4 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

haha

well maybe it should be gateway to the east.  But winnipeg is gateway to the west.

think it'd be cool to have a gateway derby haha

Now I'm torn.  I like your Gateway Derby, but that means I don't get to come up with different little slogans for Thunder Bay like:

"In the Middle of Nowhere Since 1683"

"You Have to Stop off for Sandwiches and the Loo in Thunder Bay Before You Reach Winnipeg"

"We Have a New Timmy's"

"We Would Like to Disassociate Ourselves From Paul Shaffer"

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Now I'm torn.  I like your Gateway Derby, but that means I don't get to come up with different little slogans for Thunder Bay like:

"In the Middle of Nowhere Since 1683"

"You Have to Stop off for Sandwiches and the Loo in Thunder Bay Before You Reach Winnipeg"

"We Have a New Timmy's"

"We Would Like to Disassociate Ourselves From Paul Shaffer"

hahaha well that's kinda the point of this.  Make every city in the country seem like it's a really cool place.  Even if in reality thats a bold faced lie hahaha. 

I've never been so I have no clue.

edit: also, if you say you're a winnipeg fan in the gateway derby, these slogans are still appropriate :D

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Also, probably time we did Charlottetown.

Anyone got ideas?

and fredericton

and labrador city

Charlottetown:  A picture of a potato with the slogan "Dulcis Potatoes Sunt Nobis"  (Latin for "We got lovely potatoes.") or a common island expression:  "Dis, dat and d'oder ting"  

OR, you could go the serious route, something I'm not very good at, and use Province House (where four out of five provinces decided to become a country, the only exception being the hosts).  The colours should be green and brick red, which you'll see all over the island.

Fredericton:  You could use the ship from Canada's coolest flag.

Unknown.png

38 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

Charlottetown:  A picture of a potato with the slogan "Dulcis Potatoes Sunt Nobis"  (Latin for "We got lovely potatoes.") or a common island expression:  "Dis, dat and d'oder ting"  

OR, you could go the serious route, something I'm not very good at, and use Province House (where four out of five provinces decided to become a country, the only exception being the hosts).  The colours should be green and brick red, which you'll see all over the island.

Fredericton:  You could use the ship from Canada's coolest flag.

Unknown.png

For the record, "dis, dat, or d'oter ting" is not a common expression.  I have only heard it as an east coast caricature. Not offended or anything, just setting the record straight.  

"how ya makin er bye" thats one that i'm pretty sure is legit

also, just experimenting with Quebec city a little

old version for reference:

tvzdL7m.png

new version:

RruCDFQ.png

cleaned up the towers a little, and add a bit more red(trying to pretty blatantly evoke the nordiques)

heres a version without the added trim on the sides, might be better but just felt like it looked a little empty.  not sure.

dKTdCLn.png

feedback would be great :D

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Jesus, you guys need to get out of the wharf when you are here (assuming you have actually spent time here).

And for the record, no, "how ya makin er bye" is not a common saying.  At least not among those who managed to get past grade 8.

haha this was from a reliable source though!

a real live Nova scotian

On 12/7/2016 at 11:42 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

alright just throwing it out there.  I'll literally do any town if we can come up with a good idea for it.

If you're feeling bored, I'd love for you to have a stab at my old hometown of Newmarket, Ontario.  At about 80,000 people, hoping for a decent L1O team is the biggest dream I can get for the place soccer-wise.

Current rep soccer teams are branded under their Newmarket United crest:

Newmarket-Soccer-Club_11048_image.jpg

And jerseys whose design becomes fairly expected after seeing the crest:

0705Soccer013___Content.jpg

The only notable sports team in town is hockey's junior A team: the Newmarket Hurricanes

zmpbig81bm9dr4gak9dnezkl6.png

which used to be known as the Newmarket 87's

Newmarket87s1F.JPG

and at one time, also was home to the Leafs' farm team; the Newmarket Saints

Newmarket_Saints.gif

Since it's a stubborn suburban town that's deluded itself into thinking it's progressive, we like to talk about those teams more than the youth hockey branding: the Newmarket Redmen

81HXceXC.jpg

The town recently changed its logo to a green & blue arch

town-of-newmarket-new_logo_large.jpg

which drew its inspiration from an archway that's part of the hospital in town

Southlake-Regional-Health-Centre-buildin

Since we're an exciting people, we also recently changed our town motto to the hopelessly bureaucratic "Well beyond the ordinary"

Of course, this all replaces our centuries-old motto as "the hive of industry" and its corresponding logo:

NewmarketONCoA.gif

As an example of our folksy stubbornness, the town is where William Lyon Mackenzie kickstarted his march on Toronto during the Rebellions of 1837, which naturally ended when our brave townsfolk heard gunshots from the Toronto Constabulary aligned against them and decided that going back home and leaving Mackenzie to his fate was a much more sensible option.

Also apparently we used to siphon electricity from the streetcar line that used to run up Yonge Street until the 1950s, mainly because we had no intention of paying for it ourselves.

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

If you're feeling bored, I'd love for you to have a stab at my old hometown of Newmarket, Ontario.  At about 80,000 people, hoping for a decent L1O team is the biggest dream I can get for the place soccer-wise.

Current rep soccer teams are branded under their Newmarket United crest:

Newmarket-Soccer-Club_11048_image.jpg

And jerseys whose design becomes fairly expected after seeing the crest:

0705Soccer013___Content.jpg

The only notable sports team in town is hockey's junior A team: the Newmarket Hurricanes

zmpbig81bm9dr4gak9dnezkl6.png

which used to be known as the Newmarket 87's

Newmarket87s1F.JPG

and at one time, also was home to the Leafs' farm team; the Newmarket Saints

Newmarket_Saints.gif

Since it's a stubborn suburban town that's deluded itself into thinking it's progressive, we like to talk about those teams more than the youth hockey branding: the Newmarket Redmen

81HXceXC.jpg

The town recently changed its logo to a green & blue arch

town-of-newmarket-new_logo_large.jpg

which drew its inspiration from an archway that's part of the hospital in town

Southlake-Regional-Health-Centre-buildin

Since we're an exciting people, we also recently changed our town motto to the hopelessly bureaucratic "Well beyond the ordinary"

Of course, this all replaces our centuries-old motto as "the hive of industry" and its corresponding logo:

NewmarketONCoA.gif

As an example of our folksy stubbornness, the town is where William Lyon Mackenzie kickstarted his march on Toronto during the Rebellions of 1837, which naturally ended when our brave townsfolk heard gunshots from the Toronto Constabulary aligned against them and decided that going back home and leaving Mackenzie to his fate was a much more sensible option.

Also apparently we used to siphon electricity from the streetcar line that used to run up Yonge Street until the 1950s, mainly because we had no intention of paying for it ourselves.

haha something to do with the beehive?  

Their current on isn't too bad, although I think I would ditch the gradients and spelling out newmarket on the top.

just having NU on the red and purple stripes might not be the worst and the simplicity reminds me a bit of the napoli logo.

Archived