Roster speculation/confirmation for October friendlies

Toje

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Ugh. Fuck Vitoria.

He's been on the team 9 months now. It's not helpful to say such negative things about committed players publicly. He's not refusing a call up.

1 hour ago, Toje said:

Steven Vitória has been called up.

Is this the club website's post about it? http://lechia-gdansk.pl/news/show/steven-vitoria-z-powolaniem-do-reprezentacji-kanady

15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He's been on the team 9 months now. It's not helpful to say such negative things about committed players publicly. He's not refusing a call up.

Is this the club website's post about it? http://lechia-gdansk.pl/news/show/steven-vitoria-z-powolaniem-do-reprezentacji-kanady

And he spent the previous 9 years thinking he was too good for our national team. Considering all the crap that players like Ricketts and Piette take on this forum, Vitoria doesn't get nearly enough.

53 minutes ago, shermanator said:

And he spent the previous 9 years thinking he was too good for our national team. Considering all the crap that players like Ricketts and Piette take on this forum, Vitoria doesn't get nearly enough.

So did Hoilett and he has been a great player for the NT so far. Players deserve second chances. You aren't acting very Canadian ?

Yeah there has to be a healthy balance, right? With guys who are in their late 20's to early 30's, I'd only take the key players. Johnson, Hutchinson, Vitória (called), Edgar, De Jong, Arfield, Borjan, Ricketts.

Jakovic, Issey, Ledgerwood, Hainault, Jackson, Hume...I'd leave those guys off. 

In their place, Gasparotto, Petrasso, Aird, Stanese, Davies and Tabla. 

Not to say the aforementioned are done, but let's get some new/less familiar young guys in the fold. 

I think we should build for the next cycle and not play any of the guys who will be to old for that cycle. Starting the old players in friendlies does nothing for our future. We should have 4 of those guys at the most (the key players like Hutch)

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

I think we should build for the next cycle and not play any of the guys who will be to old for that cycle. Starting the old players in friendlies does nothing for our future. We should have 4 of those guys at the most (the key players like Hutch)

I agree. I think this would be a good mix, included ages as well. I think this would be a very young, but competitive team. All of the players could realistically still be playing 4 years from now. 

Goalie: Borjan 28, Thomas 26, Crepeau 22

Defence: de Jong 29, Edgar 29, Henry 23, James 23, Aird 21, Gasparotto 21, Tomori 18 (hopefully) 

Midfield: Hutchinson 33, Johnson 29, Arfield 27, Hoilett 26, Bekker 26, Akindele 24, Osorio 23, Petrasso 21, Tabla 17, Davies 15

Forward: Larin 21, Hamilton 20, Zanatta 20

34 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I agree. I think this would be a good mix, included ages as well. I think this would be a very young, but competitive team. All of the players could realistically still be playing 4 years from now. 

Defence: de Jong 29, Edgar 29, Henry 23, James 23, Aird 21, Gasparotto 21, Tomori 18 (hopefully) 

Midfield: Hutchinson 33, Johnson 29, Arfield 27, Hoilett 26, Bekker 26, Akindele 24, Osorio 23, Petrasso 21, Tabla 17, Davies 15

Hate to say it but Hutch likely can't at the age of 37

53 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I like this lineup with two exceptions. First, Piette in for Hutchinson. Hutch won't be there in 4 years and I imagine Piette will still be in the mix, regardless of how much people on this board don't rate him.

Second, I think we should pump the brakes a bit on Davies. If we're going for a youth movement, why not look at Shamit Shome? Just captained our U-20 team in Costa Rica. Of course, given that he's at U of A as well as playing in NASL that may be a tough sell.

I think it be good for Shamit Shome to get a call up. Also help fced sell to a bigger club with a national team camp under his resume. Agree with these Forwards - Larin 21, Hamilton 20, Zanatta 20 . Would like to see more fresh faces at mid like Petrasso n Davies

3 hours ago, yothat said:

I think it be good for Shamit Shome to get a call up. Also help fced sell to a bigger club with a national team camp under his resume. Agree with these Forwards - Larin 21, Hamilton 20, Zanatta 20 . Would like to see more fresh faces at mid like Petrasso n Davies

What about Ben Fisk? He also seems to be doing well at Edmonton.

20 hours ago, shermanator said:

Well, he's on the team and committed.  And frankly, by this logic, someone like Hoillet should get lots of grief too.  He's with us, so maybe we should give it up?  And given the amount of players we've plucked from other nations, and the amount of players that have been in a similar situation to Vitoria, we should be used  to this by now.  

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Well, he's on the team and committed.  And frankly, by this logic, someone like Hoillet should get lots of grief too.  He's with us, so maybe we should give it up?  And given the amount of players we've plucked from other nations, and the amount of players that have been in a similar situation to Vitoria, we should be used  to this by now.  

Right, I forgot about that time Hoilett played in the U-20 world cup in his home country in another shirt by his own choice.

Vitoria's spurning of the national team until he realized he suddenly wasn't too good to play for Canada many years later is on another level than someone like Hoilett (who never played for another country) or Aird (who did play for another country but made the decision to switch back at a young age). He doesn't upgrade our back end compared to the players we currently have, who have proudly committed to wearing the maple leaf for years at both the youth and senior levels.

If folks on this board won't stop crapping on players like Ricketts, or Straith, or Piette for not being good enough, I'm not going to stop crapping on players like Vitoria for not being good enough.

@shermanatorVitória has been solid and error free in the limited times he has played for us. The jury is out on whether or not he's good enough, but early signs are that he is. Keep in mind, he's preformed well despite coming in with no club minutes under his belt, unlike Straith, who makes errors despite playing week in and week out.

Archived