Constructive CPL thread

34 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Now for something constructive after my unconstructive Anchorman quote.  It might be helpful if we all make sure we hit the CPL website everyday.  They aren't updating it much since launch but I'm sure the traffic numbers will be important to advertisers/sponsors/media partners, etc.  I've tried to go everyday to the main one and the fan section.

They need to get forums or a news feed of all the articles on the CPL going that site is awful atm

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, matty said:

They need to get forums or a news feed of all the articles on the CPL going that site is awful atm

I think it's part of their general rollout plan.  They've admitted they exist and have the foundation set up but they'll let us know what they want us to know, when they want us to know.  Frustrating for us nerds but in retrospect I've come to like how they've handled it.

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I think it's part of their general rollout plan.  They've admitted they exist and have the foundation set up but they'll let us know what they want us to know, when they want us to know.  Frustrating for us nerds but in retrospect I've come to like how they've handled it.

They're sending everyone here btw 

Just now, matty said:

They're sending everyone here btw 

Yeah I literally just saw that on twitter a few minutes ago.  Good too the synergy going on.  Guess we should start behaving if company is coming over :)

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Yeah, it's pretty much a scaled down version of the Ti-Cats existing All Access site.

That site is a loyalty program where you earn points as you browse, check in at games, buy merch through the store or click on sponsor deals. You then turn the points in for prizes or (more commonly) chances to win stuff, so it wouldn't shock me once the ball gets rolling they add that to the site.

On 2017-5-23 at 8:24 AM, Rheo said:

One point in the pod I liked was when talking the pros/cons of a 2018 launch was that it doesn't give fans the chance to drift off with the condensed schedule.  A quick, intense run to engage, capture and keep the fanbase.  Don't think I've heard that point brought up before

Credit to that idea goes to @Alex D who shared it with me on our Michigan road trip a couple weeks back, a great thought!

Just caught up to this crazy thread (hence my response to an old post). I was happy briefly because KWs awesomeness interrupted the circular broadcasting conversation...the return to the crazies was so quick and painful, it hurt ?. Welcome newcomers sent from the canPL Twitter account! Please forgive us, we've been starving a long time....

14 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Here’s the thing though—history suggests that they’ll need to be shamed into thinking bigger. You start a typical North American league tomorrow and nothing changes at that level. Nothing. I almost guarantee it. But, if you start a league tomorrow that is structured in such a way that provides an opportunity – a challenge, really – to these clubs and, well…even the less ambitious are going to understand the need to, well, get off their ass.

^^ This is probably an important point - by all accounts, a lot of L1O teams have upped their game this year for a shot at the Voyageurs Cup.

19 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Any mentions about having youth team set up from the start? That I think would be great to have going as soon as possible.

Not likely to happen at the start due to cost of running one. Partnerships more likely

On 6/6/2017 at 3:19 PM, Rheo said:

I think he makes perfectly rational and valid points in almost every fashion. I think he's completely right with how crazed some of the Pro/RelUSA people can be, although in there case it is a bit more justified given that there is massive room for expansion in the US that a real 2nd league could alleviate. It's just that it won't be easy with how strong a grip MLS has now.

As far as Pro/Rel in Canada, I think it's good to talk about it now, but make it clear, it doesn't get implemented until you have 20+ teams, so you can run a league of at least ten, with other smaller leagues. It really is a moot conversation until you have at least 10 teams to stand above the rest, and the rest ideally being of decent size too.

I honestly think this pro/rel talk is more driven by business plan than any sort of ideological platform

I am pretty certain that, with some notable exceptions like Saskatchewan, markets #9-16 in size would generate much less revenue than those in #1-8. The only way to grow the league beyond CFL size, even within a single entity/high revenue sharing model, would be to have a second tier operating at a lower cost structure. But instead of having a "traditional" second tier league (in the North American sense at least), pro/rel allows teams in the second tier to at least partially shake the stigma of minor league sports and perhaps encourage more investment in secondary and tertiary markets than we have seen in the CFL. 

Within single entity or high revenue sharing, teams in the top tier could be assigned the lion's share of revenue while teams at a lower cost structure would get the minority, allowing teams in small markets that get promoted the ability to compete at parity while presumably not having drastic effects of the pyramid-wide revenue

31 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I honestly think this pro/rel talk is more driven by business plan than any sort of ideological platform

I am pretty certain that, with some notable exceptions like Saskatchewan, markets #9-16 in size would generate much less revenue than those in #1-8. The only way to grow the league beyond CFL size, even within a single entity/high revenue sharing model, would be to have a second tier operating at a lower cost structure. But instead of having a "traditional" second tier league (in the North American sense at least), pro/rel allows teams in the second tier to at least partially shake the stigma of minor league sports and perhaps encourage more investment in secondary and tertiary markets than we have seen in the CFL. 

Within single entity or high revenue sharing, teams in the top tier could be assigned the lion's share of revenue while teams at a lower cost structure would get the minority, allowing teams in small markets that get promoted the ability to compete at parity while presumably not having drastic effects of the pyramid-wide revenue

do you see this as a bad thing or a good thing?

Archived