Roster speculation/confirmation for October friendlies

Toje

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Responding to the question of a neutral venue and us playing Mauritania: first, there are a lot of Mauritians in Morrocco and we could see a few thousand in the stadium, depending on the ticket prices. It is in fact pretty well the nearest foreign country to the city, Algeria is slightly closer but no population anywhere near their border.

Second, these matches were presented as a sort of trophy, I think, from having seen something on the FIFA site (anyone else see that?). So in that case you'd accept it, like when we played Iran in the LG tournament in Cairo in 2001, when we also played Egypt.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Responding to the question of a neutral venue and us playing Mauritania: first, there are a lot of Mauritians in Morrocco and we could see a few thousand in the stadium, depending on the ticket prices. It is in fact pretty well the nearest foreign country to the city, Algeria is slightly closer but no population anywhere near their border.

Judging by the managers' voices echoing in the stadium, it appears this game didn't draw thousands of Mauritanians.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

Judging by the managers' voices echoing in the stadium, it appears this game didn't draw thousands of Mauritanians.

Odd really. There are literally hundreds of thousands in Morroco, there are quite a few in Spain too. Maybe they are poor (likely the case), or not in Marrakesh either, don't know. Still, I was surprised.

What is cool is we get to play in that same stadium vs Morocco, with plenty of rest and prep, and the atmosphere is going to be totally different.

Anyone notice some of our guys played with long sleeves with temperatures in the high 20s?

23 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Second, these matches were presented as a sort of trophy, I think, from having seen something on the FIFA site (anyone else see that?). So in that case you'd accept it, like when we played Iran in the LG tournament in Cairo in 2001, when we also played Egypt.

I didn't see a single fan in the one side of the stadium throughout the match. I assumed it was close door. Was that not the case?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I really don't know, but closed door, dunno. Why renounce possible ticket sales if you could?

Because the cost of security/manning concessions would be greater than the revenue from ticket sales. 

Also i assume the cost to simply rent the pitch is far less than renting the pitch and the seating area. Maybe the cost of insurance comes into play as well. 

Archived