CANADA vs Jamaica Pre Game 20th July 2017

canadianfoot

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 1996 said:

Adekugbe should start at left back, he played well the last game, he is becoming the present and the future at his position, MDJ is the past there is no future with him there , Adekugbe has shown he is more or less ready to play, play him, let him get that big game experience in, MDJ days with national team are winding down so if it's a choice between the two you go with the younger player of the two.

Not saying that Adekugbe should or shouldn't start but possibly he looked a little better last game having MDJ playing in front of him.  A little extra defensive help.

I like that most of the starting 11 is pretty much set.  only LB, CM and Striker are up for grabs.

Adekugbe vs DeJong.  DeJong is the better, safer option right now.  But Adekugbe needs the big game experience and he has played well enough to start. I'd go with Adekugbe.

Osorio vs Bernier is another decision. Osorio brings spark and energy and you can tell he wants to make a difference. Bernier hasn't had any stand out moments but he doesn't make mistakes and is a solid penalty taker.  Gotta go w Bernier to start and captain the side. This might be his last few games in a Canada shirt.

Larin vs Cavallini.  I don't think it would be good optics or good for team morale to have a guy walk onto the starting 11.  It's not like Cyle is doing well, has he really not scored in MLS since May? Cavallini to start.  Let's see what he can give us in a do or die game.

Tough calls all around.  I def agree re Cav vs Larin, but I am less sure of the other two.  MDJ has had a pretty solid tournament, and while I also like Adekugbe so far, it is hard to justify using a must-win to provide tourney experience.  Having said that, nothing I have seen so far makes me worry about him.  And in the middle I like Bernier's steady, solid play - but Osorio was a spark plug when he subbed in last game.  Really, for the CM or LB positions, I think I am good with whatever OZ chooses. I do feel bit more strongly about the Larin/Cav thing - in part because Cav seems like he may need a bit of gentle handling to keep him effective for us, and in part because Larin has never blown me away in a CMNT jersey.

Go with de Jong myself but I'm more inclined to attack Jamaica then I probably should be.  Hard to argue against bloodying Adekugbe in this sort of match but just don't think the lad is at that point yet where investing in his future potential trumps immediate needs.

If Bernier still has legs I'm leaning towards him if the alternative is Osario.  Have to accept that you will be committed to using a sub on him though.  That clouds my mind.  Not sure I want to carry that handicap into a knock out match against Jamaica.

21 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I like that most of the starting 11 is pretty much set.  only LB, CM and Striker are up for grabs.

Adekugbe vs DeJong.  DeJong is the better, safer option right now.  But Adekugbe needs the big game experience and he has played well enough to start. I'd go with Adekugbe.

Osorio vs Bernier is another decision. Osorio brings spark and energy and you can tell he wants to make a difference. Bernier hasn't had any stand out moments but he doesn't make mistakes and is a solid penalty taker.  Gotta go w Bernier to start and captain the side. This might be his last few games in a Canada shirt.

Larin vs Cavallini.  I don't think it would be good optics or good for team morale to have a guy walk onto the starting 11.  It's not like Cyle is doing well, has he really not scored in MLS since May? Cavallini to start.  Let's see what he can give us in a do or die game.

I agree on all 3 fronts, BUT the problem with starting Bernier and mentioning his penalty taking skills is that I doubt he'll make it to minute 90 if he starts ... this is one reason I was debating starting Oso or Teibert, and maybe subbing Bernier in if it's tied.

Bernier starts.  Keeps the ball the best under up field pressure which I sense the Jamaicans may opt for in these climate controlled conditions and is capable of springing the attacking three with a key pass.  If you start Davies on the left, I think you need De Jong's savvy and communication behind him to help him pick up open attackers.  Piette has been great at supporting the fullbacks so he can help support the Caps vet.  An underrated aspect of Hoillet's play is that he's been pretty good at helping Petrasso on the defensive side of things.

Cavallini starts.  He'll bag his first goal in this match.  Jakovic and Vitoria in the central defence.

A winning mentality begins with the complete mindset of winning this in the 90 minutes, which we should do, so don't be overly concerned by the fear of who's on the field for penalties.  Let's roll!

No one has mentioned it, but this must be feeling like a pretty special game for Junior.  Given that he has generally played very well for us, but still doesn't have a goal to show for it, I think things are lining up nicely for him to be a real difference maker on Thursday.  I could see him breaking out and getting a brace!

8 minutes ago, Addona said:

No one has mentioned it, but this must be feeling like a pretty special game for Junior.  Given that he has generally played very well for us, but still doesn't have a goal to show for it, I think things are lining up nicely for him to be a real difference maker on Thursday.  I could see him breaking out and getting a brace!

also the fact that he could of represented Jamaica..

5 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Kinda sucks that Will Johnson and Tesho Akindele didn't get recalled to the Gold Cup

No it really doesn't

On 7/17/2017 at 0:03 AM, DeRo_Is_King said:

Noticed this, too. Leave it to CONCASCRAP to sabotage Canada's run. Playing at 4:30 in Glendale will be no picnic because of the heat, something Jamaica is much better equipped to deal with. 7:30 was much more favourable. 

They'll probably have the roof on with air conditioning, will be nice compared to the other games.

14 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Well, i've typically been one of the more demanding posters on here...0-0 in San Salvador didn't sit well with me, among many other things lol

absolutely correct way of thinking.  perennial underachievers is what the MNT is/has/always been about.  if the US can play like regional 'powers'  theres no excuse why we suck so bad.  just think of ice hockey.  how is it that a sport so natural and second nature to us, is played only marginally better than the americans now with their baseball, gridiron, basketball, nascar temptations...

raise expectations and unless results follow, change, tinker, blast apart the entire apparatus!

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Just as the losing mentality of the players had to change, I think the losing mentality of the supporters needs to change as well. People really need to get away from the mindset that CONCACAF is screwing Canadian soccer. To me, that sounds like talk of supporters that are expecting to lose on Thursday. If a simple time change is what is preventing Canada from winning what is a winnable game, then the mentality around the national team still remains fragile, and therefore hasn't made any progress at all.

The reality of playing in CONCACAF is that Canada needs to get results in hostile atmospheres and hostile weather conditions to have any chance of success, and that's not going to change. And from what I've seen this tournament, we have the ability to defeat Jamaica whether it is at 5:30 pm local time, 8:30 pm local time, 1 am local time, in the heat, in the air conditioning, in the rain, etc.

Not saying it will be a cakewalk, but the game is there for the taking if the players can put in a good shift. Myself personally, I'll be incredibly disappointed if Canada doesn't win Thursday. And this is coming from the guy who didn't think for a second that Canada would be in the quarterfinals going into the tournament.

shermanator:  your account cant accept private messages.

hay club cpt...  i wanna play for you!  what you said about the upcoming match vs jamaica is the closest to the gospel i have ever seen.  that is exactly the way to walk forward.  enough with the excuse making enough with the blame placing.  games are played for a reason and even on the world stage, somebody can get raped at home by the germans, be humuliated by a bunch of neo-vikings...

impossible is an excuse for not executing.

how-iceland-football-national-team-was-selected-total-332-529-inhabitants-2938808.png

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Bernier starts.  Keeps the ball the best under up field pressure which I sense the Jamaicans may opt for in these climate controlled conditions and is capable of springing the attacking three with a key pass.  If you start Davies on the left, I think you need De Jong's savvy and communication behind him to help him pick up open attackers.  Piette has been great at supporting the fullbacks so he can help support the Caps vet.  An underrated aspect of Hoillet's play is that he's been pretty good at helping Petrasso on the defensive side of things.

Cavallini starts.  He'll bag his first goal in this match.  Jakovic and Vitoria in the central defence.

A winning mentality begins with the complete mindset of winning this in the 90 minutes, which we should do, so don't be overly concerned by the fear of who's on the field for penalties.  Let's roll!

You are going for the same lineup as vs. French Guyana, then? I'm inclined to agree, it is what I am most comfortable with.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are going for the same lineup as vs. French Guyana, then? I'm inclined to agree, it is what I am most comfortable with.

I don't see us starting with a 4-4-2 and I'm not convinced of James retaining his starting place (I haven't been particularly comfortable with him since he impressed in Mexico City during WCQ).  Osorio had a good sub appearance but I think we are better served with him coming on as a change of pace sub against more fatigued midfield opponents than as a starter against fresher legs.  Just my hunch but then again OZ may surprise like he did with Kaye starting.

If we are chasing a goal late I know we have enough attackers on the roster so that we won't see a CB pushed up to play striker!

Archived