Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, saladroit said:

So are the Caps gonna sign a legit LW or a CM (Nosa?) or not. Team looks pretty underwhelming as is.

The Caps aren't done yet. One if not both of those positions will be addressed in the transfer window. Also keep in mind that the Caps value the Superdraft as highly as any team in the league and have come out of every draft thinking they've got an MLS starter (with a fairly high hit rate). They are a prime candidate to trade up in the draft.

20 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The Caps aren't done yet. One if not both of those positions will be addressed in the transfer window. Also keep in mind that the Caps value the Superdraft as highly as any team in the league and have come out of every draft thinking they've got an MLS starter (with a fairly high hit rate). They are a prime candidate to trade up in the draft.

Trade up for...who?  You havnt sounded too excited about this class, is there someone you have your eye on Harry??  Montreal has a couple top 10 picks, HEHE.  Or is it safer to wait until after the combine?  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Trade up for...who?  You havnt sounded too excited about this class, is there someone you have your eye on Harry??  Montreal has a couple top 10 picks, HEHE.  Or is it safer to wait until after the combine?  

Day 1 starters- Tomas Hillard-Arce, Jon Bakero

Potential MLS difference makers in 1-2 years- Francis Atuahene, Mason Toye, Joao Moutinho, Justin Fiddles

Hit or miss raw talent- Ema Twumasi, Rafa Santos, Tristian Blackmon, Mohamed Thiaw

High floor, low ceiling MLS-quality depth- Mo Adams, Chris Mueller,  Arthur Bosua, Danny Musovski

Would have been the first pick in last year's SuperDraft but didn't accept the GA deal and couldn't buy a goal in 2017, so idk- Gordon Wild

Rest of the class is nothing to write come about. Highest quality NCAA season in memory, but most of the best players have been signed to HG deals. Chris Lema, a NYRB player who wasn't offered a HG deal or RBII contract, is expected to go in the first round...which tells you something about the quality past pick 15. 

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Superdraft is a good point. With Robbo talking about going to a 3 at the back system and us not having a left footed/ball playing CB, I wonder if we'll trade for, say, Joao Moutinho. He could also cover in central midfield or even at left back.

23 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Potential MLS difference makers in 1-2 years- Francis Atuahene, Mason Toye, Joao Moutinho, Justin Fiddles

Hit or miss raw talent- Ema Twumasi, Rafa Santos, Tristian Blackmon, Mohamed Thiaw

High floor, low ceiling MLS-quality depth- Mo Adams, Chris Mueller,  Arthur Bosua, Danny Musovski

Would have been the first pick in last year's SuperDraft but didn't accept the GA deal and couldn't buy a goal in 2017, so idk- Gordon Wild

Rest of the class is nothing to write come about. Highest quality NCAA season in memory, but most of the best players have been signed to HG deals. Chris Lema, a NYRB player who wasn't offered a HG deal or RBII contract, is expected to go in the first round...which tells you something about the quality past pick 15. 

That is an interesting list, do you really follow NCAA that closely?

And my real question: Why do you say Mueller is so low down if he was one of the three offered a senior contract? Just curious.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is an interesting list, do you really follow NCAA that closely?

And my real question: Why do you say Mueller is so low down if he was one of the three offered a senior contract? Just curious.

I can't say that I follow NCAA soccer all too closely, but I do follow NCAA recruiting and USSDA play a significant amount. It's fairly obvious who the MLS calibre players in a class will be by the end of it's sophomore year, and players like Chris Lema I've known about since he was 15. So, when this time of year rolls around I'm decently knowledgeable on the top 20ish player.

Mueller has a great cross and is one of the most technical players in the NCAA, but he was a player without a position in college. I don't know where he plays in the pros. He doesn't have a great shot, is too slow to play on the wing, and relies too much on open wide spaces to make noise from the 10. He's a player that you need to build your system around to make best use of him on the field, and those players rarely make a big impact at the next level.

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I can't say that I follow NCAA soccer all too closely, but I do follow NCAA recruiting and USSDA play a significant amount. It's fairly obvious who the MLS calibre players in a class will be by the end of it's sophomore year, and players like Chris Lema I've known about since he was 15. So, when this time of year rolls around I'm decently knowledgeable on the top 20ish player.

Mueller has a great cross and is one of the most technical players in the NCAA, but he was a player without a position in college. I don't know where he plays in the pros. He doesn't have a great shot, is too slow to play on the wing, and relies too much on open wide spaces to make noise from the 10. He's a player that you need to build your system around to make best use of him on the field, and those players rarely make a big impact at the next level.

He sounds a bit like Bustos.

6 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I've never seen the guy in my life but you provide a very thoughtful and insightful description. 

On 1/11/2018 at 7:49 AM, harrycoyster said:

Thanks for the insight @harrycoyster.

Just made the link between Jon Bakero and José Mari Bakero! Nice family roots to have for an aspiring footballer.

4 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Thanks for the insight @harrycoyster.

Just made the link between Jon Bakero and José Mari Bakero! Nice family roots to have for an aspiring footballer.

What I can't figure out is how the guy is 6'2". 

I think José Mari, who was Barça captain when his kid was small, made an interesting decision to get his kid to go to school and not follow a soccer career as the only priority. Because most would never do that. The other thing, Jon was not clearly a future pro prospect when a kid, he was at okay but not top level academies. So for Bakero Jr to finish school and excel in the game has to be a real vindication for him. 

It is of course an exceptional circumstance.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:49 PM, harrycoyster said:

Adding to this that Wyatt Omsberg, a CB from Dartmouth, is reportedly going to be a top ten pick. I've never heard of him, but he was a 4 year starter at Dartmouth and has European offers.  Northwestern's head coach said he'll be a USMNT player today and Sigi Schmid said he's in LA's consideration at second overall.

45 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Just in case there's anyone out there who actually thought Montero was returning:

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/fredy-montero-headed-for-lisbon

Too bad!!!!... He looked good with the Caps this past season, not to mention he build some great chemistry with Reyna in some of the Caps lead-up plays last season.... For some reason they went on to get Blondell, lets see if he fills the void

Brutal loss. Vancouver has huge regression possibilities this year with their big 2016 over-performance compared to their underlying numbers, the loss of Montero, whom was quietly a top-10, top-15 guy in the league, the loss of Waston to the WC and the fact that the West probably won't be as bad as it was last year.

43 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Brutal loss. Vancouver has huge regression possibilities this year with their big 2016 over-performance compared to their underlying numbers, the loss of Montero, whom was quietly a top-10, top-15 guy in the league, the loss of Waston to the WC and the fact that the West probably won't be as bad as it was last year.

I am not sure they've regressed, to be honest.  Having said that, if they do not solve the middle of the pitch, then they are destined to poop the bed.  They needed somebody like Nosa who could win back the ball, be very tidy in possession, and pass effectively to the wingers and Reyna. A guy like Hutch or even Arfield would have done the trick.  The back line is as good as it was last year, maybe a bit better if Jake develops a bit more.  They are deeper up front, and the wings are pretty decent--though they could use one more option--but it is the middle of the pitch and the link between backline and attackers that worries me. It is the same worry I had last year.  But I agree that we should not expect parity in the West this year. 

Archived