Summer 2016 Transfers

Ruffian

We have a substantial amount of players who are likely on the move this summer.

Marcel de Jong - Out of contract mid summer as his Ottawa contract runs out.

David Edgar - Out of contract with Sheffield United

Steven Vitória - Still not playing anywhere although contract with Benfica

Tosaint Ricketts - Maybe TFC mid-summer? Wiki says Shillong Lajong F.C.???

Marcus Haber - Out of contract

Junior Hoilett - Looking for Bundesliga, Premier or maybe Benfica

Luca Gasparotto - No idea where he is headed

Simeon Jackson - Had a good year in the championship

Lucas Cavallini - Not sure, talk of a move???

Doneil Henry - Hopefully hear of a loan deal closer to the end of the summer.

Hopefully we do not see a lot of players making steps down.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

We have a substantial amount of players who are likely on the move this summer.

Marcel de Jong - Out of contract mid summer as his Ottawa contract runs out.

David Edgar - Out of contract with Sheffield United

Steven Vitória - Still not playing anywhere although contract with Benfica

Tosaint Ricketts - Maybe TFC mid-summer? Wiki says Shillong Lajong F.C.???

Marcus Haber - Out of contract

Junior Hoilett - Looking for Bundesliga, Premier or maybe Benfica

Luca Gasparotto - No idea where he is headed

Simeon Jackson - Had a good year in the championship

Lucas Cavallini - Not sure, talk of a move???

Doneil Henry - Hopefully hear of a loan deal closer to the end of the summer.

Hopefully we do not see a lot of players making steps down.

The Cavallini stuff in the winter was odd. It sounded like he was going to join that Argentinian team, didn't, but is on their list for the summer. So we'll see what happens on that front.

28 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

"The big factor with Marcus in the end was the Canada thing."

Yeah, that's pretty clear.

You have to think, though, that "the Canada thing" is only what tips the scales and not the main consideration. If he were potting 20-25 a season and showing positive effort game in and game out, they would put up with absences and be glad to have him back.  Barcelona doesn't complain about "the Argentina thing".

23 minutes ago, shorty said:

You have to think, though, that "the Canada thing" is only what tips the scales and not the main consideration. If he were potting 20-25 a season and showing positive effort game in and game out, they would put up with absences and be glad to have him back.  Barcelona doesn't complain about "the Argentina thing".

Could be wrong but I don't think League One stops for international breaks, while La Liga does. Makes the "Argentina thing" much less to complain about

36 minutes ago, Oranje said:

Could be wrong but I don't think League One stops for international breaks, while La Liga does. Makes the "Argentina thing" much less to complain about

Actually they do complain about the Argentina thing (and brazil for that matter) As both Messi and Neymar were told to choose between the Copa America and the Olympics.

45 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Actually they do complain about the Argentina thing (and brazil for that matter) As both Messi and Neymar were told to choose between the Copa America and the Olympics.

Spain's gon complain, international break just gives them *less* to complain about

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

Interesting.  Didn't know that.  Also breaking or not breaking for FIFA dates makes a difference, too, as Oranje mentioned.  I note, though, that Barcelona might complain, but they wouldn't likely let either Messi's or Neymar's contract expire as a result of their international commitments alone, which was my point.  Despite the quote from the article, and even with League One not breaking for FIFA windows (although that surely doesn't help), it's unlikely Haber's commitment to Canada alone would be cause for Crewe to let him go.  It's got to be one factor among several or many.

On 17/5/2016 at 9:35 PM, canta15 said:

Of couse we do, but not the games strictly speaking, in normal FIFA dates. It is the overall effect on the players, which we call "virus FIFA". Our skid this season started right after the latest international break, we came back lost to Madrid at home, At Madrid took us out of Champions, we lost to Real Sociedad and Valencia, we blew a 12 point league lead. And had to win on the last day to take the trophy.

Of course the big clubs lose almost everyone to international dates, of 23 you could lose 17 with u-21s included, for example. So you can't even train, there is nothing you can do at all. 

As for Copa and Olympics, we have some clear precedents and we've learned from them. The beginning of the end of Saviola at Barcelona was him insisting on playing both, Athens and Copa America. After that, he was on his way out, he screwed up a Barça career to win an Olympic gold. Everyone here is clear on this.

I personally think a club complaining about international dates like Crewe is doing, like we've seen a lot of lower tier teams, is disgraceful and classless. So screw Crewe, they want to be lower league then let be really lower league, let them lower themselves to that all the way. They should be proud to have international on their roster, and sign their national players accordingly.

Curious what will happen with MDJ and Vitoria. I know @Benjamin Massey shudders any time Vitoria's name is spoken, written, or typed out (glad to have given you the wobbles there Ben!). Ottawa will lose an impact player, but MDJ needs to ensure he goes to a place where he gets first team football consistently. He'd get that in Ottawa without question.

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

I would think Ottawa would be motivated to keep de Jong given that he's directly responsible for 4 of their 8 points thus far this season. Would they shell out the $ to do so? I doubt it.

IMO, De Jong is by the far the most creative player the Fury has and plays in a much more advanced role than we are used to seeing him play in.  He's still got some decent paydays but I don't believe Ottawa will pay the salary required to keep him around for the fall.    

A new article on de Jong is out. The title on Reddit says the following:

Marcel de Jong: "There is a possibility that I stay. My wife and my daughter are well here. Happy wife, happy life! At the same time, my agent is making calls and there seem to be some interesting scenarios for me"

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/sports/soccer/201605/25/01-4985037-de-jong-la-vedette-temporaire-du-fury.php?_branch_match_id=259464478082630854

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

A new article on de Jong is out. The title on Reddit says the following:

Marcel de Jong: "There is a possibility that I stay. My wife and my daughter are well here. Happy wife, happy life! At the same time, my agent is making calls and there seem to be some interesting scenarios for me"

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/sports/soccer/201605/25/01-4985037-de-jong-la-vedette-temporaire-du-fury.php?_branch_match_id=259464478082630854

The article says that he will play in Vancouver on June 8th. Is he going to leave camp early? Or will he fly all day Wednesday and arrive in Vancouver just a couple of hours before the match and play as a sub or something? That would be kinda crazy.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Floortom said:

Haber cant be very happy that a poor League 2 side is where he ends up

Guy's gotta eat. I wonder how this will affect how Floro rates him? He's played pretty consistently for Floro. As a cruel irony, his call ups were a large factor in him being dropped, and probably a large factor in him not finding another league 1 (or equivalent) team, and yet his dropping down to a lower level of competition will probably see those call ups get fewer and further between.

32 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Guy's gotta eat. I wonder how this will affect how Floro rates him? He's played pretty consistently for Floro. As a cruel irony, his call ups were a large factor in him being dropped, and probably a large factor in him not finding another league 1 (or equivalent) team, and yet his dropping down to a lower level of competition will probably see those call ups get fewer and further between.

If Piette can get call ups, anyone can.

Archived