CANADA vs Jamaica Pre Game 20th July 2017

canadianfoot

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways, as for my game analysis

Watched their matches against Mexico and El Salvador (and about half of Curacao), and frankly it would be a massive disappointment not to beat these guys.  Their strengths are relatively predictable: a lot of pace and the best goalkeeper in the region.  But they struggle to put three passes together and lack any true width - saw maybe one good cross in 2.5 matches.

When we played them two years ago, it was the heat that wore us down and we were on pure fumes for the last 10 minutes.  Hopefully the roof in Glendale stays closed and that won't be an issue.

In all honesty, the excitement from this team's performances peaked at 1-0 up against Costa Rica. If we lose to Jamaica this tournament won't feel like much of an improvement (but still remembered as a great kick off for Davies' international career). If we lose to Jamaica and in particular if they shut us out, the results will look very similar to 2015, with the only differences really being that we scored a goal against Costa Rica, and got to play against French Guiana.

2015: tied El Salvador and Costa Rica, lost to Jamaica
2017: tied Honduras and Costa Rica, lost to Jamaica, beat French Guiana

1 hour ago, theaub said:

Anyways, as for my game analysis

Watched their matches against Mexico and El Salvador (and about half of Curacao), and frankly it would be a massive disappointment not to beat these guys.  Their strengths are relatively predictable: a lot of pace and the best goalkeeper in the region.  But they struggle to put three passes together and lack any true width - saw maybe one good cross in 2.5 matches.

When we played them two years ago, it was the heat that wore us down and we were on pure fumes for the last 10 minutes.  Hopefully the roof in Glendale stays closed and that won't be an issue.

Blake is not even in top 3 tbh

We've been the favourite against a minnow, then the underdog against the other two teams in our group matches.  Now it looks like we are the favourite against a team which has traditionally been in our weight class.  The big problem with this program over the (many) years is when the expectations suddenly climb the performance doesn't match them.

Regardless of the current quality of our opponent, this is a statement match for us.  Who are we?

Yea Blake is only top keeper in concacaf if mlssoccer.com is your news source.  He's good though. 

This tournament can turn from good to bad real quick if we don't get a result here. This is traditionally a point where we crumble when we are favourites and under pressure so I think this is a major test. 

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Yea Blake is only top keeper in concacaf if mlssoccer.com is your news source.  He's good though. 

This tournament can turn from good to bad real quick if we don't get a result here. This is traditionally a point where we crumble when we are favourites and under pressure so I think this is a major test. 

Hopefully, we can post a comprehensive victory like we did at the same stage of this tourney ten years ago.

Yeah the expectations thing is funny.  A month ago if most here had been told we'd make the knock out people would be happy.  Now that they've looked good expectations have skyrocketed in some.  I don't blame people.  It is exciting.  I'm just not going to get to worked up either way no matter the result.  This is a new coach, with a new system, 2 years away from the World Cup qualifying cycle that the is the programs focus.  

But when some here were debating whether the team should play for a low scoring draw in the Honduras game because it gave us a "better" route to the finals I had to laugh.  It's like Leafs fans (I am one myself but generally rational) that start planning the parade route on a two game win streak in the first month of the season lol.  I'm just going to enjoy Thursday and hope for the best.

Blake has rather clearly been the best keeper this tournament (although Hato has also been really good).

Although I do see I said region above, which is obviously very wrong as long as Navas is around (I would still have Blake as my #2). 

5 minutes ago, theaub said:

Blake has rather clearly been the best keeper this tournament (although Hato has also been really good).

Although I do see I said region above, which is obviously very wrong as long as Navas is around (I would still have Blake as my #2). 

I think Borjan has a claim as best keeper in this tournament so far 

I haven't seen any of the other guys, apart from Guzan blowing that one save attempt, but to me he has had a few loose moments on crosses and a shot or two which fortunately have not been punished.  But for me, he's usually in the MOTM running every game. 

13 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Noticed this, too. Leave it to CONCASCRAP to sabotage Canada's run. Playing at 4:30 in Glendale will be no picnic because of the heat, something Jamaica is much better equipped to deal with. 7:30 was much more favourable. 

Just as the losing mentality of the players had to change, I think the losing mentality of the supporters needs to change as well. People really need to get away from the mindset that CONCACAF is screwing Canadian soccer. To me, that sounds like talk of supporters that are expecting to lose on Thursday. If a simple time change is what is preventing Canada from winning what is a winnable game, then the mentality around the national team still remains fragile, and therefore hasn't made any progress at all.

The reality of playing in CONCACAF is that Canada needs to get results in hostile atmospheres and hostile weather conditions to have any chance of success, and that's not going to change. And from what I've seen this tournament, we have the ability to defeat Jamaica whether it is at 5:30 pm local time, 8:30 pm local time, 1 am local time, in the heat, in the air conditioning, in the rain, etc.

Not saying it will be a cakewalk, but the game is there for the taking if the players can put in a good shift. Myself personally, I'll be incredibly disappointed if Canada doesn't win Thursday. And this is coming from the guy who didn't think for a second that Canada would be in the quarterfinals going into the tournament.

I'll weigh in on the time change issue. If the roof is in fact closed for the game and the temperatures are OK, then it shouldn't hurt us. If the roof is open and/or the temperatures are very high, it probably will hurt us. As Shermanator points out, we need to learn to handle those kinds of conditions, so getting a chance to play a competitive game in those conditions could be seen as a positive.

However, I still object to the time change. It's just another little thing that CONCACAF is tinkering with that makes this tournament look so bush league. If some day somehow Mexico and USA were matched up in the quarter final stage (I'm not positive, but I think they made it impossible for that to happen this year) I wouldn't be surprised if they change the rules to re-rank teams by FIFA ranking after the group stage or something, if not in that tournament, the following edition. That's the kind of rinky-dink things they do. And I hate it.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Just as the losing mentality of the players had to change, I think the losing mentality of the supporters needs to change as well. People really need to get away from the mindset that CONCACAF is screwing Canadian soccer. To me, that sounds like talk of supporters that are expecting to lose on Thursday. If a simple time change is what is preventing Canada from winning what is a winnable game, then the mentality around the national team still remains fragile, and therefore hasn't made any progress at all.

The reality of playing in CONCACAF is that Canada needs to get results in hostile atmospheres and hostile weather conditions to have any chance of success, and that's not going to change. And from what I've seen this tournament, we have the ability to defeat Jamaica whether it is at 5:30 pm local time, 8:30 pm local time, 1 am local time, in the heat, in the air conditioning, in the rain, etc.

Agree completely. I don't get people complaining about the possibility of having to play in a hostile atmosphere, or in heat, or with a shit referee. Welcome to CONCACAF! If we want to be in Qatar in 2022 we need a team experienced with those conditions.

Getting games in Texas or California against the big dogs of CONCACAF is invaluable preparation for playing in Central America. I'm actually kind of bummed we are playing our next game in an air conditioned stadium. 

I'm considering flying down with wifey before I start an internship July 31st, big concern is we have a 1 year old in that heat.  

I have a call into to VIP  premium seating services about seating (only because the seating looks shaded and VIP section has air conditioning), during this time I will be persistent about the state of the roof. 

Will update when she calls back.

22 minutes ago, theaub said:

In all fairness to CONCACAF here, their draw said 'TBD' for all QF games.

So they were upfront about their desire to pick when games would happen based on who was playing. How long before they say they'll figure out the knockout round bracket after the group stage, and then pick their favourite pairings.

This is CONCACAF's big money maker.  Without this you can forget about youth tourneys, women's programs in a lot of places, support in developing countries etc.  FFS who cares that the US and Mexico get the game times that will make the most money.  There is no big anti-Canadian conspiracy here.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Not saying it will be a cakewalk, but the game is there for the taking if the players can put in a good shift. Myself personally, I'll be incredibly disappointed if Canada doesn't win Thursday. And this is coming from the guy who didn't think for a second that Canada would be in the quarterfinals going into the tournament.

I too believe strongly that we can win Thursday, but that doesn't mean I'll stay silent about corruption. Canada, of course, will have to overcome playing in the heat and in hostile environments purely because of this region's geography. I get that.

I also get that we'll have to overcome poor officiating, extreme embellishment that goes unpunished and rigged group draws, which are pretty much customary in CONCACAF. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't point these things out when they happen.

Archived