Summer 2016 Transfers

Ruffian

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far it looks like many of these players have already made moves.

On May 15, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Ruffian said:

We have a substantial amount of players who are likely on the move this summer.

Marcel de Jong - Out of contract mid summer as his Ottawa contract runs out. Signed with Vancouver.

David Edgar - Out of contract with Sheffield United. Also Signed with Vancouver

Steven Vitória - Still not playing anywhere although contract with Benfica. No idea where he will end up.

Tosaint Ricketts - Maybe TFC mid-summer? Wiki says Shillong Lajong F.C.??? Signed with TFC.

Marcus Haber - Out of contract. Rumoured to be in talks with Columbus Crew.

Junior Hoilett - Looking for Bundesliga, Premier or maybe Benfica. Rumoured to be in talks with Swansea or extending with QPR. Nothing confirmed.

Luca Gasparotto - No idea where he is headed.  Signed with Falkirk FC in Scottish Championship.

Simeon Jackson - Had a good year in the championship.  Went down a level to League One side Walsall FC.

Lucas Cavallini - Not sure, talk of a move???  Nothing yet.

Doneil Henry - Hopefully hear of a loan deal closer to the end of the summer. Out 6-8 weeks with an injury.

Hopefully we do not see a lot of players making steps down.

In addition to them:

Manjrekar James signed with Vasas Budapest of the Hungarian League.

Iain Hume went back to India.

Maxim Tissot was released by Montreal and signed with Ottawa.

Randy Edwini-Bonsu released by VfR Aalen and signed with FC 08 Homburg.

Kristopher Twardek files a one time switch to play for Canada.

Liam Miller joined Liverpool's academy.

Harrison Patton and Marcus Godinho joined Heart's academy.

Also Kofi Opare may now be eligible for us.

Overall seems like a relatively good summer for our players. Several veterans signed with Canadian MLS while some of our youth went to good academies.  

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

I would have thought he would have gotten a look at and NASL club and they would have provided him a better living than a 4th tier German club??

I wonder if Randy was one of the Canadians that FC Edmonton couldn't come to an agreement with a week or so ago. There was an article noting something like that recently.

20 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

He may just prefer to play in Europe.

I agree. I actually originally wrote that saying "6th tier German club??" because when I looked on Wikipedia I mistakenly read it was a 6th tier club. But actually they finished 6th in their league last year. Made it a more reasonable question then.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Floortom said:

So what's the word with Hoilett? Is he going to sign with a club soon? Would be disappointing if he was still unattached for the September matches. He needs to play  before then

I think he will find a team before then.

Not a transfer link per se, but after an article suggesting Aston Villa pick up Junior Hoilett in early July, here is another voicing Birmingham City to consider him.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/07/29/three-free-agents-for-birmingham-to-consider/page/1/

Here is a similar article regarding Leeds United. There is mention here of Aston Villa and Newcastle being previously interested this off season. I haven't heard anything about Newcastle, so that's interesting....

http://www.idradebeleeds.com/latestnews/free-agents/

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Unless Bilic is planning to make him a left back (or a striker, I guess) I would highly doubt it.  Pretty full up on attacking midfielders. 

3 followers? This guy must be legit

7 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I wish Larin would be bought by Ajax already. They desperately need a new striker and actually have some cash to burn. He would become top scorer (I know it does't say a lot, considering Jozy Altidore has been before).

Just because Altidore's career did not thrive after Ajax, it does not mean being a great scorer for Ajax isn't a big deal. 

Just now, shermanator said:

Plus, just because Jozy Altidore became the top scorer at AZ does not mean Cyle Larin would become the top scorer at AZ if he were to transfer there. That's a lazy comparison between two MLS players.

I see what you did there.

The days where a top scorer of the Eredivisie really meant something are long passed...

f4f2234a-2fd7-4391-b6e0-d9daa646ef69_Ron

But still Ajax was able to sell Arek Milek for €32 mil to Napoli. Honestly, Milek can't do half what Larin already brings to the table. 

Btw talking about AZ, they also have some cash to burn as they sold topscorer (...) Vincent Janssen to Tottenham for at least €20 mil. And yes, Larin would probably become Eredivisie topscorer at AZ as well. Still hoping Marc Overmars will see the light though. 

Archived