Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

The Caps have reportedly bid $1.3 million for Venezuelan international Anthony Blondell. He is considered a top player in the Venezuelan domestic league and had 13 goals in 23 matches for his club last season. He's 23 years old and also has offers from Brazil and Mexico. Would be a DP and Montero replacement. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Skeptical about paying Shea DP wages, and I am not convinced Tchani has a role on this team if Laba, Ghazal and Nosa are signed and healthy

Very surprised that Shea is back on a DP cap hit, if true.  Poor use of resources.  Tchani was underwhelming, at best.  However...maybe hoping to sign these other guys back on cheaper deals is a good move by management, who knows?  Might play out well.

8 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The Caps have reportedly bid $1.3 million for Venezuelan international Anthony Blondell. He is considered a top player in the Venezuelan domestic league and had 13 goals in 23 matches for his club last season. He's 23 years old and also has offers from Brazil and Mexico. Would be a DP and Montero replacement. 

Here's a highlights compilation. Much more size than some of our recent striker signings, and is pretty mobile too.

Excited if we get him and yes: I acknowledge that the Venezuelan league isn't great quality. But recently, guys like Yangel Herrera and Jefferson Savarino have come to MLS directly from the Venezuelan league and are some of the best players in MLS in their positions. 

On 11/29/2017 at 1:14 AM, harrycoyster said:

Official. Bought down to a TAM player.

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

We are reportedly interested in trading for Gyasi Zardes from LA. He's the textbook definition of a Robbo player, so I wouldn't bet against it.

If so, seems like Robbo is loading up on big, fairly speedy players.  The team is getting taller, for sure. Shea, Ibini, Blondell, Ghazal, Tchani, and Zardes if that happens. Any sense of who we might be giving up for Zardes? I DO feel that Zardes needs a new environment, that he still has a lot more to offer.

But none of these moves means anything if we do not have a general in the middle, and at the moment we still do not have that player. Nosa is by far the closest, but he is not yet signed. Unless Robbo has somebody in mind for that role, I'd say sign Nosa as fast as you can.

38 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

If so, seems like Robbo is loading up on big, fairly speedy players.  The team is getting taller, for sure. Shea, Ibini, Blondell, Ghazal, Tchani, and Zardes if that happens. Any sense of who we might be giving up for Zardes? I DO feel that Zardes needs a new environment, that he still has a lot more to offer.

But none of these moves means anything if we do not have a general in the middle, and at the moment we still do not have that player. Nosa is by far the closest, but he is not yet signed. Unless Robbo has somebody in mind for that role, I'd say sign Nosa as fast as you can.

LA is going to want TAM/GAM to go get players. No idea what Zardes would go for, but it appears the Caps, Minnesota, DC, and Columbus are all in talks with LA....so it might be a decent amount.

I have little doubt that we are bringing in a DP #6 this offseason. We came very close to signing Hutchinson this summer and Robbo has constantly talked about the lack of quality at the position this season. If Montero doesn't come back, I see our big signings being a DP midfielder, a Zardes type utility player, a starting calibre true winger, and a MLS free agent like Beckerman who can give you 600 great minutes a year and is great with younger players.

52 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

LA is going to want TAM/GAM to go get players. No idea what Zardes would go for, but it appears the Caps, Minnesota, DC, and Columbus are all in talks with LA....so it might be a decent amount.

I have little doubt that we are bringing in a DP #6 this offseason. We came very close to signing Hutchinson this summer and Robbo has constantly talked about the lack of quality at the position this season. If Montero doesn't come back, I see our big signings being a DP midfielder, a Zardes type utility player, a starting calibre true winger, and a MLS free agent like Beckerman who can give you 600 great minutes a year and is great with younger players.

What's your take on Nosa? Can he be that DP #6? Or do you think the Caps are pursuing somebody of even higher calibre? I think of what guys like Lediero and Valeri and Vazquez have done for their sides...We need that player big time!

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

What's your take on Nosa? Can he be that DP #6? Or do you think the Caps are pursuing somebody of even higher calibre? I think of what guys like Lediero and Valeri and Vazquez have done for their sides...We need that player big time!

As of right now Tchani, Ghazal and Norman are the only holding midfielders on the roster. Nosa was released, though he's expected to be back. After bringing in Tchani in season and nearly bringing in Hutch, there is no way Robbo goes into next season without an international calibre #6.

Lediero and Valeri and Vazquez are great players, but don't really fit our style. Robbo wants to play 6 man defense and ping the ball down the line or off the striker into the path of a second striker or incoming wingers...a traditional creative 10 isn't as useful as a Michael Bradley-esque win ball->long ball midfielder.  

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Lediero and Valeri and Vazquez are great players, but don't really fit our style. Robbo wants to play 6 man defense and ping the ball down the line or off the striker into the path of a second striker or incoming wingers...a traditional creative 10 isn't as useful as a Michael Bradley-esque win ball->long ball midfielder.  

Probably true, but I remain unconvinced that the manager has the savvy to incorporate the ingredients to fit whatever style he is trying to play.  Since I doubt they'll be signing Kevin Strootman any time soon, we can look forward to more knock off imitations to fit such a role, each with significant limitations to his game. 

On 12/2/2017 at 1:32 AM, BearcatSA said:

Probably true, but I remain unconvinced that the manager has the savvy to incorporate the ingredients to fit whatever style he is trying to play.  Since I doubt they'll be signing Kevin Strootman any time soon, we can look forward to more knock off imitations to fit such a role, each with significant limitations to his game. 

I think Robbo is fairly adept at playing his system. My problem is with the system more so than the coach's proficiency in said system. I think we're in a pretty good place going into next season if we can add some depth and pick up a starting calibre CDM and winger.

Robbo was in attendance for Tigres v America in Mexico this past week. I'm putting my money on him being there for Javier Aquino. Aquino is a El Tri player, but hasn't lived up to expectations in Monterrey and is out of a contract in the summer. He'd be a DP left winger.

The Caps are also being strongly linked to ex-Sounder Obafemi Martins and Revs player Kei Kamara.

The team is building as if Yordy Reyna may spend 2018 in a jail cell.

Caps have released their protected/unprotected player list ahead of Tuesday's Expansion Draft:

Whitecaps FC Protected Players:
1. Aly Ghazal (CM)
2. Erik Hurtado (FW)
3. Kei Kamara (FW)
4. Stefan Marinovic (GK)
5. Nicolas Mezquida (AM)
6. Fredy Montero (FW)
7. Jake Nerwinski (RB)
8. Tim Parker (CB)
9. Yordy Reyna (AM)
10. Tony Tchani (CM)
11. Kendall Waston (CB)

Automatically Protected Players: 
1. Sam Adekugbe (LB) – Homegrown
2. Anthony Blondell (FW) – 2018 signing
3. Marco Bustos (AM)  – Homegrown
4. Alphonso Davies (W) – Homegrown
5. Ben McKendry (CM)  – Homegrown
6. David Norman Jr. (CM) – Homegrown, 2018 signing
7. Russell Teibert (CM) – Homegrown

Available Players:
1. Christian Bolanos (W) 
2. Marcel de Jong (LB)
3. David Edgar (CB) 
4. Deybi Flores (CM) 
5. Kyle Greig (FW) 
6. Jordan Harvey (LB) 
7. Bernie Ibini (W)
8. Nosa Igiebor (CM) 
9. Andrew Jacobson (CM) 
10. Matias Laba (CM) 
11. Brett Levis (LB/W)
12. Aaron Maund (CB)
13. David Ousted (GK) 
14. Spencer Richey (GK) 
15. Mauro Rosales (W) 
16. Cole Seiler (CB) 
17. Brek Shea (W)
18. Cristian Techera (W)
19. Sheanon Williams (RB) 

Doubt Nosa, Ibini, De Jong, Bolanos, Techera or any of the internationals/key players get selected, so I'm not too worried about this. Surprised to see Reyna protected with the legal troubles and whatnot. Maybe he's staying?

6 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Caps have released their protected/unprotected player list ahead of Tuesday's Expansion Draft:

Whitecaps FC Protected Players:
1. Aly Ghazal (CM)
2. Erik Hurtado (FW)
3. Kei Kamara (FW)
4. Stefan Marinovic (GK)
5. Nicolas Mezquida (AM)
6. Fredy Montero (FW)
7. Jake Nerwinski (RB)
8. Tim Parker (CB)
9. Yordy Reyna (AM)
10. Tony Tchani (CM)
11. Kendall Waston (CB)

Automatically Protected Players: 
1. Sam Adekugbe (LB) – Homegrown
2. Anthony Blondell (FW) – 2018 signing
3. Marco Bustos (AM)  – Homegrown
4. Alphonso Davies (W) – Homegrown
5. Ben McKendry (CM)  – Homegrown
6. David Norman Jr. (CM) – Homegrown, 2018 signing
7. Russell Teibert (CM) – Homegrown

Available Players:
1. Christian Bolanos (W) 
2. Marcel de Jong (LB)
3. David Edgar (CB) 
4. Deybi Flores (CM) 
5. Kyle Greig (FW) 
6. Jordan Harvey (LB) 
7. Bernie Ibini (W)
8. Nosa Igiebor (CM) 
9. Andrew Jacobson (CM) 
10. Matias Laba (CM) 
11. Brett Levis (LB/W)
12. Aaron Maund (CB)
13. David Ousted (GK) 
14. Spencer Richey (GK) 
15. Mauro Rosales (W) 
16. Cole Seiler (CB) 
17. Brek Shea (W)
18. Cristian Techera (W)
19. Sheanon Williams (RB) 

Doubt Nosa, Ibini, De Jong, Bolanos, Techera or any of the internationals/key players get selected, so I'm not too worried about this. Surprised to see Reyna protected with the legal troubles and whatnot. Maybe he's staying?

Montero too... Is he coming back? Did i miss something? If Montero was staying i would definately feel better about the Kamara signing.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:44 PM, harrycoyster said:

Peruvian media reporting that the Caps will terminate Yordy Reyna's contract due to legal issues.

Say whaaa. hope not. Protected list should put that to rest. 

Not convinced Kamara has much left in the tank but scored only one less than Montero this season. Could be a canny signing to help Blondell settle in. At worst its the second coming of Blas.

I'd be happy to keep Shea if we can get his contract down. 

Archived