Roster speculation/confirmation for October friendlies

Toje

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Junior Hoillet? Dude can't even get a club in League One!

Fixed your post...

Sorry, just that people get on everyone but Junior seems to get a huge benefit of the doubt in everything. We played him vs. Honduras out of shape and lacking game pace. And hardly anyone complained (except our tv commentators, quite rightly).

Funny about Bustos, watching WCII last night: he was far from being a stalwart on the team, I could name 3-4 other Canadians who looked sharper. Not that he was bad, but he did not shine. Froese was better, Baldisimo had some nice play, Levis was hot and cold, but even the teens like Gardner. I only watched the first half BTW, late here.

You'd think a guy being called up for Canada would shine over the rest of the Canadians, and not the case.

I find the Bustos call pretty surprising as well.  10 first team appearances for Vancouver, none of which have been particularly impressive.  Davies is 4 years younger and already has 14 this season with a handful of impressive showings... Kianz Froese also has done more for the first team.

I just don't get Canada Soccer, I really try.  Bustos isn't on either U23 team in 2015 (for no particular reason) but then is getting senior calls?  

Bustos might be the case of calling a specific type of player. With Floro gone, perhaps Osorio plays as a 10 for us (like he's been with TFC recently), leaving Bustos as his backup.

I am okay with Davies not being called, although I'd prefer he was.

I think Junior gets the benefit of the doubt because he's clearly the most talented attacker in the program. If it were DeRo taking extra time to sort out his club football, I don't think people would be overly concern.

The roster is a little weak but it's nice to get a few fresh faces in there.

16 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Does anyone know why Hoilett is still unnattached? What is he waiting for exactly? There have to be offers on the table for him.

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. He has a history of managing his football in a strange way. Guess it's his agen....I mean his dad. 

33 minutes ago, Kent said:

Have they really not announced the times for these friendlies? All I can find is the dates, no times listed.

5 minutes ago, Ngravs9 said:

The Morocco game is at 3pm eastern time zone and the Mauritania game is still To be confirmed 

http://canadasoccer.com/

The Mauritania game is at the same stadium in Marrakech while Morocco are playing in Gabon, so it could very well be at the same time as the Morocco game.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

The Mauritania game is at the same stadium in Marrakech while Morocco are playing in Gabon, so it could very well be at the same time as the Morocco game.

The paper here in Vancouver listed it today as 3 am, which would be noon or 1 pm in Marrakech.

Frigging weird Floro could have thought playing Mauritania was a good idea, his first two matches were against them, a 0-0 and a loss 1-0. OK, understand it has to do with having contacts between federations, the CSA knows these people from the previous time. They are also, so we heard, "improving", they are now Fifa ranking 96th, three years ago in the 140s.

Was checking, they did not qualify for the next Africa Nation's Cup, and are not in the final groups for the WC either, they are out of both already. 

Morocco's Gabon away match is their first for WC qualifing, CAF starts the qualifiers for Russia this week. They have also qualified for the Nation's Cup, to be held this Jan-Feb in Gabon precisely. The draws for groups in that tournament are not done yet.

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Has it been said if Canada is streaming this?

Either way apparently the game will be on Mauritania TV

Here is the stream of that channel:

http://original.livestream.com/bellewarmediatv

Canada will face Mauritania in a Men's International Friendly match this Thursday 6 October. The 2016 match will be played at the Grand Stade de Marrakech with a 20.00 local kick off.

The Thursday international match will be broadcast live on CanadaSoccer.com at 15.00 ET / 12.00 PT.

This is from the article on the CSA website.

Archived