Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ansem said:

If that is the reason, and he understands it is in his best interests, it makes sense. If he is opposed and thinks he deserves a chance, then we could see him moving when he hits 18, out of frustration or spite even. He really should be taking every game day as the chance to trial for future prospects, and mature as a player that way.

I suppose he is a semester behind in his schooling, understandable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The Caps cap their season tickets at 15,500. The waiting list was over 1,000 around midseason

Why do the Caps cap their season tickets when they have such a huge stadium? Paul Bierne once explained to me the reasons for capping season tickets such as season tickets have reduced prices, keeping fresh customers coming in to grow fan base and sell merchandise and a variety of other reasons. However, if you have a stadium that is really big like the Caps do it seems like it would make more sense to sell as many season tickets as possible. It is not inconceivable that they could grow the fan base enough to open up the upper deck. Shouldn't they strive to get a fanbase like in Seattle, a city of similar size?

10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Why do the Caps cap their season tickets when they have such a huge stadium? Paul Bierne once explained to me the reasons for capping season tickets such as season tickets have reduced prices, keeping fresh customers coming in to grow fan base and sell merchandise and a variety of other reasons. However, if you have a stadium that is really big like the Caps do it seems like it would make more sense to sell as many season tickets as possible. It is not inconceivable that they could grow the fan base enough to open up the upper deck. Shouldn't they strive to get a fanbase like in Seattle, a city of similar size?

It is a sort of all or nothing situation, they prefer to not open the upper tier unless they have a significant number of fans wanting tickets, they don't want it open for a few thousand extra only. 

I don't know if you have been, but if you've seen it, they drop that half roof so the upper tier is less visible, and you play with just lower tier. Which I think has an MLS capacity at just above 22,000. In fact a lot of the lower tier is also blocked off in most games, and just opens up for demand. 

At 21 thousand, more or less full, it feels full too, so the atmosphere is better. Not the sound, which is poor (you can be in one supporter section thinkng you are rocking it, and two sections away they can hardly hear you), but the general feel. 

The reason I asked is because I last watched the Caps a few times in 2015 and out of the blue last week I received a phone message from their ticket office staff wondering if I was interested in seeing games for this upcoming season, probably pushing their five match package.  I live in the interior of BC so I can't go down and watch games regularly for a variety of reasons (not the least of which being cost factor for travel).  It seemed odd that they would phone me this year and not the previous year to make this pitch.  Made me ask myself, "What's up?"

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The reason I asked is because I last watched the Caps a few times in 2015 and out of the blue last week I received a phone message from their ticket office staff wondering if I was interested in seeing games for this upcoming season, probably pushing their five match package.  I live in the interior of BC so I can't go down and watch games regularly for a variety of reasons (not the least of which being cost factor for travel).  It seemed odd that they would phone me this year and not the previous year to make this pitch.  Made me ask myself, "What's up?"

A few years ago, maybe not last or the before but also 2015, I was regularly called. I have to say some of their sales people were excellent, really well trained, personalized attention. Maybe they were on commission. Also emails regularly, as is still the case.

I just assume they have changed their marketing models, but I have to say: being called personally does raise the quality of the service, IMO. I am also a fan only there a few months of the year, but now I request tix through supporter groups, to back their efforts as well. 

^You live in the Vancouver area when you're not in Spain, right?  I could see you getting a lot sales rep action.  But me, 6+ hours drive away and needing to pay for accommodation when there?  If you are trying to get a commission, a sales rep would be better served hitting up that season ticket waiting list to generate action. 

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

^You live in the Vancouver area when you're not in Spain, right?  I could see you getting a lot sales rep action.  But me, 6+ hours drive away and needing to pay for accommodation when there?  If you are trying to get a commission, a sales rep would be better served hitting up that season ticket waiting list to generate action. 

I don't think they are that subtle, they have a list of names and they call. They have no idea where you live, they just know you are a past buyer. 

I am in Spain most of the year, in Vancouver in summers if I can get work, but have a little advantage: I can walk to BC Place from where I usually stay in about 10 minutes, very convenient for me. 

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Whats the cost of opening and staffing the upper bowl? If you are only putting an extra thousand or so in there is there any point? Hopefully they would get to a point the season ticket waiting list can force a change. 

You have to appreciate that you have to put a steward on each section they open, you should open concessions, which may not be worth it depending on numbers,  and after you have to clean it. Unless you seriously restrict where fans are up there, you have to walk every row and aisle to check what may have been left and properly clean. So there is a cost, but I don't think that is why they don't open it. If they wanted they could sit fans in some central sections and concentrate them in a few, add a few thousand more. But they don't.

IMO they keep the lower bowl only because it looks better and feels better. One of the few things the Caps do that I agree with. 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I came across this article from the summer discussing the attendance situations for the Caps and the Lions.  You can read into it what you would like.

So basically under public disclosure law they are required to announce real attendance, not paid attendance, but they refuse to do so. Or at least have until now. A position that cannot be sustained, because, as one analyst says, not doing so would not clearly hurt their business. 

What I don't get is why MLS does not standardize attendance gathering methods, so that the entire league might count scanned turnstile attendance, so to be able to properly compare figures.

I am confused, since BC Place announces their lower bowl MLS capacity at around 22,100, but they say they got over 24,000 for the  playoff game vs. Portland last season. How does that figure?

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think they are that subtle, they have a list of names and they call. They have no idea where you live, they just know you are a past buyer. 

They'll have my address on file when they check for my number.  But you are right, they are looking for past buyers.  It's just interesting that they didn't bother calling me last year prior to the start of the 2017 season, when they would have noticed I didn't attend any games in 2016.  I guess they didn't think they needed my business at that time.

Archived