CANADA vs Jamaica Pre Game 20th July 2017

canadianfoot

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's my plan guys? I need some advice. 2:30 am start for me here. I allowed myself to miss game 1 and 2 but I watched the Honduras game since it started just 2 hours before when I would normally wake up anyways. Issue is I work at 9 am. I'm thinking sleeping from 10:30 pm to  game time? Then trying to sleep for a couple hours after that? I wish it was the late game.. 

19 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

What's my plan guys? I need some advice. 2:30 am start for me here. I allowed myself to miss game 1 and 2 but I watched the Honduras game since it started just 2 hours before when I would normally wake up anyways. Issue is I work at 9 am. I'm thinking sleeping from 10:30 pm to  game time? Then trying to sleep for a couple hours after that? I wish it was the late game.. 

The best!! A classic Voyageur!

47 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

The last match started at 3am for me.  I went to bed at 10 pm, overslept and missed the first 30 minutes. I am going to stay up tonight as it ends at 2:30 for me.  I should be able to get 4 hours of sleep.   

32 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

The last match started at 3am for me.  I went to bed at 10 pm, overslept and missed the first 30 minutes. I am going to stay up tonight as it ends at 2:30 for me.  I should be able to get 4 hours of sleep.   

I'm not at work tomorrow, so I'm going to stay up (if my hour long run this evening allows it) same as you. Half 2 isn't too late right?

17 minutes ago, Brethers8 said:

I'm not at work tomorrow, so I'm going to stay up (if my hour long run this evening allows it) same as you. Half 2 isn't too late right?

7:30 am start here in Shanghai. Perfect! Watch the game then get to work only 30mins late and blame it on the traffic.

On 2017-07-17 at 6:35 PM, Free kick said:

Yes,   case in point, the refereeing.  The game in Edmonton in 2004 was the best example where the system screwed canada.  But, AT MOST, it screwed canada in that result in that game. There were plenty of other occasions in that cycle to advance.  I remember one game versus CRC in Vancouver (later in that cycle) where we got some very favourable referreeing.  We were still in it as far as advancing to the hex, but we still lost that crucial game because canada ultimately didn't play well enough in that game and the rest of that cycle to advance.

And thats what its about, having the talent and playing well. I know its a cliche, but its worth repeating.   Yes, there is a lot things in concacaf that make you raise your eyebrows, but if you play well, you will succeed in spite of all that.  Simple as that. 

Gott admit though, those eye brow raising decsions and occurances in Concacaf still makes for good fodder and discussions :)   Keeps the forum interesting and active :) 

An obvious penalty (even the Costa Rica fans conceded that Scott should have called it) in Costa Rica was denied turning the chance of 1-1 draw into a 1-0 loss, and the same happened in Honduras, to turn the chance of  3-2 win into a 2-2 draw in 2004 as well. Two of those involved playing well  in "hostile" environments. While it is a big assumption to suggest that the penalties would have been scored, if they had called and converted, Canada qualifies for the hex (assuming all other results go the same way).

It is true that anyone of those calls could have simply been missed. You see it happen elsewhere. The Honduras penalty in Edmonton, given the way it unfolded, was a call particularly I could understand even though from my vantage it looked dodgy. But 4 in a row, in qualifying? In a confederation where corruption was - and probably still is - the MO? I get why some might believe it is simply a matter of being tougher mentally, but I think it incredibly naive to dismiss outright the possibility of corruption. There is a pattern. It could be corruption, it could be referee bias, or it could be cultural chauvinism, but it is very unlikely imo, to be just bad luck. 

Edit: a word

Zambrano might go 4-1-3-2?

-----------Larin, Cavallini--------------

M: Davies, Arfield, Junior Hoillett

--------------Piette---------------------

De Jong, Jakovic, Vitoria, Petrasso

---------------Borjan--------------------

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Zambrano might go 4-1-3-2?

-----------Larin, Cavallini--------------

M: Davies, Arfield, Junior Hoillett

--------------Piette---------------------

De Jong, Jakovic, Vitoria, Petrasso

---------------Borjan--------------------

That would be fun to watch, but it is hugely attacking, and I don't think the QF game is the time to throw caution to the wind.  Not saying we start playing Floroball, but too much emphasis on attack IMO.  I would go with 1 up front, start Cav, and (subject to in-game dynamics) bring Larin on around 65 minutes in.  Can't see Bernier not starting this one in the middle with Piette.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be fun to watch, but it is hugely attacking, and I don't think the QF game is the time to throw caution to the wind.  Not saying we start playing Floroball, but too much emphasis on attack IMO.  I would go with 1 up front, start Cav, and (subject to in-game dynamics) bring Larin on around 65 minutes in.  Can't see Bernier not starting this one in the middle with Piette.

If we pass Jamaica, Mexico is next and playing too offensive with them would be a mistake, but I maintain that against Jamaica, we have to score fast and break them down early especially in a no tomorrow game such as tonight

38 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

The Most important match in years (Since 2009) for the National Team! 

man not even close

2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

man not even close

What do you mean?! Canada hasn't advanced to the quarter-finals of the gold cup since 2009 and International friendlies are pointless.

And In World Cup Qualifying, when was the last time they made it through the Hex? 

7 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The recent WCQ in Honduras was much bigger. Win or draw that and we would have been one step away from the World Cup.

Still, good to see everybody getting pumped for this one. Should be fun.

Yeah, I was going to say ... since 2009, the two away games in Honduras (2012 and 2016) were both WAY bigger. Still, an important nonetheless!

15 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

And In World Cup Qualifying, when was the last time they made it through the Hex? 

To Respond to my own question: The answer is 1998! (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018 were failures)

Even in the final round of the concacaf WCQ Campaign,

They finished last. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)#Fourth_round

Pos     Team                 Pld    W  D  L  GF  GA  GD   Pts

1.    23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png  Mexico            10   4   6   0  23   7   +16  18

2.    23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png  United States  10   4   5   1  17   9   +8   17

3.    23px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png   Jamaica         10   3   5   2   7   12  –5   14

4.    23px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png    Costa Rica    10   3   3   4  13  12  +1  12

5.    23px-Flag_of_El_Salvador.svg.png   El Salvador     10   2   4   4  11  16  –5   10

6.    23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png  Canada           10  1    3   6   5   20  –15  6

Every single semi-final round WCQ in the '14/'18 cycles besides the last match against El Salvador, and maybe the home match against Cuba is bigger than this match.

In fact, its not even remotely close.  A WCQ is eons more important than a B-team continental tournament.

Archived