Constructive CPL thread

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Have a read of @matthew's latest. Interview with Paul Beirne. 

https://juneof86.com/2017/05/12/canadian-premier-league-gaining-momentum/

This article, specifically re Beirne's comment, also reinforce your prior post about the state of things being both well advanced and formal enough that we can dismiss the idea that these expressions of interest are written up on a napkin.

“The group of 10 are all really checked out. I believe all of them, if things go their way in their communities in terms of city councils giving them approvals and so on, if those things happen, all 10 of those expressions of interest will come to fruition in time."

"We’re already deep into due diligence on most of our partners."

Both very positive statements about the state of things.  Not a lock yet, but what seems like a really solid base, with investors anxious to participate and officials who are making sure that things are lined up to be successful in the long term.

This a a damn exciting time to be a Canadian footy fan.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Both very positive statements about the state of things.  Not a lock yet, but what seems like a really solid base, with investors anxious to participate and officials who are making sure that things are lined up to be successful in the long term.

This a a damn exciting time to be a Canadian footy fan.

They're taking things slow and making sure they're doing it right to the best of their abilities and that's encouraging to me.  In the Sportsnet pod interview Beirne said the first time he was approached about this was three years ago.  As I've assumed they know what they're doing and this isn't some half assed rush to get a league going thing as some have speculated.

22 hours ago, Symp_Res said:

Now that the Canadian Premier League is a reality, my hope is that we all embrace the 'Canadian' part of that term. I think that teams should have names that reflect the local community and can draw in local support. nameofcity FC/FC nameofcity, nameofcity "City"...United...etc. sounds so pretentious to non-fans.  I believe that we need to embrace the Canadian and North American convention of naming teams.  nameofcity-nickname.  That's it. If you must add something at the end, at least be "SC"-"Soccer Club".

As a North American and relatively new soccer fan (CMNT, TFC, MLS for last 5 years) I kinda agree with what you're saying. Even though, I don't really mind FC, and SC, and to a lesser degree "Real". I like tradition (even ones that I'm new to) and it's kinda classy. But, if every team in the league is going to be FC then I start to get bored. So, my vote would be for a mix. Whatever, each team decides.

But where my North American bias really comes thru is with "kits". I hate advertising on the jersey. It lacks class for me. I'd rather have a nice big logo NA-style. I get that it's huge for advertisers and therefore a BIG revenue generator. Still ... ... maybe the advertiser can have a small crest on the sleeve or something...

My 2 cents.

1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

But where my North American bias really comes thru is with "kits". I hate advertising on the jersey. It lacks class for me. I'd rather have a nice big logo NA-style. I get that it's huge for advertisers and therefore a BIG revenue generator. Still ... ... maybe the advertiser can have a small crest on the sleeve or something...

My 2 cents.

The advertising is going to be a vital source of income. In a perfect world, sure, no advertising. But to be a competitive league the CPL is going to have to scrape every bit of revenue they can. The more popular the league gets, the more they can sell the advertising for. The more money they get from advertising, the better players they can buy. The better the players they buy, the more popular the league gets. In order to grow to their potential, the league is going to have to advertise on the Jerseys. We don't want all the other leagues to have an advantage on the CPL. 

All that said, I do wish that they wouldn't have to advertise. I just hope they find something really Canadian like Tim Hortons and Canadian Tire. :lol:

Is it incorrect in thinking that the CPL will be able to attract a lot of players from Central America and the Caribbean based solely on the fact that players will want to emigrate to our country? 

I've heard and read stories of Jays players  wanting to play in Toronto because of the after career appeal for them and their families.

36 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Is it incorrect in thinking that the CPL will be able to attract a lot of players from Central America and the Caribbean based solely on the fact that players will want to emigrate to our country? 

I've heard and read stories of Jays players  wanting to play in Toronto because of the after career appeal for them and their families.

i don't know about emigrate long term. but money and stability go a long way during a playing career. Something this league can certainly offer.

35 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

i don't know about emigrate long term. but money and stability go a long way during a playing career. Something this league can certainly offer.

I'd agree that we're generally quite good at fulfilling contracts and paying wages on time in Canada. But stability? Soccer teams, and leagues have been everything but stable in this country. I sure hope that changes with this league.

9 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not many Jays players have stayed in Canada from what I know, remember a lot of Jays players once they retire have made enough money where they don't ever have to work again after they retire, so staying in Canada is not needed for these guys for better job opportunities and what not, most of them leave for warmer climates. However, with this CPL I can see players wanting to come for opportunities after soccer, because once they retire the majority of these guys will still need to work the rest of their lives and Canada provides better job opportunities than most Carribean, Central American and South American countries.

I had a couple conversations yesterday that I thought it might be worth sharing. 

In the morning I was doing some prep work for a Voyageurs event in conjunction with the Valencia-Cosmos friendly and met a local soccer guy I've known for a while. He has played at a very high level and is now playing recreationally and mid to late 30s. 

I posed a couple questions to him. If there was a pro team here (Regina) would you go? And do you think others would?

He said he would for certain go but did not think others would and went to list a whole series of reasons, many of which you hear nationally and some which are Regina specific. The quality will be below PDL level, the soccer community in Regina is too small, etc etc. 

Later in the day I was chatting with an employee and I posed the same questions to him. Now he is not a soccer fan at all and he has never played soccer either. But he is a sports fan, and is interested in a wide variety of sports experiences. For example, he is a committed ultimate frisbee player and has travelled widely to compete in ultimate tournaments. His response surprised me a little. 

He said if there was a pro team in Regina not only he but most people he knows, including their spouses, would go to games. He even described an experience - A decent Saturday afternoon, a chance to go downtown, gather with friends, enjoy a different stadium experience. He said he and his crew would be all over it. 

It definitely got me thinking. How much has the 'Canadian soccer experience' of the last 20 years coloured the view of my generation? People like me, who haven't had much to cheer for in Canadian soccer can be excused (to some extent at least) for being jaded and cynical. I don't feel like I've succumbed to that mindset, but I certainly understand it. But how much does this mindset blind us to the possibility of latent demand among the 18-35 demographic? 

Anyway, they were conversations that got the wheels turning. 

18 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I had a couple conversations yesterday that I thought it might be worth sharing. 

In the morning I was doing some prep work for a Voyageurs event in conjunction with the Valencia-Cosmos friendly and met a local soccer guy I've known for a while. He has played at a very high level and is now playing recreationally and mid to late 30s. 

I posed a couple questions to him. If there was a pro team here (Regina) would you go? And do you think others would?

He said he would for certain go but did not think others would and went to list a whole series of reasons, many of which you hear nationally and some which are Regina specific. The quality will be below PDL level, the soccer community in Regina is too small, etc etc. 

Later in the day I was chatting with an employee and I posed the same questions to him. Now he is not a soccer fan at all and he has never played soccer either. But he is a sports fan, and is interested in a wide variety of sports experiences. For example, he is a committed ultimate frisbee player and has travelled widely to compete in ultimate tournaments. His response surprised me a little. 

He said if there was a pro team in Regina not only he but most people he knows, including their spouses, would go to games. He even described an experience - A decent Saturday afternoon, a chance to go downtown, gather with friends, enjoy a different stadium experience. He said he and his crew would be all over it. 

It definitely got me thinking. How much has the 'Canadian soccer experience' of the last 20 years coloured the view of my generation? People like me, who haven't had much to cheer for in Canadian soccer can be excused (to some extent at least) for being jaded and cynical. I don't feel like I've succumbed to that mindset, but I certainly understand it. But how much does this mindset blind us to the possibility of latent demand among the 18-35 demographic? 

Anyway, they were conversations that got the wheels turning. 

I do think this hits the nail on the head. I see three distinct groups...on one side you have the soccer community, on the other side you have people that will go out of their way to denigrate soccer any chance they get.  Right in the middle are people that will give it a chance if it is done right.

The first group will support it no matter what you call the league (D1, D2,) and no matter where they are playing - a small or big stadium located anywhere in their community.

The second group will continue to not support the game no matter what you do.

The third group - the group in the middle - are the ones that the CPL has to reach out and appeal to. These are the people that the league needs to cater to, atleast initially.

I listened to the Podcast from Sportsnet on Thursday when they had Paul Beirne on.  He discussed how they want to see stadiums 'pop up' (for a lack of a better term) that are appropriate for the market, and in locations that make going to the games part of a night out.  Where people can meet their friends for a few pints, go to the game, and then go out for a night on the town.

13 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

It is absolute bunk to say that the level will be below PDL. Your player budget effectively determines the level and CPL teams will have much bigger player budgets than PDL, although probably smaller than EPL. ;)

Oh I completely agree. I attempted to explain that to the person in question but he wasn't having it. I think that's an example that reinforces my point somewhat. His cynicism blinds him both to reality and potential. It's a major handicap and it affects the entire enterprise of soccer in Canada. 

Having said that, I think over zealous boosterism can also be a form of blindness and can also cause problems. But I think there is much more negative consequences from being overly cynical about CanPL. 

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I think your point is a great one Rob. I too am very optimistic (most unlike me!) about what CPL attendances are likely to be.

Things change over the years and I think we will see far more interest than we did last time around. Football is much bigger in Canada now. I remember when the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 folded it was because they just couldn't sell enough tickets. Fast forward 17 years later and Jets 2.0 sell out every game. I'm not saying the CPL will sell out every game but I do think the excitement and demand will be there.

I am optimistic for the same reasons.  It isn't just about the oft-mentioned youth soccer registrations.  Its the prevalence of soccer on TV, the success of MLS, the growth of interest in the international game - all of it speaks to a pretty huge shift in the overall level of interest in the game on Canada. 

This was in the Hamilton Spec today about Derick Martin from SEA and a bit of info on the Halifax bid.  Steve Milton is quickly becoming the mainstream sportswriter who covers the CanPL the most.  Certainly the most plugged in between his articles and regular segments on TSN1150 Hamilton.

http://m.thespec.com/sports-story/7314188-national-league-local-guy

There has been a bit of discussion about the CPL on TSN radio in Vancouver. I think it has been rather interesting.

From Friday, Kristian Jack. His interview starts at 06:20, CPL discussion starts at 13:26. Discussion continues a bit after the interview ends.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/sekeres-and-price-may-12-hour-1-1.750304

From Today, Peter Schaad. The hosts ask further question building off their discussion from Friday. His interview starts at 04:35, CPL discussion starts at 13:09 coming out of some WFC2 talk.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/sekeres-and-price-may-15-hour-4-1.752473

Schaad says that Tom Fath may be coming around on joining the CPL.

22 minutes ago, masster said:

Schaad says that Tom Fath may be coming around on joining the CPL.

Truly in his best interest. He'll need to partner with potential investors who might be bidding on Edmonton as we speak. Best to reach out and work it out.

Really interesting observations Rob. I mentioned CPL to a colleague who has most of his family in Winnipeg, and travels there often. It's just one man's opinion, but he said that the fact that the Bombers will own it makes a huge impact for sure, and he can see Winnipeg embracing the team as a fun outing on a weekend.

The main point I wanted to make, and that I've stressed in the Toronto thread as well, is that the CPL marketing for non-MLS cities should be pretty straightforward as a alternative to CFL for a fun family outing during the weekend, but that it will have to be more marketed towards Canadian soccer fans in the 3 MLS cities, all markets that CPL has to capture as well in the end if it's truly going to succeed.

16 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Really interesting observations Rob. I mentioned CPL to a colleague who has most of his family in Winnipeg, and travels there often. It's just one man's opinion, but he said that the fact that the Bombers will own it makes a huge impact for sure, and he can see Winnipeg embracing the team as a fun outing on a weekend.

The main point I wanted to make, and that I've stressed in the Toronto thread as well, is that the CPL marketing for non-MLS cities should be pretty straightforward as a alternative to CFL for a fun family outing during the weekend, but that it will have to be more marketed towards Canadian soccer fans in the 3 MLS cities, all markets that CPL has to capture as well in the end if it's truly going to succeed.

I totally agree.  The Goldeyes baseball team has flourished in Winnipeg.  It was in a largely unknown league with sketchy talent level in a secondary sport (not hockey).  My family make the 3 hour trek into WPG every summer for an affordable fun outing in a fun little park with great atmosphere.  Granted its different ownership but I'm sure the Bombers should be able to do similar with soccer following that model.  They have drawn 5-6000 fans consistently over the last 10 years.  

At the risk of stretching comparison's too far, I also look at the experience of attending game for the National Basketball League (still only in Eastern Canada) for a bit of a template.  While they operate under a much lower salary cap ($150k per team), and thus only employ part time professionals, the on-court product is still really entertaining, the whole experience is fun, and they are clearly looking to build support by getting families to go (my crew will be at the Charlottetown/Halifax play-off game on Thursday) and making it a whole experience that is bigger than just the game played by the guys on the court.  In short, they are putting asses in seats despite playing a level of bball that is a lot closer to university level than what is on display in the big league.   It seems like the effort put into making (and marketing) the experience gets people to buy tickets in a way that similarly placed university teams do not.

Lots of differences that can't be overlooked - the NBL season provides a nice winter distraction (versus competing with sunny outdoor activities), the low cap/small team size/limited travel costs allow the league to keep ticket prices low and to offer great incentive packages, etc.  But I still think it demonstrates the potential of marketing and taking the broader experiential view when it comes to getting supporter buy in.

35 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Not sure if this is our "general news" thread or not, but here is Squizz's article

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/cpl-is-the-soccer-league-canada-needed

Interesting that Montopoli cited St. Pauli as a unique club culture that can be cultivated out of obscurity. I think it was @matty who had been drawing that comparison before as well

.....i might have.....i have posted pictures of their crowds on here before and they are my mom's team. 

Archived