CANADA vs Jamaica Pre Game 20th July 2017

canadianfoot

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

To Respond to my own question: The answer is 1998! (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018 were failures)

Even in the final round of the concacaf WCQ Campaign,

They finished last. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)#Fourth_round

Pos     Team                 Pld    W  D  L  GF  GA  GD   Pts

1.    23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png  Mexico            10   4   6   0  23   7   +16  18

2.    23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png  United States  10   4   5   1  17   9   +8   17

3.    23px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png   Jamaica         10   3   5   2   7   12  –5   14

4.    23px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png    Costa Rica    10   3   3   4  13  12  +1  12

5.    23px-Flag_of_El_Salvador.svg.png   El Salvador     10   2   4   4  11  16  –5   10

6.    23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png  Canada           10  1    3   6   5   20  –15  6

Odd, isn't it, that when you average 0.5 goals scored per match the only thing you win is the wooden spoon?

Qualifying for a World Cup would blow any Gold cup championship out of the water in terms of what it means to me personally and the country as a whole.

However, we need to wait 5 years to qualify for a World Cup, so winning this Gold Cup is going to be a pretty damn sweet appetizer to tie me over until WCQ

35 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

To Respond to my own question: The answer is 1998! (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018 were failures)

Even in the final round of the concacaf WCQ Campaign,

They finished last. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)#Fourth_round

Pos     Team                 Pld    W  D  L  GF  GA  GD   Pts

1.    23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png  Mexico            10   4   6   0  23   7   +16  18

2.    23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png  United States  10   4   5   1  17   9   +8   17

3.    23px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png   Jamaica         10   3   5   2   7   12  –5   14

4.    23px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png    Costa Rica    10   3   3   4  13  12  +1  12

5.    23px-Flag_of_El_Salvador.svg.png   El Salvador     10   2   4   4  11  16  –5   10

6.    23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png  Canada           10  1    3   6   5   20  –15  6

No one was going to answer your question

26 minutes ago, theaub said:

Every single semi-final round WCQ in the '14/'18 cycles besides the last match against El Salvador, and maybe the home match against Cuba is bigger than this match.

In fact, its not even remotely close.  A WCQ is eons more important than a B-team continental tournament.

Even the home match against El salvador would have been bigger if Mexico actually put on a show

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

No one was going to answer your question

lol its like people don't know when we last made the Hex

My favourite part of that hex is Jamaica didn't have a single goal scored by a person born in Jamaica, but they had as many goals scored by people born in Canada as we did.  And they auto-qualified with seven goals!  Benito Floro probably jizzed himself when he saw that.

22 minutes ago, theaub said:

My favourite part of that hex is Jamaica didn't have a single goal scored by a person born in Jamaica, but they had as many goals scored by people born in Canada as we did.  And they auto-qualified with seven goals!  Benito Floro probably jizzed himself when he saw that.

My favourite part of this Gold Cup is Honduras didn't have a single goal scored by a person born in Honduras.

Benito Floro definitely jizzed himself when he saw that.

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

What do you mean?! Canada hasn't advanced to the quarter-finals of the gold cup since 2009 and International friendlies are pointless.

And In World Cup Qualifying, when was the last time they made it through the Hex? 

So you are saying only WCQ games in the Hex are important?    How do you think you get to the Hex? 

Yeah, any meaningful game in WCQ has to be given a pretty high level of priority.  Does that mean a GC final game (fingers crossed) or even semi would be less important than a pre-hex game in WCQ before we are at the make or break stage?  No, not necessarily.  The chance to win a cup is never meaningless - especially for a success-starved team like Canada.  And for better or worse, the GC is our regional championship and one of two meaningful competitions in which we get to take part.

But there have been lots of games over the last two years that would have substantially boosted our chance to make the hex - including some do-or-die matches. The current QF match, while exciting, has to be understood in the context to those crucial matches that are necessary steps to getting to the big show.  Hell, many on here lobbied to use the GC as a testing ground for the squad to prep for the next WCQ cycle.  That speaks to the relative importance of the two competitions.

Hm.  Look at that 5 hours to kick off and I just got a call from an upset customer.  Won't be closing the shop tonight.  Better head down there, sounds like there's a pretty serious fire that needs putting out.

Probably take me the rest of the day.

Mlssoccer.com's preview video consisted of one person stating Larin should walk into the starting 11, pronouncing Cavallini's name wrong, and another stating that Larin shouldn't walk in but talked like AJH is our starter and didn't even mention Cavallini once. Pathetic

4 minutes ago, theaub said:

Even the TSN guy said that Larin should walk right into the lineup its weird

larin should NOT be here! use this as an example to publicly punish him. one tournament w/o the so-called best striker in years wont kill the program. call-ins should have gone to WJ and/maybe TA (another chance waster...)

KJ was just on the radio in Vancouver and said he shouldn't start. He actually said the being allowed to bring players in at this point is a terrible rule. I tend to agree. I think Cavallini starting over Larin is a no Brainer.  MLS.com is a joke and wants us to think any success Canada may have is all thanks to them

32 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

larin should NOT be here! use this as an example to publicly punish him. one tournament w/o the so-called best striker in years wont kill the program. call-ins should have gone to WJ and/maybe TA (another chance waster...)

WJ who turned us down to "rest" no thanks. who is WJ going to replace in our lineup. 

Larin has been punished. suspended for a couple MLS games and forced to sit out our group stage while also completing an MLS mandated rehab program. 

I don't think he should start. but he has already been publicly punished

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Mlssoccer.com's preview video consisted of one person stating Larin should walk into the starting 11, pronouncing Cavallini's name wrong, and another stating that Larin shouldn't walk in but talked like AJH is our starter and didn't even mention Cavallini once. Pathetic

MLSsoccer is FAKE NEWS. Sad. The American people deserve better.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

To be fair it took them about 18 months to start pronouncing Pulisic's name correctly. My favorite moment of their Gold Cup coverage so far was one of the guys on their post-Gold Cup show talking about how important "players like Bernier and Arfield" were to our shape against Costa Rica despite Bernier...ya know....not playing.

2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

To be fair it took them about 18 months to start pronouncing Pulisic's name correctly. My favorite moment of their Gold Cup coverage so far was one of the guys on their post-Gold Cup show talking about how important "players like Bernier and Arfield" were to our shape against Costa Rica despite Bernier...ya know....not playing.

LOL.. how could they possibly give credit to a midfield without an mls player? 

It's one thing to promote your league but when it's non stop propaganda it's just a joke.  

Two hours to go. Starting to get antsy. Had a half day off to watch the Jays but decided that six hours of beer before the game was not a good plan. However saw a really good movie instead and still able to see the end of the Jays. Rambling done.

Cheers my friends. Allez Les Rouges 

Archived