2018 Voyageurs Cup

6 minutes ago, mtroads said:

Seemed like a harsh decision on Felipe. Definitely reckless diving in like that, but looked a lot worse in slow motion than in real time.

Studs right into the ankle. No problem with the red here. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, mtroads said:

Seemed like a harsh decision on Felipe. Definitely reckless diving in like that, but looked a lot worse in slow motion than in real time.

Agree with that.   Harsh, and it changes the whole series right there.  SHould be 100% sure on a call that big, and could they have reviewed it??  Robinson seemed to be yelling for them to look at the replay. 

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Agree with that.   Harsh, and it changes the whole series right there.  SHould be 100% sure on a call that big, and could they have reviewed it??  Robinson seemed to be yelling for them to look at the replay. 

The poster you quoted said that it looked worse on slow motion. Then, you have to wonder what a replay can do for you here. I can't see this being overturned with a VAR, specially since the slow motion shows the studs are up and you have contact right in the opponent ankle.

BTW, are they using VAR int he Voyageurs Cup?

As harsh as it was, Felipe's sending off was the best thing to happen to,the Caps as they started to play well and TFC decided to start playing like shit. Vanney will be happy with a 2-2 draw but not the way it was achieved and it appears another three TFC defenders got injured tonight, hopefully Mavinga and Morgan's are just precautionary. Piss poor defending after those two went off while Altidore and Ricketts were inept up front yet somehow conjured up the tying goal. I feel bad for Doneil, other than one giveaway he played well until he decided to match Ricketts for a kamikaze defensive move, although Henry's error was more understandable mentally.

I thought all of the Canadians in this match played well with the exception of Ricketts who did make a good run to cause the Henry OG, Henry has got to be gutted to do this vs his old team, as well as he played this is why I am short on trust with him for the CMNT, he seems to always have a moment of madness!

2 minutes ago, gator said:

I thought all of the Canadians in this match played well with the exception of Ricketts who did make a good run to cause the Henry OG, Henry has got to be gutted to do this vs his old team, as well as he played this is why I am short on trust with him for the CMNT, he seems to always have a moment of madness!

Ricketts demonstrated again that he is way more effective coming off the bench than as a starter. It is too bad Hamilton didn't start instead. 

That's two matches in the vcup that TFC ties it up in the last seconds at BC place.  You can say misfortune, yes.   But the whitecap style in my opinion also plays a factor in these occurances.  They don't seem to want or value ball possession in the game.  With a bit more effort and orientation in keeping the ball late in games,  instead punting it back and surrendering possession,  they could kill the clock.  Instead, they give the opposition more last minute desparate chances.    The opposition can't score,  if the don't have the ball. And the team without the ball is more likely to commit fouls.  Playing counter attacking soccer is effective.   But there is certain point and time that you have flexible. 

Didnt see the possession stats,  but they must have been outrageous.  Especially in the first 20mins of the game

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Because you dont like their style of play they deserved to get hosed by the ref? If we carpet bombed 20million bucks on 3 players maybe we could play tiki tak football but regardless the calls were terrible

Ok,  fine then.   Their style is great!  

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ricketts demonstrated again that he is way more effective coming off the bench than as a starter. It is too bad Hamilton didn't start instead. 

He has a lack of overall technical ability, especially when receiving passes while under closer scrutiny from a defender.  Much better as a sub against tired or stretched defences where he is afforded more time and space.

If the CSA is going to decree they want to see Concacaf Champions close to where they have their lunches, just tell us, we'll let the whiners at TFC have the damn thing. 

I mean, seriously, just look at the threads on this board. At Caps we bitch about Robinson. At TFC, they pick and pick about refs. But that was a disgusting gift and the whole operation was a sham, the guy seriously looked like he was being paid by TFC.

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

As harsh as it was, Felipe's sending off was the best thing to happen to,the Caps as they started to play well and TFC decided to start playing like shit.

What a bunch of arrogant and self-serving garbage, Gian-Luca. You are basically saying that hey, if you slap these suckers around a bit, they work harder. And we can't accept that, because the call was a sham.

Save it for the TFC fans "whine about the refs constantly" thread. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What a bunch of arrogant and self-serving garbage, Gian-Luca. You are basically saying that hey, if you slap these suckers around a bit, they work harder. And we can't accept that, because the call was a sham.

That could easily be red, as the studs were up. You don't hit a ball like that so it was with intent. 

Secondly, we all know the 'Caps like to play a counter-style, so it suited them well to sit back and hit Toronto with the counter. Are you trying to blame TFC for not opening the game up in BC? Of course they just want a draw and finish t off at home. That's how these home-and away series are played worldwide. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually what I'm saying is what I think that everyone saw for themselves - after the sending off, the Caps were the better team. They played better and TFC played like crap, whereas the reverse was true before the sending off. All that other nonsense you've written here and in your other post quoting me is just that - nonsense.

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He has a lack of overall technical ability, especially when receiving passes while under closer scrutiny from a defender.  Much better as a sub against tired or stretched defences where he is afforded more time and space.

Although it has to be said, he did a pretty good impression of a wide receiver in his own 18 yard box last night!

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If the CSA is going to decree they want to see Concacaf Champions close to where they have their lunches, just tell us, we'll let the whiners at TFC have the damn thing. 

I mean, seriously, just look at the threads on this board. At Caps we bitch about Robinson. At TFC, they pick and pick about refs. But that was a disgusting gift and the whole operation was a sham, the guy seriously looked like he was being paid by TFC.

I watched the replay over and over, and not only are Felipe's studs up, his right foot never even touches the ground at any point during his dive, You can believe that the ref was biased during the game, but you stating that this shouldn't be a red is ridiculous in the extreme.

Focusing on this exact call, not on any other in the game, please explain why you think this does not warrant a red? Studs are up, and with the foot never touching the ground, there is clearly no intention of regaining possession of the ball. Without launching into a diatribe, I would like to know why you think this was clearly not a red card (not even why it's a debatable call, but rather why it was obviously not a red, in your eyes).

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Although it has to be said, he did a pretty good impression of a wide receiver in his own 18 yard box last night!

I still don't understand wtf that was. Had he been losing his balance, fine, but that was clearly not the case.

He looked like NES Super Mario jumping and hitting a brick block lol

Archived