Constructive CPL thread

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I honestly think this pro/rel talk is more driven by business plan than any sort of ideological platform

I am pretty certain that, with some notable exceptions like Saskatchewan, markets #9-16 in size would generate much less revenue than those in #1-8. The only way to grow the league beyond CFL size, even within a single entity/high revenue sharing model, would be to have a second tier operating at a lower cost structure....

Think you need to listen to the latest Paul Beirne interview. The other obvious way to deal with the market size disparity is to have multiple teams in the larger markets. He outlines that scenario multiple times during the course of the interview.

https://underthecoshblog.com/2017/06/06/coshcast-paul-beirne-goes-under-the-cosh/

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think you need to listen to the latest Paul Beirne interview. The other obvious way to deal with the market size disparity is to have multiple teams in the larger markets. He outlines that scenario multiple times during the course of the interview.

https://underthecoshblog.com/2017/06/06/coshcast-paul-beirne-goes-under-the-cosh/

True. That's what's being done in Europe.

On 2017-6-8 at 4:00 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I did, but I don't think that precludes my point. There's a difference between how the league/pyramid would be run while there is only one tier vs when there is two

On 6/8/2017 at 2:00 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

he just reiterated this point on AFTN podcast.  Essentially in a market of say a million, you could have a north and south team.

Looking at you Edmonton, Calgary ;)

leonardo-dicaprio-gatsby-wolf-of-wall-st

The English women's football league structure is an example for CPL to follow. They have a lot of commonalities and you can say the English women's league is probably on worse footing than CPL.

The English Women`s Super League (WSL) started in 2011 with 8 teams with no relegation. Then, in 2014, the WSL expanded into a WSL 1 with 10 teams and WSL 2 with also 10 teams. Promotion and relegation are in force. Below these 2 divisions are 2 regional leagues of 12 teams each.

Pro/rel is based on success on the field or business success. So for the next season with Notts Country folding its women's team, Everton was selected for FA WSL 1 based on business criteria. 

http://dailycannon.com/2017/06/everton-ladies-promoted-to-the-fa-wsl/

I`m happy the CPL is aimming for pro-rel down the road as I would only watch it on tv rather than being a season ticket holder if this was not part of the plans.

22 minutes ago, red card said:

I`m happy the CPL is aimming for pro-rel down the road as I would only watch it on tv rather than being a season ticket holder if this was not part of the plans.

Really? You are quite possibly the most passionate Canadian soccer fan out there, and you would let a lack of pro/rel get in the way of your support of the league? I'm honestly surprised.

Full disclosure, I'm not likely to be a season ticket holder either. I gave up my TFC season tickets a few years ago because it's too much time away from my young family. But I intend on supporting whatever the CPL ends up being to the best of my abilities, regardless of team budgets, playoffs or no playoffs, pro/rel or not, franchises or clubs, amount of import players allowed, track around the field, artificial turf, etc.

• 2 months later...

I want to kickstart this thread because I feel it can be useful. With all our chats and speculation, I feel we're losing focus on how we can help the league.

I propose that we restart this thread as a sort of fan discussion centre where we discuss and figure out ways to spread the knowledge of the CPL beyond the Voyageurs and Canadian soccer fanbase. I think there is a lot we can do to help this league gain attention even if it is 10-18 months away and only has 2 teams at the current time.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Start using French a lot more on the various social media is the obvious one from what I can see so far. Le Canada est un pays bilingue.

Oui, mais cela ne sera probablement pas utile, car beaucoup ne vivent pas dans les régions francophones et quelques amis / adeptes non anglais. mon français est une merde comme vous pouvez le dire

14 minutes ago, matty said:

Oui, mais cela ne sera probablement pas utile, car beaucoup ne vivent pas dans les régions francophones et quelques amis / adeptes non anglais. mon français est une merde comme vous pouvez le dire

Pour vous deux; vous n'avez pas besoin de vivre dans un endroit francophone pour parler ou promouvoir notre belle langue. Indeed, I hope CanPL offers a fresh and modern take on the "two solitudes" question that has historically limited French and English to majority regions.  

Je pense que CanPL serait beaucoup plus réussi si la ligue s'embrouillait dans un "nationalisme" ouvert et unique, dans nos traditions de soccer. Je me sens comme un bilingualisme ouvert et tolérant dans nos deux langues officielles attiendrait cet objectif.

Basically, every team should brand in both languages, and the league should do a killer social media campaign in both languages too - even in areas where Francophones are a minority (looking at you Winnipeg, Saint-Boniface and Saint-Norbert).  Canada is bilingual, and any league attempted to be "Canadian" should be as well. 

Also, your French is pretty good!  

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Pour vous deux; vous n'avez pas besoin de vivre dans un endroit francophone pour parler ou promouvoir notre belle langue. Indeed, I hope CanPL offers a fresh and modern take on the "two solitudes" question that has historically limited French and English to majority regions.  

Je pense que CanPL serait beaucoup plus réussi si la ligue s'embrouillait dans un "nationalisme" ouvert et unique, dans nos traditions de soccer. Je me sens comme un bilingualisme ouvert et tolérant dans nos deux langues officielles attiendrait cet objectif.

Basically, every team should brand in both languages, and the league should do a killer social media campaign in both languages too - even in areas where Francophones are a minority (looking at you Winnipeg, Saint-Boniface and Saint-Norbert).  Canada is bilingual, and any league attempted to be "Canadian" should be as well. 

Also, your French is pretty good!  

I agree, if possible there should be a French stream of all game (if you only have 6 teams and 3 games a week it should be doable). It's all a matter of if they money is there.

A minor issue that arises however is the areas that will have CPL teams where Indigenous languages (like Cree) are more spoken than French, which is the case for current CPL contender Saskatchewan and of course Nunavut and Northwest Territories.

BTW used google for like half of it (my French spoken thing)

Either way I don't feel this is an issue we can directly impact at the current time unless there is a Francophone social group that likes soccer that might not know about the CPL project. In which case someone who give them a pamphlet, clapbook or 8-page zine with CPL info.

BTW Should I make a pamphlet with CPL info and drop some off with the Greek and African soccer cafes and fan clubs in my area?

29 minutes ago, matty said:

I agree, if possible there should be a French stream of all game (if you only have 6 teams and 3 games a week it should be doable). It's all a matter of if they money is there.

A minor issue that arises however is the areas that will have CPL teams where Indigenous languages (like Cree) are more spoken than French, which is the case for current CPL contender Saskatchewan and of course Nunavut and Northwest Territories.

I am referring to more than just a soccer stream. For example, if you purchase a T-shirt with the CanPL logo emblazoned on the front, I'd ultimately prefer a logo with the league name in both languages - sans exceptions. I understand aesthetic arguments, but again, a league that is truly national would need to embrace the graphical limitations that come with historical and cultural relevance. 

I agree 100% about the aboriginal language issue. While English and French should both be given equal and frontal prominence, I would love to see outreach into local aboriginal tribes from local bands or nations. The issue behind aboriginal languages is that they vary from band to band in ways that would make a single aboriginal profile very cumbersome, if not outright impossible. Hence local tradition. It would allow Québec City to have a Wendaké ceremony, Regina a Cree ceremony and Halifax a Miq'mak ceremony, whilst allowing all to participate in the league equally.

Honestly, the pre-game at Stade Saputo is fantastic, multi-cultural, Francophone and cosmopolitan. The drum lines, the kids activities and the music make the price of admission well worth the trip. If CanPL only get one thing right, the culture and atmosphere would be my choice.   

6 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I am referring to more than just a soccer stream. For example, if you purchase a T-shirt with the CanPL logo emblazoned on the front, I'd ultimately prefer a logo with the league name in both languages - sans exceptions. I understand aesthetic arguments, but again, a league that is truly national would need to embrace the graphical limitations that come with historical and cultural relevance. 

I think that would work with the league patch that goes on the sleeve (English on Top, French on the Bottom, Logo in Between) but not for club design.

Archived