Camp Poutine 2017

shermanator

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/9/2017 at 4:58 AM, Jahinho Guerro said:

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but assuming so. I think everyone here would rate D3/D2 soccer over NCAA 3 month ball just off the fact of the development side. Unless you're a Larin or Morris.

However the players you mentioned could have some merrit, but if im comparing their stats on an imaginary weigthed scale that rates USL higher than D1 NCAA, with goals, assits, age, skill and experience all factored in.......I'm taking Michael Cox over Brian Wright, Raheem over Kwame, Trafford over Nanco.(Kamal should be with the U-20)

Overall, to your point and the fellas who share the same opinion with you...I think we've consistantly given out "candy caps" to players who were extremely undeserving or haven't done "much" in their pro careers, some have been given loot bags with a guaranteed amount of candy caps(Bekker, Straith, Piette, etc.)

But my point is....We now have players scoring, assisting, shot stopping, being 1v1ers, earning all-team pro accolades etc in our backyard at D2/D3 levels. So why not give them the opportunity to show their skills and see what they can offer to the red and white program.  We've had the same(questionable) quality players get released every season, playing in obscurity in Scandanavia, or on practice squads and receive their 7th, 8th, and 9th call up.

Exhaust our average player pool.

I was being slightly facetious (but not completely outrageous) as I have not seen those college guys play so cannot comment - but the larger point, and where we agree, is that sending the same old decidedly average players with low upsides is not a recipe for change/success. If the college guys/soon to be pros merit inclusion, they should be included if the staff feels they have upside. But the days of giving caps to the Stinsons, Mannellas, Aparicios and Cebaras of the Canadian soccer world after just a handful of pro matches should be over.  

I have to say that I love this new format, of evaluating a large pool of players, then selecting what is essentially an "all-star" team to play the friendly.

Surprised that Simon Thomas isn't on the list. I wonder if he was not available for some reason. While I'm aware that Crepeau is in Belgium - Carducci and Melvin were still both surprises to me. So, no Quillan or Ranjitsingh.

All of the non-injured MLS players seem to be accounted for. Larin is apparently injured.

Of the NASL players that logged top minutes last year - M. Trafford, E. Edward, D. Beckie and maybe M. Roberts are the main ones left off. Glad to see Nana back in the fold.

Jakovic is back from the dead. good for him.

All in all - a pretty good group. Cheers!

Interesting comment from Findlay in this article from Steven Sandor.

http://the11.ca/bermuda-triangle-28-canadian-players-called-only-18-chosen/

There are six players on the roster who are listed as unattached, but Findlay said they are all national-team veterans and he expects them to find clubs in the January window. In fact, he feels some will be signed before they actually get to Florida. But he warned that Unattached FC will no longer be making major contributions to the national side going forward.

“I am not a supporter of unattached players to be included in the national-team program,” he said.

2 hours ago, David C. said:

Just curious - what kind of midfielder/player is McKendry? Winger or central? Offensive or defensive? Is he particularly fast or a good passer or a smooth tackler?

DM. Average pace. Didn't set the world alight with the Caps initially in the residency and decided to take another path via the University of New Mexico where he was very highly rated and improved alot. Whitecaps having first refusal signed him to a homegrown contract and he was expected to hopefully breakthrough to be a fringe player or more but got badly injured. We really havent seen enough of him to tell, has been a mainstay for the VWC2 though, making some sporadic senior team appearances. 

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Between Callum Irving, Sean Melvin, and Marco Carducci combined - they didn't play more games then Greg Ranjitsingh.

I really wonder if he said no to Canada.

Ranjitsingh was in T&T's team for the two September World Cup qualifiers. Didn't play.

http://www.louisvillecityfc.com/news_article/show/690345?referrer_id=2631624

Archived