11 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

If you're feeling bored, I'd love for you to have a stab at my old hometown of Newmarket, Ontario.  At about 80,000 people, hoping for a decent L1O team is the biggest dream I can get for the place soccer-wise.

Current rep soccer teams are branded under their Newmarket United crest:

Newmarket-Soccer-Club_11048_image.jpg

And jerseys whose design becomes fairly expected after seeing the crest:

0705Soccer013___Content.jpg

The only notable sports team in town is hockey's junior A team: the Newmarket Hurricanes

zmpbig81bm9dr4gak9dnezkl6.png

which used to be known as the Newmarket 87's

Newmarket87s1F.JPG

and at one time, also was home to the Leafs' farm team; the Newmarket Saints

Newmarket_Saints.gif

Since it's a stubborn suburban town that's deluded itself into thinking it's progressive, we like to talk about those teams more than the youth hockey branding: the Newmarket Redmen

81HXceXC.jpg

The town recently changed its logo to a green & blue arch

town-of-newmarket-new_logo_large.jpg

which drew its inspiration from an archway that's part of the hospital in town

Southlake-Regional-Health-Centre-buildin

Since we're an exciting people, we also recently changed our town motto to the hopelessly bureaucratic "Well beyond the ordinary"

Of course, this all replaces our centuries-old motto as "the hive of industry" and its corresponding logo:

NewmarketONCoA.gif

As an example of our folksy stubbornness, the town is where William Lyon Mackenzie kickstarted his march on Toronto during the Rebellions of 1837, which naturally ended when our brave townsfolk heard gunshots from the Toronto Constabulary aligned against them and decided that going back home and leaving Mackenzie to his fate was a much more sensible option.

Also apparently we used to siphon electricity from the streetcar line that used to run up Yonge Street until the 1950s, mainly because we had no intention of paying for it ourselves.

Christ, that arch thing is the visual version of fingernails on a chalkboard.  The old crest is really nice.  If the city isn't using it anymore, just remove "town of" and add "fc" after the word Newmarket.  That thing's really nice.

Here's what the clever people of Vancouver have done.  

The coat of arms of Vancouver: 

Unknown.jpeg

That's still officially the coat of arms, but the city just suddenly stopped using it.  Rather than replace the coat of arms and face the three or four people in Vancouver who still care about their city, they paid some three-year-old to come up with a logo instead, and they use this unimaginative piece of crap everywhere:

Unknown.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Christ, that arch thing is the visual version of fingernails on a chalkboard.  The old crest is really nice.  If the city isn't using it anymore, just remove "town of" and add "fc" after the word Newmarket.  That thing's really nice.

Here's what the clever people of Vancouver have done.  

The coat of arms of Vancouver: 

Unknown.jpeg

That's still officially the coat of arms, but the city just suddenly stopped using it.  Rather than replace the coat of arms and face the three or four people in Vancouver who still care about their city, they paid some three-year-old to come up with a logo instead, and they use this unimaginative piece of crap everywhere:

Unknown.png

such a shame.

there are some really nice coat of arms out there that are a little cartoonish and all they really need is a little simplifying.  same goes for city flags.

but yea that one looks like a logo for a wellness studio lol

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

there, fairly certain this is the best version yet.

CL2H6UU.png

chains need some tidying, but i think these ones look better than the old ones.

I'm fairly certain you're right. 

I've designed a few things myself (t shirts, flags, etc), but I have almost no computer skills.  If I did, I'd join in and ease the burden.  Sorry, but we're all counting on you.

11 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

such a shame.

there are some really nice coat of arms out there that are a little cartoonish and all they really need is a little simplifying.  same goes for city flags.

but yea that one looks like a logo for a wellness studio lol

How's this for a horrible flag.  The first time I saw it, I thought someone playing up the stereotypes and having a laugh at the expense of the good citizens of Calgary, but it's real, apparently.

Unknown.png

As for your comment about the Vancouver logo, you should see some of the houses they build here.

11 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

How's this for a horrible flag.  The first time I saw it, I thought someone playing up the stereotypes and having a laugh at the expense of the good citizens of Calgary, but it's real, apparently.

Unknown.png

As for your comment about the Vancouver logo, you should see some of the houses they build here.

wow, really?  I've seen a few logos for soccer teams in calgary with the same theme and wondered why, so that explains it.

yea it's a little to literal for my liking.

not too sure what you meant by the houses thing

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

bdhGT4R.png

Was definitely thinking of an oak for our symbolism. Not a lot of other icons you would actually want on an emblem.  I would maybe drop the red/white backdrop colours and just go with that is inside the largest circle.  Would prob need some dressing up at that point.

5 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

wow, really?  I've seen a few logos for soccer teams in calgary with the same theme and wondered why, so that explains it.

yea it's a little to literal for my liking.

not too sure what you meant by the houses thing

All it needs is the words "Yee Haw" in chunky cowboy writing.

This is what I mean by houses in Vancouver looking like law offices or dental clinics.  The white box on the right is also a house.  The porta-loo in front is the nicest-looking thing in this photo.

images.jpeg

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Was definitely thinking of an oak for our symbolism. Not a lot of other icons you would actually want on an emblem.  I would maybe drop the red/white backdrop colours and just go with that is inside the largest circle.  Would prob need some dressing up at that point.

was trying to evoke the PEI flag as much as I could, its a really nice flag IMO

prince-edward-island-hi.jpg

the red and white sort of checker-y thingys around the outside were unique, I thought.  although with the badge being circular it does tend to look like a poker chip haha

maybe a different crest shape would be better.  glad to hear u like the oak.

I read that on this flag the one oak is meant to symbolize England, while the 3 are meant to symbolize the 3 counties of PEI.  the idea of "as one oak" is sort of like - you know how sometimes a few trees will grow side by side and technically it looks like 3 separate trees, but in reality it's all part of the same root system?  In my mind it's like, okay really, those three trees were one oak the entire time, and now that it's "grown up" it's time we recognize that.  Also I would change this flag to be just one oak that symbolizes PEI, and ditch the historic symbolism of looking back on England, but that's kind of a pet peeve of mine and sort of off topic.

does that make any sense? lol

5 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

I haven't read everything so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but what about stickers? Eye-catching ultra style stickers could be a cool way to advertise the league/team/supporter groups. I would gladly put up a bunch of CPL stickers around Montreal. 

Examples: 

clapton-football-club-by-Oliver-Woodbridge.jpg

7a45afa9b4766cb0f87bd9da5ec39537.jpg

I'm sure its been mentioned in passing.

I've put a few on redbubble, but as we decide on stuff further I'm sure that'll be part of the plan.

there should be some Hamilton stickers around already(well BSB ones anyways)

let me know if you want me to put some up to be made into stickers though, shouldn't be a problem.

On 13/12/2016 at 0:13 AM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

different crest shape for PEI

I dunno I don't normally pat myself on the back but I am really happy with this.

VWw03f8.png

anyone else have feelings re: the border-y thingy?

I just really like using existing patterns and such if I can.  its a unique element

How about with the FC below the tree?  I love the shape with the border doohickeys.

Looks good!  

I'd make the grey border a uniform width on the two sides of the shield, and bit thinner than the thinnest part of it now. And maybe a few more rivets. I like the chains joining the hammers. Hamilton may be a bit small when it's on a shirt or hat, try moving it above the shield and bigger.

Archived