Camp Poutine 2017

shermanator

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad they are doing a camp and having a pre-camp in the US before going to Bermuda. It will be good to have some of the peripheral players be able to challenge and make the squad so they can travel wit the team for the game. Sets up good internal competition.

I am disappointed by the location of the game though. Bermuda is first world with top quality infrastructure. Also, the weather at that time of year will be very temperate. and finally, despite their best efforts, Bermuda doe not have a high quality team. It is tough when they have such a minuscule population. This won't be the test our players need. A camp in the States followed by another camp in Nicaragua, Guyana, Haiti etc would have been more of a challenge. Hotter weather and worse infrastructure and arguably stronger teams. 

8 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I am disappointed by the location of the game though. Bermuda is first world with top quality infrastructure. Also, the weather at that time of year will be very temperate. and finally, despite their best efforts, Bermuda doe not have a high quality team. It is tough when they have such a minuscule population. This won't be the test our players need. A camp in the States followed by another camp in Nicaragua, Guyana, Haiti etc would have been more of a challenge. Hotter weather and worse infrastructure and arguably stronger teams. 

I think this isn't so much a test as a looker camp. Mostly youngster and newbies showing what they got. If it is then I'd say this is the perfect team for that but if we see ricketts, haber, edgar, de jong, ledge, johnson, hutch and other 27+ guys go then yes this is a waste.

I am pleased it's not neutral turf.

I know the opponent isn't the strongest side, but I think any regulars that'll be around for next cycle should see action. That would be De Jong, Edgar, Johnson, Straith and Ricketts.

I know there is a desire to give young fringe guys a look, but there must be a balance. Not simply to ensure a win, but to maintain and build chemistry in the group. 

On 09/12/2016 at 6:33 AM, Obinna said:

I want Chapman to make his debut here. Mo Babouli too. 

How do I half-"like" a post?

Want to see Chapman there, but Bobouli is still a little too far down the pecking order for him to get a call - would rather he earn it a year or so down the line.

59 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

How do I half-"like" a post?

Want to see Chapman there, but Bobouli is still a little too far down the pecking order for him to get a call - would rather he earn it a year or so down the line.

Bobouli should have been called over the summer. There were a few games where he was one of the best players on the pitch (the same cannot be said for Chapman who looked solid but never stood out). He's a little rough now but he's worth a look. 

1 hour ago, matty said:

Bobouli should have been called over the summer. There were a few games where he was one of the best players on the pitch (the same cannot be said for Chapman who looked solid but never stood out). He's a little rough now but he's worth a look. 

I don't think that Babouli was worthy of a call-up this summer. He had one or two good game sfor TFC this year. . I think Chapman is more deserving than Babouli. He was more consistent in his games when called upon. I don't know how many players will train with the senior team, but if you have 25 players, I don't mind if both are called.

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I don't think that Babouli was worthy of a call-up this summer. He had one or two good game sfor TFC this year. . I think Chapman is more deserving than Babouli. He was more consistent in his games when called upon. I don't know how many players will train with the senior team, but if you have 25 players, I don't mind if both are called.

Yeah I agree that Chapman deserves a call more than Babouli, but I think there's room for both. Babouli is wildly inconsistent, but he brings an unpredictable attacking element that we sorely lack, especially without Hoilett or Nakajima in the fold. I am assuming that Nakajima is done by the way.

7 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I feel Chapman is more consistent but ultimately offers less than Babouli. It's important to note with Babouli that when he was on he WAS ON and as noted by @Obinna he brings an unpredictability Canada is sorely lacking. He also brings more energy into the game IMO and could be difference maker. I think both deserve calls but would be more interested in Mo in spite of Chap's consistency

9 hours ago, matty said:

I feel Chapman is more consistent but ultimately offers less than Babouli. It's important to note with Babouli that when he was on he WAS ON and as noted by @Obinna he brings an unpredictability Canada is sorely lacking. He also brings more energy into the game IMO and could be difference maker. I think both deserve calls but would be more interested in Mo in spite of Chap's consistency

Yes he's unpredictable, but a difference maker? 

When Larin, a proven goal-scorer, doesn't score in an international game he get's tons of critic, but you expect Babouli to be the kingpin? He's scored exactly 0 goals in MLS (and USL) this season...

10 hours ago, shamrock said:

When Larin, a proven goal-scorer, doesn't score in an international game he get's tons of critic, but you expect Babouli to be the kingpin? He's scored exactly 0 goals in MLS (and USL) this season...

I never said anything about how I expect him to be a difference maker, I said he could be one. He brings not only unpredictability but an energy Canada is sometimes lacking. All that said he's very rough. @jpg75 used a better term for it with x-factor. He might prove highly valuable and might prove meh or shit. The one way to find out: call him up.

While he had zero goals, he still had as many as Chapman in MLS and USL in 2016.

19 hours ago, shamrock said:

Babouli is not going to be the kingpin. Nobody is saying that. Nobody is saying he is going to out preform Larin. What we are saying is that he has characteristics we sorely lack. Not saying he's an incredible player.

It's like Bustos. Hasn't done anything yet in MLS but has a skill set that we need. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Babouli is not going to be the kingpin. Nobody is saying that. Nobody is saying he is going to out preform Larin. What we are saying is that he has characteristics we sorely lack. Not saying he's an incredible player.

It's like Bustos. Hasn't done anything yet in MLS but has a skill set that we need. 

yes. yes. yes

Archived