Summer 2016 Transfers

Ruffian

36 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

What about the possibility of him signing with Columbus? They need to shake things up. This would also be a lower pressure situation than a veteran CanMNT player returning to a Canadian MLS team and expected to be an instant All-Star.

I don't think anybody expects Ricketts and Haber to be instant All-stars

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you read the Red Patch Boys Forum the opinion is that, even before we know the details if they are actually signed or how much they will get paid, is that they are overpaid and useless. Maybe All-Star is the wrong word. I just used it to indicate that they would have to produce a lot more than any other nationality players coming in to not be considered a failure.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

If you read the Red Patch Boys Forum the opinion is that, even before we know the details if they are actually signed or how much they will get paid, is that they are overpaid and useless. Maybe All-Star is the wrong word. I just used it to indicate that they would have to produce a lot more than any other nationality players coming in to not be considered a failure.

Would it make a difference with that particular fan base if these players' home addresses were within the GTA?  I don't know, maybe they might have a few more supporters due to possible personal connections/relationships.

4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the possibility of Haber going to the USL, not Hamilton/Babouli

Indeed, Haber is a good hold-up player, English League target point, but I think the times that you could just walk in from League One in MLS are behind us. Fans are going to expect more. I could see him playing in NASL easily but honestly I don't think he'll last long in MLS. 

49 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Indeed, Haber is a good hold-up player, English League target point, but I think the times that you could just walk in from League One in MLS are behind us. Fans are going to expect more. I could see him playing in NASL easily but honestly I don't think he'll last long in MLS. 

The attackers are mostly Championship level but the defenders are still League One level id we were to roughly compare.

53 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Personally, I don't think there is a fit for Haber at TFC given Hamilton's strong showing the last few weeks. Ricketts, however, makes sense as a depth upgrade on both Endoh and Babouli on the wing.

TFC does need another target man. Hamilton has been doing great and he's starting to really put his body on the line doing the hold up thing and certainly technically better than Haber, but I see Hamilton as more of a poacher than hold up guy. At least, Hamilton needs to bulk up more if he's going to get abused by MLS defenders doing the hold up thing.

TFC offence heavily relies on a partnering striker to create space for Giovinco to do his thing. Babouli is pretty much a light version of Giovinco. Best mentor to learn from, and I see Babouli taking over one of wide forward roles if TFC goes to 4-3-3.

I don't see Ricketts as an upgrade to Endoh or Babouli. Pacey, but that's about all Ricketts has going for him. I think he's best used as a late game sub to try to stretch the opposition defence as a striker. Endoh is already technically better and has better off the ball movement.

42 minutes ago, Yohan said:

TFC does need another target man. Hamilton has been doing great and he's starting to really put his body on the line doing the hold up thing and certainly technically better than Haber, but I see Hamilton as more of a poacher than hold up guy. At least, Hamilton needs to bulk up more if he's going to get abused by MLS defenders doing the hold up thing.

TFC offence heavily relies on a partnering striker to create space for Giovinco to do his thing. Babouli is pretty much a light version of Giovinco. Best mentor to learn from, and I see Babouli taking over one of wide forward roles if TFC goes to 4-3-3.

I don't see Ricketts as an upgrade to Endoh or Babouli. Pacey, but that's about all Ricketts has going for him. I think he's best used as a late game sub to try to stretch the opposition defence as a striker. Endoh is already technically better and has better off the ball movement.

Just curious. Do you think Babouli should be on the Canada squad over Ricketts?

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

One thing to keep in mind is the level we are accustomed to watching Ricketts, which is international. I think in MLS his movement and technical ability won't stand out as poor.

He hasn't looked fantastic against CONCACAF teams that are below MLS level, IMO 

He's fast, so he can be an Oduro-type player, but I'm sure he'll still get plenty of ire from fans

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

Not sure about that last part of your sentence re: Endoh. I think the one of the biggest areas of improvement that he needs (something I find with a lot of players coming out of the US college system) is a lack of awareness of where he needs to be or where his teammates are or where and when he ought to release the ball. Another good and recent prominent example was in the Seattle game when he collided with Jordan Hamilton, taking away a great scoring chance from Hamilton from a Giovinco through ball, when he didn't recognize that Hamilton was in the better position to take it (the polar opposite to what Hamilton did on the Morrow goal against Chicago). I mentioned this in another thread, but I think these issues are why we can see Giovinco frequently berating him on the pitch. Mind you, I'm not sure that Ricketts would be an upgrade in that regard (that was the point I was making in the other thread - I predict Ricketts will move into third place on the Giovinco-berating charts, just behind Delgado who's currently in 2nd) but the jury's still out for me on whether Endoh is better in that respect.

I should also add, that while Giovinco is very demonstrative on the pitch, don't under-estimate the Bradley-berato-meter either. I remember a game earlier in the year where he called for the ball from  Beitashour who chose not to play it to him, to which a carefully-placed microphone captured Bradley telling him "Steve! Fucking give it to me!" By not giving it to him, TFC promptly went down the field and had a glorious scoring chance which Johnson missed by inches.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I'm going to be bold and say Hamilton should be on the Canada squad over Babouli (and perhaps over Ricketts now that he's in club form and Ricketts isn't). Hamilton's instincts sometimes make me think he'd partner well with Hoilett and Arfield. Hamilton has also played CONCACAF games outside of Canada/USA and has a senior cap.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

One thing to keep in mind is the level we are accustomed to watching Ricketts, which is international. I think in MLS his movement and technical ability won't stand out as poor.

I think you're underestimating MLS. 

MLS is pretty fast in terms of how fast plays develop. I'm not sure if Ricketts have the footy IQ to put himself into the correct positions on plays.

59 minutes ago, canta15 said:

It depends. Babouli doesn't do defence while Ricketts does. Babouli has limited utility in Floro's system.

I'd like to see Babouli develop a little more and show more consistency before getting CMNT call ups though. 

32 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure about that last part of your sentence re: Endoh. I think the one of the biggest areas of improvement that he needs (something I find with a lot of players coming out of the US college system) is a lack of awareness of where he needs to be or where his teammates are or where and when he ought to release the ball. Another good and recent prominent example was in the Seattle game when he collided with Jordan Hamilton, taking away a great scoring chance from Hamilton from a Giovinco through ball, when he didn't recognize that Hamilton was in the better position to take it (the polar opposite to what Hamilton did on the Morrow goal against Chicago). I mentioned this in another thread, but I think these issues are why we can see Giovinco frequently berating him on the pitch. Mind you, I'm not sure that Ricketts would be an upgrade in that regard (that was the point I was making in the other thread - I predict Ricketts will move into third place on the Giovinco-berating charts, just behind Delgado who's currently in 2nd) but the jury's still out for me on whether Endoh is better in that respect.

I should also add, that while Giovinco is very demonstrative on the pitch, don't under-estimate the Bradley-berato-meter either. I remember a game earlier in the year where he called for the ball from  Beitashour who chose not to play it to him, to which a carefully-placed microphone captured Bradley telling him "Steve! Fucking give it to me!" By not giving it to him, TFC promptly went down the field and had a glorious scoring chance which Johnson missed by inches.

I agree that Endoh has a lot to learn still. I also think part of the problem is that he isn't communicating effectively.

But at least Endoh is getting to those spots where so many other players just don't. 

11 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Hamilton would not be a replacement for Ricketts. Floro has played with only one striker and Ricketts has played the right wing.

I wasn't thinking of Hamilton for Ricketts man-for-man. Ricketts I would replace with Aird if the plan is to use him on the wing. Aird isn't yet a great defender but now that he plays as one, it will be easier for him to naturally follow Floroball and get back and defend.

28 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Something new appeared. Might not be reliable

Calling BS on this. Who is this guy and why is this tweet credible? Meanwhile those who are actually around the club (Dunfield, Wheeler, Armstrong) are all expecting Ricketts to sign with TFC.

59 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Calling BS on this. Who is this guy and why is this tweet credible? Meanwhile those who are actually around the club (Dunfield, Wheeler, Armstrong) are all expecting Ricketts to sign with TFC.

There was this one too. No idea on its reliability. 

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I mean, how many clicks are they generating with a tweet about Ricketts? It seems too obscure to be complete BS

Archived