• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've really appreciated your work GDQ. In fact, it's been a very fun thing especially in the sense that the news has really trickled out at a glacial pace ... new designs were something to look forward to. Hearing the guys on Footy Soldiers reference your stuff was a neat highlight as well. 

Otoh, I don't see much need to despair, at least from a soccer standpoint. Compared to 2005 I like where we are and where we are going in soccer this country. 

oh fer fucks sake.  this is getting sappy now.  Sorry I snapped, totally uncalled for.  Can we delete the last 24 hrs of this thread.

What do you guys need me to do?  I'm on it.

You understand the general idea - supporters shirt for each city.  Let's come to a consensus on how we get r dun

I owe a few people a few beer and if I get a chance I will deliver.

22 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

oh fer fucks sake.  this is getting sappy now.  Sorry I snapped, totally uncalled for.  Can we delete the last 24 hrs of this thread.

You understand the general idea - supporters shirt for each city.  Let's come to a consensus on how we get r dun

You can help any supporter groups that come forward with their logos

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I really like @-Hammer-'s idea of the the central CanPL Supporters logo, then the team logo you created on one shoulder/sleeve and the Voyageurs logo on the other. I think it really ties in the message together, in that Supporters United is front and center, pays tribute to the foundation built by the Voyageurs community, while the team logo you created makes it personal for the particular supporters group. 

@admin, are sleeve patches feasible? I have no idea how difficult this type of thing is on your end

On 2016-11-25 at 2:08 PM, admin said:

Not sure we should put the fantasy CPL logo onto a real supporters group.

Correct.  We can fantasize all we like but if we start selling stuff with "fake" logos we are hurting, rather than helping.

15 hours ago, Alex D said:

...we wouldn't want to confuse people who don't lurk these boards. 

Exactly.

This is why we have intellectual property laws and I would rather not start supporting a league by forcing them to sue us.

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Love GuillermoDelQuarto's work. Tonnes of possibilities there. 

Totally great work and if he submits it to the league or the teams, and they use it ,great!

If they don't, well it was fun and a great display of his talent and he can use the experience for future projects.

In all serious @GuillermoDelQuarto, I've mentioned this to you before....some of your designs are great, some of them are bad, but the feedback you receive from these non-designers usually convolute your designs rather then simplify/finalize. Yes you are a Canadian designer, but there are bunches us of out here, who are soccer enthusiasts however they just haven't accessed these forums to do what you do. 

In my honest opinion (take it with a grain of salt), you need to take your album of designs and bring it to a forum like Sports Logos.net and utilize the feedback of actual designers, then you'll know the feasibility of your designs from actual people who are like you, and who work for sports companies - rather then hearing from Joe Shmoe the Landscaper or Tom Dick the Accountant.

..........www.dribbble.com is another good place.

We all need "YES" men in our corner, but not a team of them with no perspective or knowledge.

On 9/27/2016 at 1:59 AM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

2wxVbl8.jpg

Haven't seen an updated version of this map since September. At this point, the big gap I see is in St. John's. ;) Not sure if you ever intend to design a logo, but I think that something featuring Cabot Tower / Signal Hill would make sense for the city. It's a very distinct shape, and overlooks the whole city. 

Plus, the Eastern Conference needs some more teams. :D

6 hours ago, Copes said:

Haven't seen an updated version of this map since September. At this point, the big gap I see is in St. John's. ;) Not sure if you ever intend to design a logo, but I think that something featuring Cabot Tower / Signal Hill would make sense for the city. It's a very distinct shape, and overlooks the whole city. 

Plus, the Eastern Conference needs some more teams. :D

Actually, I was talking to my friend from the Maritimes and she mentioned signal hill as well, but as she isn't a soccer fan thats about how far the discussion got.  I'd love to take a shot at st.johns though.  

Things got a little carried away here earlier lol i think a distraction would be good.

Colours?  

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Actually, I was talking to my friend from the Maritimes and she mentioned signal hill as well, but as she isn't a soccer fan thats about how far the discussion got.  I'd love to take a shot at st.johns though.  

Things got a little carried away here earlier lol i think a distraction would be good.

Colours?  

There's a few routes to go symbolically on this one, but I'd recommend Red, White, Green and Blue as colours that could represent the city pretty well.

Blue is obvious as it's a major port town and much like the rest of Newfoundland life in the city has always primarily revolved around the sea.

Red and White (and Pink) are colours commonly associated with St. John's as it is frequently linked with the Tudor dynasty since it was founded in 1497, during the reign of the first Tudor monarch Henry VII and received its charter in 1583, during the reign of the last Tudor monarch, Elizabeth I. Obviously its original population was predominantly English as well and there's always been a very large English population in the city, despite its Irish roots often being more emphasized. That said Green is also very good because it is definitely a very Irish city nonetheless.

You could also cheat and go just with the colours pink, white and green which are the colours of the Newfoundland Tricolour, an unofficial flag that symbolizes the entire island, with pink for the Tudor rose of England, white for peace and prosperity, and green for Ireland, but that wouldn't be symbolic of just St. John's.

As for the actual content of the crest, Cabot Tower (or a silouette of it) would be a fine choice since it's easily the most recognisable landmark in the city. A cannon could also be a good one for a related reason, since St. John's was a very militarised city for hundreds of years and has plenty of fortifications. I can't really think of much in the way of other alternatives to be honest. It might be tempting to use religious imagery (as seen in the city's crest) since the city is obviously named after one of the most important saints in Christianity, but it would probably be wise to avoid that since we're talking about a new, modern club.

Edit: Integrating a shamrock and a Tudor rose into the crest might be a good idea too

21 minutes ago, Zem said:

There's a few routes to go symbolically on this one, but I'd recommend Red, White, Green and Blue as colours that could represent the city pretty well.

Blue is obvious as it's a major port town and much like the rest of Newfoundland life in the city has always primarily revolved around the sea.

Red and White (and Pink) are colours commonly associated with St. John's as it is frequently linked with the Tudor dynasty since it was founded in 1497, during the reign of the first Tudor monarch Henry VII and received its charter in 1583, during the reign of the last Tudor monarch, Elizabeth I. Obviously its original population was predominantly English as well and there's always been a very large English population in the city, despite its Irish roots often being more emphasized. That said Green is also very good because it is definitely a very Irish city nonetheless.

You could also cheat and go just with the colours pink, white and green which are the colours of the Newfoundland Tricolour, an unofficial flag that symbolizes the entire island, with pink for the Tudor rose of England, white for peace and prosperity, and green for Ireland, but that wouldn't be symbolic of just St. John's.

As for the actual content of the crest, Cabot Tower (or a silouette of it) would be a fine choice since it's easily the most recognisable landmark in the city. A cannon could also be a good one for a related reason, since St. John's was a very militarised city for hundreds of years and has plenty of fortifications. I can't really think of much in the way of other alternatives to be honest. It might be tempting to use religious imagery (as seen in the city's crest) since the city is obviously named after one of the most important saints in Christianity, but it would probably be wise to avoid that since we're talking about a new, modern club.

Edit: Integrating a shamrock and a Tudor rose into the crest might be a good idea too

All phenomenal suggestions. The flag of the Newfoundland Republic is White, Green and Pink. A lot of locals have a very strong tie to that flag, so that might be an option.

This isn't as based in history, but I've always associated "Grey" with St. John's, and have always thought that a Grey kit which incorporated the Newfoundland Republic flag colours could be pretty catchy. Think the TFC Onyx kit from a few years ago. To me, the Grey represents the fog that regularly envelops the city, and so distinctly rolls through the narrows and into the harbour and surrounds Signal Hill. I've gone so far as to name a lot of my fantasy teams "St. John's Fog". Haha. But that's just me and what I'd like to see, I don't know if as many people would relate to that sort of thing. 

Still, grey and pink seems so sexy to me. And very unique. Which, at its core, is what Newfoundland and Labrador is. Incredibly unique.

44 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I've got one idea that includes a colour scheme and if no one likes it i'll start taking a crack at some of these.

Lots of stuff to work with now.  thanks guys, I'll be back soon-ish

Looking forward to it! If you have any questions or want links to anything let me know, I'm not a native Newfoundlander but I've been here for quite a few years and might be able to help.

okay, so first draft is always shit, so be nice lol

before you judge, at least read my explanation of the choices

Colours - blue and red have been beaten to death already, hence my avoidance of those two - @Copes mentioned that it would be nice to have a unique colour scheme and I agree.  His idea was grey and pink(which can still be explored if people like that)  This is the last two standard colours that haven't been combined in my series yet - green and orange(with white trim that I switched to a light grey based on the fog idea, which is awesome IMO).  Regardless of the final outcome, I think a grey kit is an excellent idea and will put my vote in for that.

Symbol choices - if you missed the last week or so on this thread, there was a debate and subsequent meltdown essentially revolving around the idea of "big tent" thinking.  After a copious helping of chill pills, I reluctantly agreed that it would be better to do things that keep the tent as large as possible.  The reason I say this, is because I would like to avoid, as much as possible, references to ethnic identity.  Going forward, I'm hoping that each each of these acknowledges a shared past and hopefully a shared future - as much as I like the tudor rose and shamrock, I'm not sure referencing exclusive ethnic identity is the best idea.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of my other concepts generally stay away from this type of thing(moncton might be debatable)

So firstly, which would be my number one and two votes for symbols - cabot tower + signal hill - I think we can at least all agree these should be included.  Included the best silhouette i found, but if someone thinks it should be from a different angle let me know and that shouldn't be a problem.  In terms of signal hill, I thought it would be cool to have sort of like a wifi signal that also kind of underlined "St. Johns", but if it's a little too wifi-y, we can see if we can convey that idea in some other way.

Lastly - the buoy(the reason orange is the third colour) - feel like people won't like this part but let me at least try and justify it.  Firstly, just from a design perspective, it outlines everything neatly and provides a unique crest shape(i mean the shape isn't unique so much but u know what I mean).  It's also a way of acknowledging the sea aspect of the crest without using blue(explained earlier why I'd like to avoid this).  And lastly and perhaps most importantly, with the fog and the history of the city(arguably the first place that had european visitors - the vikings) the concept of a lifeline seems fairly relevant.  Like fuck, can you imagine crossing the atlantic ocean and the jubilation you would feel upon spotting land?  And just generally the feeling that quite a few people probably have at seeing a lifeline/buoy after navigating a horrendous storm that they thought might have taken their life.  It's a potentially powerful symbol.  "Newfoundland/St. Johns - the lifeline in the fog"

haha anyways probably shit but hopefully some of it is salvageable(no pun intended ;) ).

@Zem

Ay9Xde4.png

Archived