2018 Voyageurs Cup

The TD Place pitch is wearing quickly I find.  The first year it was nice and spongy which gave it an almost grass like feel.  This year, I have found the bounces to be much higher and the ball to be running quite a bit faster; walking on it a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that as well. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, gator said:

I was on the turf at Tim Horton Field during the Forge FC launch last Thursday and although I haven't played on this surface it seemed in good shape and as much as I dislike plastic pitches this one might be ok!

Synthetic turfs are bad to start with.  But it seems that they become even more brutal after one year or two of usage.  They harden

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I felt it was the right thing to do. Alcohol may have somewhat hindered my good judgement. ;) My bad. The statement has since been deleted.

Didn't want to start a supporters group war - I simply felt that since the cup bears our name that we should remind everyone not to get to the point of open flames and pitches on fire. And this is from someone who generally likes a bit of pyro! 

Apologies to anybody offended. You can blame me.

Won't be be posting about anything club related again under the V's name... (as it should be). As @admin stated, we've got to be able to bring all fans together to fill our section on #CanMNT game days. A schism is the last thing we want or need.

With the CPL and 2026 coming, it just didn't look great for supporter culture in Canada in general and made the main headlines for CTV Ottawa.

I thought it was an appropriate statement.  Its our cup.  We are involved.  'Don't set things on fire at the football' is not too controversial a statement for the Vs.

50 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I thought it was an appropriate statement.  Its our cup.  We are involved.  'Don't set things on fire at the football' is not too controversial a statement for the Vs.

I also thought it was a reasonable statement, and reiterated our role in getting the Cup going and defending its integrity. 

Which could also be done in different ways, which we do not properly defend (we should be giving the Cup directly to every winner, participants should be properly rotated from Voyageur contingents each year, and we should, IMHO, be giving it to the team captain, never to the frigging club owner).

When you hear and see incidents like that,  your initial thoughts are: well its not me, not a group i am associated with and i dont know any of those people nor do i care what happens to them as far as punishment.  As long as there is punishment.  

But  you soon find out that all of us have a network outside of soccer that involves people who know you go to the games and sit in the supporters sections and they  dont the difference from one group or another. Or, that you dont know belong to one group but belong to another or thta there is different groups.    To the vast majority of the public,  there is no difference.   Like it or not,  we (including V’s) all get painted with wide  brush because of idiots like that. We end up havig to answer these questions.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

All SGs? I thought it was pretty clear which specific SG was the guilty party? Am I missing something out here is Saskabush?

Yea I was thinking the same thing down here in Halifax. In my eyes that was basically more of a corporate response 'see we are a responsible corporate citizen and are taking firm action'. I was always under the impression it was one particular group that caused most of the trouble (not going to name names here). Then again maybe it was a fairly innocent situation that got a bit accidently out of control - hard to say.

23 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Don’t know what Robinson was doing not bringing on Davies. Shocking to say the least.

He's our best player and we have to fly back and play Seattle on Saturday afternoon. I would have liked to have seen him but I think with Montreal having to do some travel West which is something they are not accustomed to, 1-0 sets up well for the Caps on Wednesday. I think if it was 2-0 he might have come on to get the away goal

I don't see how TFC doesn't come down hard on this.  They can't just say "boys will be boys" and move on.  Random out of control fires started by supporters groups won't help TFC sell tickets.  If you risk their bottom line, expect to get dealt with asap.

So what did the sports networks have on INSTEAD of the Canadian Championships on Wednesday night?  Before we forget....

TSN all channels but one....The ESPYS...watch the best American sports stars award themselves.   At least now there's more sports/awards for women.   They've passed the old boys network back in the 1970s that had some sportscaster vote 'Best Female Athlete' as the horse that won the Kentucky Derby.   

Sportsnet channels....WWE Monday Night Raw...I couldn't believe that one.  I know it was the day after the baseball All Star game so there was no baseball being played anywhere.  But a two day old wrestling show?  It's already been on the small Sportsnet 360 station that shows it 'live' and repeats it over again at midnight.  I can't see why the national stations then pick it up and 95% of their viewers would have thought WTF is this?   Would their ratings really have been better than Canadian soccer?   

Next Wednesday for Sportsnet it's back to endless baseball.  

3 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

So what did the sports networks have on INSTEAD of the Canadian Championships on Wednesday night?  Before we forget....

TSN all channels but one....The ESPYS...watch the best American sports stars award themselves.   At least now there's more sports/awards for women.   They've passed the old boys network back in the 1970s that had some sportscaster vote 'Best Female Athlete' as the horse that won the Kentucky Derby.   

Sportsnet channels....WWE Monday Night Raw...I couldn't believe that one.  I know it was the day after the baseball All Star game so there was no baseball being played anywhere.  But a two day old wrestling show?  It's already been on the small Sportsnet 360 station that shows it 'live' and repeats it over again at midnight.  I can't see why the national stations then pick it up and 95% of their viewers would have thought WTF is this?   Would their ratings really have been better than Canadian soccer?   

Wasn't Sportsnet also playing something like "Misplays of the month" and poker or something? the day after the MLB all star game is the slowest day in the year for sports, and they couldn't be bothered to put the games on. This coming Wednesday on SN360 it will be Plays of the Month, World Poker Tour, Misplays of the Month, during the TFC vs Ottawa game. Then during Vancouver vs Montreal it will be Highlights of the Night followed by July 23 Monday Night Raw. On TSN 2 it's going to be World Junior Hockey reruns.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:39 AM, zeelaw1555362314 said:

What are the chances of any stadium wide sanctions at BMO next week?

But the flares are cool!  Way to cover yourself in glory, [insert guilty supporters group here]. 

On 7/19/2018 at 6:47 PM, jpg75 said:

TFC suspend the privileges of all supporters groups until an investigation is completed:

https://www.tsn.ca/tfc-suspends-supporter-group-privileges-1.1143004

What, exactly, does "suspending all recognized supporter group privileges" mean? Cancelling buses to away matches? Not allowing supporters' groups to have discounts on tickets? Does it really have any effect at all?

Similarly, "banning XXX from matches"? Really? How does that work? If I was banned from a match, what would stop me from buying a ticket at the gate, in cash? Or having a friend buy a ticket for me?

9 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I don't see how TFC doesn't come down hard on this.  They can't just say "boys will be boys" and move on.  Random out of control fires started by supporters groups won't help TFC sell tickets.  If you risk their bottom line, expect to get dealt with asap.

It's also a risk to the bottom line to ban all SG privileges for an extended period of time. Without their drums, flags and capo, BMO will be fairly quiet next Wednesday if still in effect for all SGs. 

There is a reason why MLS & TFC put SG pics & video as key parts in their marketing.

6 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I have to believe that the lack of tv coverage for this years VCup is tied to the possible negotiations of a CPL deal. I would think CSB is looking at lumping in everything, CPL, CNT and the VCup into one deal very much along the lines of what SUM does in the US. 

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

I have to believe that the lack of tv coverage for this years VCup is tied to the possible negotiations of a CPL deal. I would think CSB is looking at lumping in everything, CPL, CNT and the VCup into one deal very much along the lines of what SUM does in the US. 

I wouldn't think that.  They wouldn't prioritize future deals at the expense of this years not being televised.  I think it's more likely that Sportsnet/TSN looked at the ratings from previous years and the cost of them to broadcast the games and figured they were better off financially to just air...whatever they aired instead.  Reruns of things they've already done or cheaper programming.  Because bars and what not will still put the channel on anyway.

I don't doubt that the CSB might be looking on who to sell future broadcasts, but I just don't see that being the issue this year.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I wouldn't think that.  They wouldn't prioritize future deals at the expense of this years not being televised.  I think it's more likely that Sportsnet/TSN looked at the ratings from previous years and the cost of them to broadcast the games and figured they were better off financially to just air...whatever they aired instead.  Reruns of things they've already done or cheaper programming.  Because bars and what not will still put the channel on anyway.

I don't doubt that the CSB might be looking on who to sell future broadcasts, but I just don't see that being the issue this year.

I think it is a bit of both. Did You realize there is no longer a title sponsor on the Canadian Championship this year as well?

7 hours ago, masster said:

I think it is a bit of both. Did You realize there is no longer a title sponsor on the Canadian Championship this year as well?

I did notice this, and I could see that being tied up in negotiations by the CSB.  I just think getting your product out and visible is a higher priority than a title sponsor, and I would hope that the tv deal wasn't scuttled for this year because of negotiations for next year.

7 hours ago, masster said:

There was none last year either.

Archived