Constructive CPL thread

On 2017-5-16 at 9:54 AM, dyslexic nam said:

At the risk of stretching comparison's too far, I also look at the experience of attending game for the National Basketball League (still only in Eastern Canada) for a bit of a template.  While they operate under a much lower salary cap ($150k per team), and thus only employ part time professionals, the on-court product is still really entertaining, the whole experience is fun, and they are clearly looking to build support by getting families to go (my crew will be at the Charlottetown/Halifax play-off game on Thursday) and making it a whole experience that is bigger than just the game played by the guys on the court.  In short, they are putting asses in seats despite playing a level of bball that is a lot closer to university level than what is on display in the big league.   It seems like the effort put into making (and marketing) the experience gets people to buy tickets in a way that similarly placed university teams do not.

Lots of differences that can't be overlooked - the NBL season provides a nice winter distraction (versus competing with sunny outdoor activities), the low cap/small team size/limited travel costs allow the league to keep ticket prices low and to offer great incentive packages, etc.  But I still think it demonstrates the potential of marketing and taking the broader experiential view when it comes to getting supporter buy in.

I've followed the NBL Canada very loosely, since it's founding in 2011, and I think lessons can be learned from that league, and the successes and struggles it has gone through along the way. NBL Canada found some consistent support in markets (London, Charlottetown, Halifax as examples), and some markets that were terrible (Brampton, Mississauga, Ottawa, Montreal).

Like it or lump it, the CPL will go through similar struggles with the perception of being "minor league". Getting past that perception will not be easy. In the NBL Canada's case, after rumours that the league would folding after their 4th season, it looks like they are finding some stability, and are expanding to some decent markets, while showing stability in the existing markets. In fact, the league has it's eye on moving into Western Canada in the long term.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched tonight's playoff game between Charlottetown and Halifax where we took a 2-1 series lead.  Great game, respectable crowd (though not nec what a playoff game should draw), and overall a fun experience for our family.  Like you said, I think it shows both the positive potential of CPL, as well as the realistic challenges ahead. 

Regarding Travel Costs and logistics for CFL to give us an idea

Travel costs for franchises will be in the $500,000 range. This is based on the Edmonton Eskimos 2010 financial statements showing Away game costs of $630,000 in 2010 and $592,000 is 2009. It is assumed this includes flights and hotels and possibly also meals and player per diems. The reason for the increase is largely likely due to the Eskimos road game in Moncton in 2010 as well as inflationary costs. The Saskatchewan Roughriders showed Away game costs of $448,000 for 2009, including the Grey Cup. It is not clear if they include the same costs in their figures as Edmonton, or if their travel distances and methods were similar.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Regarding potential cuts in travel costs:

High-speed rail between Toronto and London by 2025, premier says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/wynne-ontario-high-speed-rail-report-1.4123183

• Toronto - Union
  • Pearson Airport
  • Guelph
  • Kitchener-Waterloo
  • London
  • Chatam 
  • Windsor

Chatham? First I get more rumours of Larin to Gladbach and now this. It's not my birthday, but thanks world!

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Regarding potential cuts in travel costs:

High-speed rail between Toronto and London by 2025, premier says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/wynne-ontario-high-speed-rail-report-1.4123183

• Toronto - Union
  • Pearson Airport
  • Guelph
  • Kitchener-Waterloo
  • London
  • Chatam 
  • Windsor

Is travel between these cities a huge problem that causes a lot of congestion? 

20 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Is travel between these cities a huge problem that causes a lot of congestion? 

Between Toronto and KW it's a significant concern. Nearly 30% of KW Startups commute from Toronto currently, plus we have lots of people who use the 401 to get from Cambridge to KW. They are expanding that section to like 12 lanes or something wacky, all the way to Highway 6. But they have been expanding it forever. Once their done one expansion, they basically have to start the next. This will make travel between the cities better. But I feel like most of the effects for CanPL teams will be secondary.

I live in Toronto but have family in Waterloo region. I often run into horrible traffic on the 401 between Toronto and Kitchener at the weirdest times. Late at night, middle of the afternoon on a Sunday, it really can be bad at any time.

This was in response to C-Homer's survey more, but just wanted to say... watching the TFCII stream from work right now, and just looking at the wild disparity of attendance within NASL and USL, I can definitely say that the stadium experience is so much more important to attendance than the quality of play on the field ever could.

The league is internationally famous.  

The radio version of World Soccer (5:00AM Pacific on Saturday mornings on BBC World Service via CBC Radio 1) just had a brief interview with Carlo Corazzin.  He talked about how difficult it is to have anything truly national because of the size of the country, and he thinks there'll be playoffs rather than the standard championship.  Also, how the CSL failed because they tried to expand too quickly and that MLS teams joining the league is a possibility only in the distant future.

12 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

The league is internationally famous.  

The radio version of World Soccer (5:00AM Pacific on Saturday mornings on BBC World Service via CBC Radio 1) just had a brief interview with Carlo Corazzin.  He talked about how difficult it is to have anything truly national because of the size of the country, and he thinks there'll be playoffs rather than the standard championship.  Also, how the CSL failed because they tried to expand too quickly and that MLS teams joining the league is a possibility only in the distant future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052nt7n

Starts at about 14min mark.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:45 AM, Levi Oakey said:

Between Toronto and KW it's a significant concern. Nearly 30% of KW Startups commute from Toronto currently, plus we have lots of people who use the 401 to get from Cambridge to KW. They are expanding that section to like 12 lanes or something wacky, all the way to Highway 6. But they have been expanding it forever. Once their done one expansion, they basically have to start the next. This will make travel between the cities better. But I feel like most of the effects for CanPL teams will be secondary.

My god people do that commute?!

One point in the pod I liked was when talking the pros/cons of a 2018 launch was that it doesn't give fans the chance to drift off with the condensed schedule.  A quick, intense run to engage, capture and keep the fanbase.  Don't think I've heard that point brought up before

So I made it down to TD Place last night for the Fury FC-TFC match, and I have to say I was not disappointed. There was a solid turnout from the fans (~ 7600, if I recall), level of play was solid, and the atmosphere was great. I brought a first-timer friend of mine to the match who was definitely surprised by how much he enjoyed the experience - especially the party atmosphere generated by the rival supporters groups.

Most importantly, though, someone with SMR brought a huge banner with only one word on it: #CanPL. :) 

https://twitter.com/FuryFanatic/status/867154915046641664

I know a number of people have been discussing OSEG's perspective on the new league, but it's good to know that the grassroots are tapped into to what's going on and supportive.

I had the same thought - and considering that last night's game was do-or-die for the Sens, that says even more about the support that the Fury had. In any case, it did get to the point where they had to open the north stand because the south stand couldn't accommodate the crowd, so that's certainly a plus.

Archived