Camp Poutine 2017

shermanator

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/article/20170118/bascome-perfect-fit-for-bermuda

From the article

Bermuda’s team against Canada is expected to include several of the under-20 players who helped the island qualify for the Concacaf Championship in Costa Rica next month.

Lightbourne’s under-20s have been pitted against the host country, El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago in group C, after finishing runners-up in their group at the Caribbean Football Union Championship in Curaçao in October.

Having played against a number of Canada’s squad in the United Soccer League over the past two seasons, Leverock knows only too well how tough an opponent they will be.

“It’s important for Bermuda to get games like this,” Leverock said. “We don’t play too many friendlies because of where we’re located and it’s expensive to travel. To play against a team of Canada’s quality will be a real test for us.

“We will have a young team as some of the under-20s will be involved as they are preparing for their tournament.

“I think we can show the island that this young group coming through is something special.

“It’s major what they have achieved and they’re close to a World Cup and that’s huge.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

That makes sense. North American books normally list odds as + or -. So for this game the money line is Ber +475, Can -205, Draw +300. So for Canada you have to put down $205 to win $100. For Bermuda you get $475 for every $100 you put down. Euros normally list money lines as multipliers, or decimals, as you described. When I saw 1.5 times I assumed that was the + or - payout which would have been pretty sweet. Interesting that Sportsbet is paying 6 times on a Bermuda win while Bodog is paying 4.75 times, you don't normally see that variance. Makes me wonder if Bodog knows something Sportsbet doesn't.

Overall I would have thought Canada would have had more value considering how we've played. At -205 I don't think it's a smart bet, I think the smartest bet is on a draw. 

So much for Findlay's "I'm not a supporter of unattached players on the national team" comment. Here's the club breakdown for the 18-man roster:

Orlando CIty - 1

FC Dallas - 1

Montreal Impact - 2

Vancouver Whitecaps - 3

Whitecaps 2 - 1

Toronto FC - 3

Edmonton - 1

Ottawa Fury - 1

Unattached FC - 4

Unattached FC is leading club provider for this friendly!

Meanwhile, most of the cut players do have clubs.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

So much for Findlay's "I'm not a supporter of unattached players on the national team" comment. Here's the club breakdown for the 18-man roster:

Orlando CIty - 1

FC Dallas - 1

Montreal Impact - 2

Vancouver Whitecaps - 3

Whitecaps 2 - 1

Toronto FC - 3

Edmonton - 1

Ottawa Fury - 1

Unattached FC - 4

Unattached FC is leading club provider for this friendly!

Meanwhile, most of the cut players do have clubs.

Perhaps the most impressive players simply won out?

As a rule, I don't like calling unattached players, but this time of year can cause those numbers to rise. I don't think any of those four will be without a club by the time March rolls around. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

As a rule, I don't like calling unattached players, but this time of year can cause those numbers to rise. I don't think any of those four will be without a club by the time March rolls around. 

I am not actually  questioning the selection of the unattached players and I not surprised any of them made the final cut given that they all have more pro and national team experience than most of the  cut players, I just think it is a bit silly to make the statement in the first place and then not follow up on it.  It is not as though saying "unattached won't cut it" is going to provide much incentive to a player who doesn't have a club to go and find one,  they are going to want to get a club anyway because  presumably they love the sport and they want to earn a living.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

If Jakovic and Straith are our most impressive that is worrying.

1 minute ago, Vince193 said:

If Jakovic and Straith are our most impressive that is worrying.

Really, I have always rated Jakovic and still do. He has decent pace and is a good passer out of the back. Confident on the ball. Decent in the air. Use to have occasional defensive lapses but when was the last time he made a critical mistake that cost us? 

I'm not super high on Straith but I'm not worried that he made the cut. I expected as much. 

As strange as it is to say it. I feel like defenders are going to be our problem area over the next cycle not forwards or midfielders.

MLS doesn't really take chances with young CBs and we have none in the pipeline. Aside from Kadin Chub, we still don't have a RB prospect.

Contrast that with the likes of Cyle Larin, Jordan Hamilton, Alphonso Davies, Ballou Tabla, Jay Chapman etc etc. We will be a good attacking team.

3 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

As strange as it is to say it. I feel like defenders are going to be our problem area over the next cycle not forwards or midfielders.

MLS doesn't really take chances with young CBs and we have none in the pipeline. Aside from Kadin Chub, we still don't have a RB prospect.

Contrast that with the likes of Cyle Larin, Jordan Hamilton, Alphonso Davies, Ballou Tabla, Jay Chapman etc etc. We will be a good attacking team.

"a good attacking team" certainly strange to hear BUT sure hope you are right(praying).

1 hour ago, Soccerpro said:

For sure we are light on CB prospects. I hope Didic can get a chance at Sporting KC this year, along with Pasher (is he a right back or left back?).

Aside from those two, don't think we have anyone else coming through in MLS this season. I mean, we still have Dejong, Edgar and now maybe Jakovic, but Ouimette has now fallen down a rung, and Tissot looks like he may sign in NASL also. I don't want our internationals playing at this level. I'd rather them sign with Floro in Costa Rica if MLS is not in the cards.

Archived