FIFA rankings - why they are important and how to beat the system

masster

1 hour ago, Kent said:

OK, so with the loss to Jamaica last night, things don't look good. According to the prognosis tool on the FIFA website, we won't pass any CONCACAF teams this month, and in fact El Salvador will move into a tie with us. We move from 331 to 352 points, and El Salvador will move from 319 to 352.

So this Gold Cup that has gotten a lot of us all giddy, actually hurts our ranking within the confederation, which really is what matters for the World Cup qualifying draw.

True. But I'm hopeful that our ranking will continue to improve as we drop 2013 and 2014 games out the back end!

1 hour ago, Addona said:

True. But I'm hopeful that our ranking will continue to improve as we drop 2013 and 2014 games out the back end!

I'm not an expert on this, but it looks to me like Curacao is catchable, and El Salvador of course since we will be tied with them. I imagine all the others are out of reach. If I'm right about that, and we reach that potential, we would be ranked 9th in CONCACAF at the time of the WCQ draw. If it's the same format as last time, that puts us in the 9th to 21st pot... so no better off than teams like Guyana and Grenada.

I am likely in the minority, but having extra (and winnable) games against Dominica and Belize served Canada well last time.  Having more "real games", especially in more tropical climates with lower quality playing fields, helped the team prepare for the group stage. It would be nice to have Canada ranked higher, but if they have to do some qualifying games again it is not the end of the world.

1 hour ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I am likely in the minority, but having extra (and winnable) games against Dominica and Belize served Canada well last time.  Having more "real games", especially in more tropical climates with lower quality playing fields, helped the team prepare for the group stage. It would be nice to have Canada ranked higher, but if they have to do some qualifying games again it is not the end of the world.

Getting World Cup qualifiers against those countries are fine, they aren't the problem presented by our poor ranking. If we were ranked better though, then in the round where we always fail we could potentially swap out a Honduras from our group in favour of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

2 hours ago, WheatsheafSK said:

It effects our seeding so then we have 2 top teams in our group just to get to the Hex.

• 3 weeks later...

14- Mexico +2

21- Costa Rica +5

26- USA +9

55- Haiti -6

57- Jamaica +19

61- Panama -9

75- Honduras -3

83- T&T -5

86- Curacao -18

95- Canada +5

100- Guatemala +2

We gained +21 points from the Gold Cup and are now 18 points back from Madagascar at 90th and 21 points clear of Guatemala at 100th place.

Edited by harrycoyster

42 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Right.

How much would Canada advance in the FIFA Rankings if they beat Jamaica? Considering they are 57th in the world and we are 95th 

Our point score would increase by 16 points with a win. The position would depend on the movement of the other teams, but based on this month's rankings that would put us up to 92nd. A draw would see our score drop by 8 points (we're passively trending downward because of ranking decay this month) and it would go down by 20 with a loss (putting us in 96th and 99th in this month's ranking, respectively).

Worth noting that it being a friendly means it isn't worth a lot of points (x3 less than a game at the Gold Cup), although a draw against them would still be beneficial in the long run regardless.

Edited by Zem

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Very important question:

With the win against Jamaica (57th) how much will we (95th) move up in the FIFA Rankings? 

I believe it comes out September 10th

It is possible that we don't move up at all or gain any points if this "non-FIFA" thing is correct. If the match is not recognized as an official friendly we don't get any points for the win. At the moment the match still isn't listed on FIFA.com so it is not officially recognized. I emailed the department at FIFA that deals with updating info from games yesterday inquiring about this but haven't heard anything back from them yet. If I don't hear back or if the game isn't added to FIFA.com within the week I plan to email the CSA for clarification. I will keep you posted on any updates. On another note, FIFA has added the el Salvador friendly to their website even though not all details are confirmed yet. This is all very confusing. 

7 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Bravo ! The game Canada-Jamaica is an official  FIFA match.  368  are the possible ranking points !

However  Canada will still remain in the 10th place of Concacaf. A friendly against Haiti or Trinidad would be valuable for FIFA points

Edited by xabuep2

I guess this is relevant for this thread.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/04/fifa-review-rankings-system-friendlies-harm-englands-world-cup/

I'm not sure why it would be expected for a team that didn't make the final 8 of the last Euro Cup, or the final 16 of the last World Cup, to be ranked in the top 7 in the world, but hey, if it causes the review and things can be improved that's great.

5 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Bravo ! The game Canada-Jamaica is an official  FIFA match.  368  are the possible ranking points !

So let me get this straight: If the points for the other teams stays the same, we will move up to 92nd. Is this correct?