Roster speculation/confirmation for October friendlies

Toje

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

If folks on this board won't stop crapping on players like Ricketts, or Straith, or Piette for not being good enough, I'm not going to stop crapping on players like Vitoria for not committing earlier

Fyp 

Also i am not agreeing with this perspective just trying to view it from their perspective. A lot of players with parents coming straight off the boat  often live very European lifestyles and are taught from a very young age to be considered European before Canadian (many of them are often taught their native language first and learn English at school). Which is why many players leave Canada for other countries unlike the USA where they are a melting pot

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Fyp 

Also i am not agreeing with this perspective just trying to view it from their perspective. A lot of players with parents coming straight off the boad are often live very European lifestyles and are taught from a very young age to be considered European before Canadian. Which is why many players leave Canada for other countries unlike the USA where they are a melting pot

Yeah it's the same with African parents as well.

When you are personally told by a parent (or parents) that you are African before Canadian, you understand why choosing Canada isn't always cut and dry.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

@shermanatorVitória has been solid and error free in the limited times he has played for us. The jury is out on whether or not he's good enough, but early signs are that he is. Keep in mind, he's preformed well despite coming in with no club minutes under his belt, unlike Straith, who makes errors despite playing week in and week out.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on his performances with the national team to date. I thought he was quite poor against the US in particular, and that was shortly after a dumpster fire of a year in Philadelphia. 

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah it's the same with African parents as well.

When you are personally told by a parent (or parents) that you are African before Canadian, you understand why choosing Canada isn't always cut and dry.

That's fair. I can't relate to this point of view since I'm one of the few Canadians that isn't FIFA eligible for another country.

39 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on his performances with the national team to date. I thought he was quite poor against the US in particular, and that was shortly after a dumpster fire of a year in Philadelphia. 

That's a very interesting opinion. What about his performance stood out as "quite poor" against the US? 

I didn't watch too many of his matches for the Union, but the one I recall most was against TFC at BMO, where he scored and wasn't responsible for any goals. 

Here are some headlines from that season:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/09/09/after-early-season-injury-struggles-steven-vitoria-becoming-defensive-rock

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2015/11/13/9702636/2015-union-player-review-richie-marquez-steven-vitoria-ethan-white

The common theme in articles was that he started poorly, was injured for 3 months, came back and was impressive. 

Hardly a dumpster fire of a year - mixed is probably more fair wouldn't you agree?

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's a very interesting opinion. What about his performance stood out as "quite poor" against the US? 

I didn't watch too many of his matches for the Union, but the one I recall most was against TFC at BMO, where he scored and wasn't responsible for any goals. 

Here are some headlines from that season:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/09/09/after-early-season-injury-struggles-steven-vitoria-becoming-defensive-rock

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2015/11/13/9702636/2015-union-player-review-richie-marquez-steven-vitoria-ethan-white

The common theme in articles was that he started poorly, was injured for 3 months, came back and was impressive. 

Hardly a dumpster fire of a year - mixed is probably more fair wouldn't you agree?

He was nowhere near a dumpster fire in MLS. Most Philly fans thought he was pretty solid, just spectacularly overpaid 

On 25/09/2016 at 6:36 PM, yothat said:

Of the NASL canadian defenders I would say Mason Trafford who plays for legendary italian CB Nesta should get a call up followed by Eddie Edwards who leads in min played by a canadian in the MLS or NASL. 

I would say Attakora has more of a claim on a call up than either of them. He is in better form now and has had a much better career in NASL than either of them. He also has past MLS experience and CanMNT experience.

On 22/09/2016 at 10:12 PM, farrelld said:

I know it is a FIFA window but it will be interesting to see how many key MLS guys will make the trip considering their teams are battling for their playoff lives or for a chance at the Supporter's Shield. 

Few Whitecaps and maybe Larin. Maybe a current bench guy from TFC or Impact. Won't be many and I doubt Johnson, Osorio or Akindele will there.

I'm just wondering, why wouldn't MLS players come? All who were called for the Hex should be called again. If theyh were missing games, I'd keep them at their clubs, but they won't. We don't have that many opportunities to work with the European-based players. I hear people on this board saying that it's not crazy for us to win the Gold Cup, but we shouldn't care about preparing the Gold Cup like a serious tournament. We only have 3 camps where we can call all our players before the Gold Cup.

I could see Larin being held back, given that Orlando City are only 3 points back of the playoffs as of today. I could also see Ricketts held back due to injury.

However, TFC, Whitecaps, Impact or FC Dallas have no real reason to hold back any players given that they either have clinched already (TFC, FCD), are basically eliminated already (VWFC), or don't have any Canadians playing a key role right now IMFC). FC Dallas

Don't kid yourself, the Supporters Shield is meaningless. Top 2 in the conference I could see. FC Dallas are 5 points clear with 3 games to go, and Akindele is not a starter. Does anyone think TFC would hold back Johnson or Osorio given the outrage when they haven't been called over the last few months / years?

I could totally see the following scenario play out though.

Sept 2015 - Sept 2016 - Canada doesn't call up Osorio. TFC, their supporters, and various national team supporters are outraged.

Sept 2016 - Floro is fired. TFC, their supporters, and various national team supporters welcome the return of Osorio to the national team

Oct 2016 - Osorio is called up to the national team. TFC declines, citing a playoff push. TFC and their supporters are happy for the decline of the call up as the playoffs are more important.

15 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I could totally see the following scenario play out though.

Sept 2015 - Sept 2016 - Canada doesn't call up Osorio. TFC, their supporters, and various national team supporters are outraged. VWCFC gets the blame for hating Canada.

Sept 2016 - Floro is fired. TFC, their supporters, and various national team supporters welcome the return of Osorio to the national team. VWCFC still hate Canada.

Oct 2016 - Osorio is called up to the national team. TFC VWCFC declines on TFC's behalf, citing a playoff push. TFC and their supporters are happy for the decline of the call up as the playoffs are more important. VWCFC Execs throw their capes over their shoulders, laugh manically and disappear in a puff of smoke that conveniently spells out we hate Canada.

Fixed a few things.

Just now, jpg75 said:

There are only a few MLS clubs - such as Vancouver - that have chosen to play during international breaks. TFC have no reason to hold back their players and probably won't.

Vancouver isn't playing this international break. All MLS teams aren't playing until the Sunday (it will be the last matchday) after the end of the window except 6  and none of them have a Canadian player on their roster (Columbus, Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Colorado & San Jose)  So, unless the player is considered too old to be part of the team down the road, (ie Bernier) I don't see who the CSA shouldn't call from our MLS players.

NASL is another thing since they are playing during the international window so I wouldn't call Ledgerwood because Edmonton has a huge match against Tampa Bay during camp. Stamatopoulos is the only other player I wouldn't call and I'd call Thomas and Chencinski instead to compete for the back-up job.

Archived