Constructive CPL thread

Call me naïve but It's pretty safe to assume that CBC "Soccer night in Canada" will pick up CPL games in their respective provinces with may be 1 match nationwide?

It's within their mandate to cover Canadian content and CBC is for me the best choice for the first few years. It's free for all Canadians so those who don't have cable can watch the league

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Call me naïve but It's pretty safe to assume that CBC "Soccer night in Canada" will pick up CPL games in their respective provinces with may be 1 match nationwide?

It's within their mandate to cover Canadian content and CBC is for me the best choice for the first few years. It's free for all Canadians so those who don't have cable can watch the league

I don't think it was related personally. It does seem they might have been going for MLS and failed or were just protecting that style of name in Canada.

They'd be a great partner but I don't see them doing it.

I like Bein as a channel (the soccer bar in town has it) but it would be bad in my opinion if that was the only TV.  Yeah it would like nice in HD but hardly anyone would see it.  It's like putting a five star restaurant in the middle of nowhere.  Great food but no one will go there. 

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I would love to be able to financial support the CPL from abroad, so if they do offer an online subscription for matches, I hope they offer it outside of Canada. 

There was a number of people who made that comment on the survey, I'll make a point to mention it in the writeup. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I don't know if it is safe to assume that. but I would sure love to see it.  Given their mandate, coverage, accessibility, multiple platforms, etc, the fit would be almost ideal.

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't know if it is safe to assume that. but I would sure love to see it.  Given their mandate, coverage, accessibility, multiple platforms, etc, the fit would be almost ideal.

just regarding the soccer night story here's a decent post on the topic http://sportsdocuments.com/2017/05/why-did-the-cbc-trademark-soccer-night-in-canada/

As far as I can tell, the CBC doesn’t own any soccer broadcast rights of note, nor would it be a smart move to file this while it was in the midst of acquiring some. In all likelihood, this is a bureaucratic move to protect a variation of a well-known brand.

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I doubt that CPL gets greedy while CBC will have to admit that increasing viewership through Canadian Soccer wouldn't be that hard in comparison to whatever's on TV in the summer in those timeslots. CBC Sports does usually well, I think it's a viable assumption and CBC does quality sport coverage.

The whole CBC "Soccer night in Canada" being attached to MLS seems doubtful to me, same as a "trademark move". That's one heck of a coincidence to be doing this in the middle of CPL inception while they had 8 years to do that when MLS was around.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

just regarding the soccer night story here's a decent post on the topic http://sportsdocuments.com/2017/05/why-did-the-cbc-trademark-soccer-night-in-canada/

As far as I can tell, the CBC doesn’t own any soccer broadcast rights of note, nor would it be a smart move to file this while it was in the midst of acquiring some. In all likelihood, this is a bureaucratic move to protect a variation of a well-known brand.

Why now, and not anytime in the last 10 years? Not saying you're wrong, but there's a possibility that someone (Beirne + owners) made a pitch to CBC and perhaps without committing yet, CBC did the prep work just in case a deal with CPL could happen. If CPL get greedy, I don't think it works but it would be a mutually beneficial relationship. It allows CPL to build a track record of domestic viewership until they can pitch to cable TV for more money.

It's possible, I don't get why you're so convince that there's no way it's happening. If you ask me, getting CBC is easier than getting those cable network on year 1 who are guaranteed to low ball you an offer. 

I said before and I'll say it again. Soccer Night in Canada was trademarked not for CPL, but for a show called 21 Thunder. 

I don't know why people are saying CPL especially when it was in its infancy when it was trademarked. CBC clearly had something with soccer and it was a TV show.

4 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

One quick thing, as expensive as beIN is, it's the one specialty channel I do get, as a streaming option anyways (beINsports Connect), as a way of supporting soccer in Canada. And before beIN, it was Fox Sports World. If CPL isn't on TSN, Sportsnet or CBC, it has to be on beIN, that's where all the hardcore soccer fans in Canada go to for the hardcore coverage, such as La Liga, Serie A, Championship, CONC stuff, NASL, etc.

Most good soccer bars I know and go to have beIN as well, since about half of the UCL matches are there now to complement TSN.

If CPL is on TLN or some indie channel, it's getting zero viewership there, guaranteed. And CPL definitely can't go the Youtube way like USL is either, it has to aim higher than that. You could showcase a couple matches on Youtube for free, but it can't be CPL's main streaming option.

If anything, if we do generally believe that CPL will be at a level where it has to be given away for free on Youtube a la USL, then I'm definitely a bit worried about the short-term future of CPL as a whole.

In summary, for me anyways:

TSN/RSN/CBC > CPL Live > beIN > Youtube > Specialty channels

See I still think I would rank beIN over a dedicated CPL Live streaming service for a couple of reasons.

From a consumer perspective: It would have to be priced real low in my opinion...like $4.99/month at most since all you are getting is CPL...and if there are only 6 teams initially that's only 3 games a week...if there are blackouts even less.

From a league perspective:  Cost.  Selling the rights to beIN is a hell of a lot easier/cheaper than providing your own streaming service.  And this isn't even considering the broadcasting equipment/production costs.

Otherwise I agree with your rankings.  Although TSN isn't offered as a standalone streaming subscription...

38 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

From a league perspective:  Cost.  Selling the rights to beIN is a hell of a lot easier/cheaper than providing your own streaming service.  And this isn't even considering the broadcasting equipment/production costs.

beIN wouldn't pay enough to be worth it likely and you would lose ad revenue too (that's another reason I'd say a deal with Corus/Shaw for TLN and their local Global outlets would be better)

I could have sworn I saw something on twitter a few months ago about CBC's trademark being something MLS-related. But, I'll keep my hopes up too and say that a combination of CPL, followed by 21 Thunder, would make for a perfect Soccer Night in Canada on Sundays. That show looks pretty interesting, following a fictional PLSQ team or something.

Ansem made a good point before to me about how TSN gave out radio silence regarding the CPL announcement launch, which was highly disappointing considering it was covered in every other major outlet you could think of, including RSN and ESPN FC, to name a few, and the CFL-TSN connection. If TSN is going to blank on CPL, I think we would all love to see Sportsnet pick up CPL, and it complemented by a CPL Live streaming package for those who prefer that route.

wtf?! the TSN-CFL TV contract is worth $40million A YEAR?....that seems really overvalued but OK.  TSN has lost almost everything to SportsNet so I guess they had to put money into things like CFL.  And if that's the case no reason they couldn't do a single digit million dollar a year deal with CPL imo.  Though I wonder if MLS has something in their TV contracts that would prevent a broadcaster from airing another domestic soccer league?

14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

wtf?! the TSN-CFL TV contract is worth $40million A YEAR?....that seems really overvalued but OK.  TSN has lost almost everything to SportsNet so I guess they had to put money into things like CFL.  And if that's the case no reason they couldn't do a single digit million dollar a year deal with CPL imo.  Though I wonder if MLS has something in their TV contracts that would prevent a broadcaster from airing another domestic soccer league?

CFL has the viewership to back it up.

15 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

People consistently underestimate CFL's draw. It's an order of magnitude higher than most MLS games

Though between CPL being cheap CanCon for CBC and preexisting relationships between TSN and CFL owners, I'm cautiously optimistic that there's a deal to be made

Just now, mpg_29 said:

I'm curious as to the numbers of the TSN MLS contract now...the ratings were pretty good for Toronto/Montreal in the playoffs last year..

I'm sure it's less than what CFL is getting. CFL teams gets more money per teams than MLS teams...that says a lot. TV rating wise, CFL draws WAY more in Canada than MLS. The Grey Cup viewership is very strong

https://www.cfl.ca/2016/11/28/10-million-canadians-watch-the-104th-grey-cup-presented-by-shaw/

• 10 million unique viewers, or nearly 30% of Canadians, tuning in to TSN and RDS
  • An average audience of 3.9 million viewers tuned in to TSN (3.6 million) and RDS (254,000)
  • peaked at 5.7 million viewers late in the fourth quarter
  • average audience for the game grew 15% among male viewers aged 18-34, and grew 4% among male viewers aged 18-49.
  •  Live streaming audiences on TSN Digital platforms marked an increase of 35% compared to last year’s Grey Cup
  • Halftime Show attracted an average audience of 3.5 million viewers
  •  1.9 million viewers stayed to watch TSN’s extensive post-game coverage
  • TSN’s 360-video pre-game content – a GREY CUP production first – attracted more than 18,000 total views
  • TSN’s official Snapchat story featuring behind-the-scenes content from the 104th Grey Cup presented by Shaw attracted 219,000 views
  • TSN season that saw the average audience for regular season games grow 3% overall, and 7% in the key 18-49 demographic nationwide.
  • CFL’s Western and Eastern Semi-Finals marked an increase of 14% compared to last year, attracting 1.1 million and 903,000 viewers to TSN, respectively.
  • On Grey Cup Sunday, there were a total of 155,000 Tweets – a 52% increase compared to 2015 and a 74% increase compared to 2014. There were also a total of 224,000 Grey Cup related Tweets during all of Grey Cup Week which included 131,000 Tweets using the #GreyCup emoji hashtag.

And that's despite a 12% decrease from last year's Grey Cup

http://3downnation.com/2016/11/28/tv-ratings-2016-grey-cup-12-per-cent/

I'm no CFL fan but I have a hell lot of respect for that league in the way they do business. My optimism to CFL isn't based on being a crazy fan, but I feel much better that some of the minds behind CFL are behind CPL otherwise, I'd be like BBTB!

If CPL could one day reach those numbers, that would be crazy! So yeah, CFL has indeed earned their TV contract

22 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

People consistently underestimate CPL's draw. It's an order of magnitude higher than most MLS games

Though between CPL being cheap CanCon for CBC and preexisting relationships between TSN and CFL owners, I'm cautiously optimistic that there's a deal to be made

Except it's not going to have teams in the largest media markets...could be a negative for broadcasters.

Saying CanPL is not going to have teams in the major markets is roughly equivalent to saying that you know exactly where all of the 10 expressions of interest come from that Paul Beirne mentioned. Is anyone on here saying that? Would anyone be shocked if a suburban Mtl, Tor, or Van E.O.I. suddenly surfaced? I wouldn't. 

5 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

See I still think I would rank beIN over a dedicated CPL Live streaming service for a couple of reasons.

From a consumer perspective: It would have to be priced real low in my opinion...like $4.99/month at most since all you are getting is CPL...and if there are only 6 teams initially that's only 3 games a week...if there are blackouts even less.

Otherwise I agree with your rankings.  Although TSN isn't offered as a standalone streaming subscription...

Is beIn available without a cable package though? Ie. can I pay to stream from their website?

If not you are keeping it away from a major demographic.. Thinking through my circles, maybe only 5% still have cable tv.

Archived