubs too were also tied to Jonathan David such as Arsenal, Manchester United, Newcastle among others. But could David play in EPL? I definitely would want to see him there but if he stays in France then he's either staying at Lille or he goes to PSG since Mbappe is leaving.

16 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Romano has Fonesca close to the Milan job.

Would not mind if David followed.

It really is between Napoli and Milan right now but if David goes to Serie A, we get to see yet another Canadian playing in Serie A and with him going to either of those teams, he gets to face Tajon on a regular basis over there. So I would love it.

David, who had been set to leave last summer before ultimately staying at the Stade Pierre Mauroy, could also stay once again. “Of course, you could see me in a Lille shirt again. There was always the rumour announcing my departure last season but I stayed. In addition, we have the chance to play in the Champions League. There is a chance [that I stay],” the Canada international told La Voix du Nord

20 hours ago, Obinna said:

@masster you seem to be rather plugged into Serie A. What's your opinion on Napoli vs AC Milan for David?

Others who follow the league close please also feel free to share an opinion.

Thanks!

It is interesting you ask because there are a lot of similarities between those situations.

Both teams will be getting new managers next season, so that makes it really hard to judge from an on field perspective.

In either scenario, he would be replacing a quality, well-respected striker. This means that there would be immediate production expectations on him at both teams. I would think that it would be easier to fill Giroud's shoes as opposed to Osimhen's shoes at this point of their careers (although David did follow Osimhen at Lille).

On neither team would he be considered THE star...Milan has Leao while Napoli has Kvaratskhelia, both being incredibly explosive, dynamic wingers playing on his left side. Given the rosters as they stand, he would probably get more support and service at Milan, but I expect more turnover of the Napoli squad.

I would say the biggest difference is cultural, the fanbase, or as they say in Italy, the 'piazza'. Napoli's football club is a reflection of their city: chaotic, volatile, erratic. The highs are euphorically high and the lows are dramatically low. Would David's apparent even keeled nature help him overcome the craziness? Maybe

At Milan, the expectations are higher and the leash would be shorter. All you have to do is look at how they chewed up and spit out De Ketelaere. A slow start or a few bad performances and the fans will turn on you quick, perhaps permanently.

Milan fans are expecting the team to challenge Inter next season. While Napoli fans would probably be happy just getting back into the Champions League.

Posted (edited)

It's like Lille refuse to accept the concept of added time.  I admire their commitment to principles, but today is not the first time this season they have gone from winning at 90' to losing at FT.  thrown away a result after 90'.

Edited by kacbru
goal called back.

18 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Seems like a smart guy imo.   He enjoys Lille no doubt and doesn’t want to alienate the fans.  Close to being a club legend and right before a huge match he’s saying all the right things.  Also, he’s letting other clubs know that they better have enticing offers for him to move…

David is a goal machine at Lille 

Roma eh? That is interesting. It almost feels lateral to me.

Better league obviously, but what are they the 4th, 5th, or 6th strongest team in a given season? That's pretty much Lille's ranking in France. He'd probably get a lot more rope at Roma though, versus Milan or Atletico, who are genuine top 3 clubs in their leagues. 

I would prefer the other destinations, but I don't hate the idea of Roma, I guess.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think Roma is going to make Champions League now that Atalanta won Europa League 

Along with most of Serie A.😉

Congrats to them by the way, great season (really last couple.) And great to see more than 2 federations at the top of the co-efficient.  

Edit: I believe that Atalanta need to finish 5th and only 5th and lose the Coppa Italia final for the 6th team to get a spot.  

Clear as mud?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford