Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

• 1 month later...

I do wonder if there is something more going on behind the scenes (the Twitter convo with Laryea, etc…).  I wonder if Fikayo realized he wasn’t going to get a fair shot to make the England team and has maybe inquired about if there’s any chance of making a switch (even though I know there’s not).  I do find it weird that Southgate has left him out completely the last few windows.

Edited by Weng

Still baffling yes. he's still young, but this is as good as a cautionary tale of getting yourself cap-tied. Sure he's only 25, but he threw away a guaranteed starting spot at the WC2022 to wait for his turn with England. now he hopes to avoid any major injuries on his part to have a chance eventually in future. Jebbison better be paying attention

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 12:07 PM, Weng said:

I do wonder if there is something more going on behind the scenes (the Twitter convo with Laryea, etc…).  I wonder if Fikayo realized he wasn’t going to get a fair shot to make the England team and has maybe inquired about if there’s any chance of making a switch (even though I know there’s not).  I do find it weird that Southgate has left him out completely the last few windows.

Sorry to bump this thread again and I now many of you guys don’t want to hear any of it and that it’s over with, but what this comment said here is a good point it is weird that he hasn’t even gotten a call up in like 5 windows. There would be no reason for Tomori and Laryea to have any relationship outside of Canada so that comment is very intriguing, Fifa bends and changes their eligibility rules all the time if someone whos grandmother was born in a the country can play for a team somebody who was born in Canada and made 3 appearances for England but hasn’t played in 2 years should be eligible to play for us. I belive that if Canada wants it and Tomori wants it can happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I have zero hope or expectation that he'll play for Canada ever again, but I do think that there's a good argument for FIFA to ammend its dual national eligibility rules for players in Tomori's case. There will be 48 teams at the world cup, many teams- I'm thinking about African teams- have a Tomori or two that was cap tied by a big european country and then never played again. Having all of these guys sit at home while teams field these really poor teams is not good for anyone. I mean, we were technically the 31st best team at the world cup- if we couldn't pick up a single point, what is the 48th best team at the world cup going to look like?

On a way lower scale, but a country like the Philippines, that has a massive domestic market only needs to improve somewhat to qualify for 2026, and if they do, it'll be massive throughout the country. If you have players like Matthieu Choiniere sitting at home when they could be one of your better players if they were able to switch, wouldn't you let them?

I think keeping the 3 caps before 21 and a 3 year wait to switch, but moving the max age up to 30 would work. I don't think Tomori missing 5 straight call ups after just 3 appearances and then switching back to Canada is going to mess with the integrity of international soccer.

• 2 weeks later...

So uh I was doing some twitter lurking and saw that his most recent like on twitter is of Milan saying happy Canada Day, I would link the tweet but I honestly have no clue how to. Maybe I’m too desperate but he doesn’t like things that often and he never liked a post about England on April 23rd.

15 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

So uh I was doing some twitter lurking and saw that his most recent like on twitter is of Milan saying happy Canada Day, I would link the tweet but I honestly have no clue how to. Maybe I’m too desperate but he doesn’t like things that often and he never liked a post about England on April 23rd.

I agree - you're too desperate.   (You're not alone though... 😉)

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

While he was already gone this likely next cap pushes it past any point of return or pleading with fifa! 

About time Southgate called him. Maguire and no pope though. Just some really odd calls lol

It's a weird squad. Even without my biases which do actually have form to back them up (JWP and Bowen).

Phillips and Maguire have barely played if at all.  Sterling looks good again and he's now out after being trash before and being in. Henderson is in a middle Eastern retirement home.

None of those keepers are better than Pope at this point.

Broken clock and all that on the Tomori pick.