• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the best of my knowledge, although the unofficial flag is green, white and pink, Newfoundland teams play in maroon and white.  So, in other words, the crest would look nice in green, pink and white, and when Guillermo gets around to doing the kits for each team (which should come before he starts the stadia), the St. John's team could play in maroon and white stripes.

19 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

To the best of my knowledge, although the unofficial flag is green, white and pink, Newfoundland teams play in maroon and white.  So, in other words, the crest would look nice in green, pink and white, and when Guillermo gets around to doing the kits for each team (which should come before he starts the stadia), the St. John's team could play in maroon and white stripes.

hmm.  makes sense, but is it newfoundland or st. johns?  not necessarily the same thing, although i get your point.

Any one else have any ideas?

9 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

not terrible i guess, but still prefer the orange

kgRZ4fJ.png

I prefer the orange as well I think, this pink is a little too wild. That said, I like what you've done with the hill / tower/ signal.

I wonder, can we increase the size of the tower a bit? There seems to be a lot of empty green in the middle.

I'd say if it's gonna be the pink then we should go back to white instead of grey.  it'll look better.

I'm gonna try one without the lifesaver in a bit.  taking a bit of a left turn for now.

added the cowboy to this calgary concept from earlier.  think it's an improvement, slightly more "calgary"

I was thinking a good nickname for them could be the "foothillbillies" hehe

gSU0Z2a.png

if we're going for big tent thinking, the colour of calgary is clearly red, but I think it's important to pay homage to footsoldiers SG at the same time.

also, have an idea for London - not sure how good it is, but thought i'd at least check and see what people thought.

We basically already determined that something around "Forest City" would be ideal.  

I was out hiking with my biologist buddy this summer and he's kind of a tree guy, so I was picking his brain for information on local trees etc etc, and we ended up talking about black spruce.

Black spruce is fucking badass.  It basically grows in less than ideal conditions, all across the country.  No, it isn't specific to London, in fact it's pretty widespread.

the symbolism goes like this - Londoners, although not overly well known - are everywhere.  A few of them.  It's not a massive city, but I feel like theres the odd londoner scattered all across the country.  They're crafty, and maybe not the most noticable, but they'll get by just about anywhere and under less than ideal conditions.  People might say London isn't the ideal market for soccer... but thats just how the black spruce like it.  Put us in a place that no one else thinks we'll succeed and we'll thrive.  We are the black spruce. :P

Plus they just look badass and I think i could make something really cool out of it, can't seem to find a picture of a gnarly one but next time i'm out hiking i'll see if I can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picea_mariana

basically they tend to grow in bogs and such 

bsprucepeatsys.jpg

On 29/11/2016 at 10:01 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

hmm.  makes sense, but is it newfoundland or st. johns?  not necessarily the same thing, although i get your point.

Any one else have any ideas?

That's Newfoundland, but if the unofficial flag of Newfoundland is being considered for colours, I should think the colour the province's teams play in should be.

Just want to come back to this one, hopefully briefly.

Changed the lion to the kingfisher, for what I think are fairly obvious reasons:

Obvious maritime/fishing/port city history, as I was saying before, think it's important to try and reference more recent history as opposed to going way back to colonial roots, as much as possible.

Also leaves us open to using the nickname "bluenoses" which has the triple meaning(patting myself/anyone who mentioned this earlier on the back) of the obvious famous bluenose ship, plus the picture of being sort of rough n tumble maritimers(aka their nose is blue from being punched in the nose) as well as tying in well with the kingfisher(his nose is blue because it's dipped into the water fishing).

that... and it leaves the door open to using more stan rogers in any marketing campaign lol

mX6Xs3T.png

I think the kingfisher could use a little cleaning up, but I think it's better than the lion overall.

not to mention I think there is a current halifax club that uses the kingfisher in their crest, so homage where it is due(kinda like the foothills thing)

422177_261400510596423_204905326245942_5

still kinda sitting on St. Johns.  Got a few ideas but been busy the last few days here.

On 2016-11-29 at 10:06 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Pretty happy with how this is turning out, but i'll see if there is any way to incorporate the pink.

EJCqUh6.png

edit:could probably add a little detail to cabot tower, but I don't wanna overcomplicate it either

still working on one with pink, but nothing work sharing so far.

I think the orange is a lot better too, the border area seems great on this one; it's just the centre area that's a bit bare (also you missed the apostrophe in St. John's).

Really like the Halifax logo with the King Fisher. Really nice jersey options too, with the Gold/Blue/White combo. Needs to be primarily Gold / White with Blue accents I think, since everything in soccer seems to be either blue or red. 

St. John's logo, I stand by my earlier post and agree with @Zem. The outside ring and how it related to a life preserver is perfect. The colours seem spot on. The biggest failing is the centre, not because of anything wrong with the image but because it is too small. Less hill, less sky, more tower. Zoom right in. And maybe could you add a pattern in the centre? Maybe checkered or stripes of grey or something, to add a bit more detail but to kind of suggest the grey "fog" imposing itself on Signal Hill (which happens all the time, fog rolls off the water and the hill is the first thing that gets encompassed). 

Think of the Columbus Crew logo and the detail they have in the centre circle (although maybe try one of the other patterns, not both like they have). 

CLB Crew.png

1 hour ago, Copes said:

Really like the Halifax logo with the King Fisher. Really nice jersey options too, with the Gold/Blue/White combo. Needs to be primarily Gold / White with Blue accents I think, since everything in soccer seems to be either blue or red. 

St. John's logo, I stand by my earlier post and agree with @Zem. The outside ring and how it related to a life preserver is perfect. The colours seem spot on. The biggest failing is the centre, not because of anything wrong with the image but because it is too small. Less hill, less sky, more tower. Zoom right in. And maybe could you add a pattern in the centre? Maybe checkered or stripes of grey or something, to add a bit more detail but to kind of suggest the grey "fog" imposing itself on Signal Hill (which happens all the time, fog rolls off the water and the hill is the first thing that gets encompassed). 

Think of the Columbus Crew logo and the detail they have in the centre circle (although maybe try one of the other patterns, not both like they have). 

CLB Crew.png

I really hate how much I love Columbus' logo

I think it is a really neat thing to to build off of. For the record, there are regional tartans for most provinces (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_tartans_of_Canada#Nova_Scotia). Most are too complex to look good in the center of a circular shield like Columbus' logo, but some could work.

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM, SuperCanuck said:

Those are the two semi finals.  It'll be strange if Dildo and Come By Chance both win, because it would seem odd to Come By Chance if there's a dildo involved.

Sorry I'm a late Comer. 

Better hope Dildo beats out love to reach the final. Final will likely just be held in Big Beaver (sk). 

Regardless of whether its come by chance or climax if its love involved the winners will lift a new trophy following the final played 9 months later in pain court (ON).

I can work with this.  Unfortunately the tartan doesn't exactly match up color wise, but I get the feeling we've kinda just got to pick a colour scheme and roll with it.  There just isn't quite enough uniformity within all the different elements to pick one that will be perfect.  still gonna try and see if I can make the pink work but otherwise possibly a subtle pattern that uses something like the tartan in the background.  Might be overcomplicating it though, we'll see.

another update.  used a different cabot tower, from a stamp I found that looks cool.

jvfzhH2.png

pretty sure I could add slightly more detail to the tower, not sure about the flag, it was a union jack on the stamp, switched it to NL flag(albeit in this colour scheme) - might be a bit too much detail overall.

wasn't really sure what to do with "the signal" - doesn't seem completely out of place, but a little awkward I know

I know theres lots wrong with it but thought i'd update for those interested anyways.

heres the stamp:

Cabot_tower_stamp.jpg

fairly certain it makes sense to use this angle as some people should recognize the stamp.

5 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

another update.  used a different cabot tower, from a stamp I found that looks cool.

jvfzhH2.png

pretty sure I could add slightly more detail to the tower, not sure about the flag, it was a union jack on the stamp, switched it to NL flag(albeit in this colour scheme) - might be a bit too much detail overall.

wasn't really sure what to do with "the signal" - doesn't seem completely out of place, but a little awkward I know

I know theres lots wrong with it but thought i'd update for those interested anyways.

heres the stamp:

Cabot_tower_stamp.jpg

fairly certain it makes sense to use this angle as some people should recognize the stamp.

That angle seems to work a lot better, I think it would look best without the signal though. The Newfoundland Tricolour might be good as the flag since it's a lot simpler than the provincial flag.

13 minutes ago, Zem said:

That angle seems to work a lot better, I think it would look best without the signal though. The Newfoundland Tricolour might be good as the flag since it's a lot simpler than the provincial flag.

ahh yeah probably.  I suppose the signal could be used somewhere else.  Perhaps part of a secondary that goes on the back collar or something.

15 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

ahh yeah probably.  I suppose the signal could be used somewhere else.  Perhaps part of a secondary that goes on the back collar or something.

You cold put the signal sign on both side of the circle (in the withe part). Similar to what Melbourne City FC did with the Heart in their new logo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_City_FC

Archived