Canadian Premier League

ted

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I think this has come up before.  But regarding the potential for pro/rel at some point down the road, I've been thinking about it.

What about something like this.

The original 8-10 franchises are locked in for the foreseeable future(30 years)

After these 8-10 are more or less established, teams enter either PLSQ(probably include maritime clubs in here), L1O, or a hopefully soon to be launched D2 in the west(Sask and west - manitoba seems like they would fit better in L1O almost)

The champions of PLSQ,L1O and L1W and maybe the highest 2nd place team across the three leagues(assuming even number of games, etc, otherwise you could go with points % or maybe do a round robin, but wouldn't be ideal) do a knockout round and the champion of that is promoted to CPL(the first year it's implemented)

The next year, same thing, if the previously promoted team finishes in the bottom half of CPL, they must playoff against the champion from the L1s to keep or lose their spot in CPL.  

If the previously promoted team finishes in the top half of CPL, there is no opportunity for promotion, and the window is said to be closed for the L1 teams for that year.

The travel is obviously a huge hinderance for the L1 teams moving up to CPL, so some of this may have to be supplemented by the CPL teams through revenue sharing.  PROMOTED L1 teams only can purchase a permanent spot in CPL once they are financially viable(pay expansion fee to help league grow).  If the league ever gets to say 15-20 teams that have bought in, institute pro/rel.  The original 15-20 are given a parachute fund should they be relegated, but still must play their way back in. 

It's not a perfect solution, but it's the most feasible one I can think of that allows for upward mobility but also insulates the founding clubs that the league is financially based upon.

Thoughts?

@Complete Homer @matty @BringBackTheBlizzard @Rheo @Ansem

Please stop with the pro/rel talk...it is truly ridonkulous.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

My god, how are we on a pro/rel debate again?

There's much better things to talk about.  Like how the CSA would formally approve the CPL before you have to face Monday again.

Bracing for radio silence for an uncomfortably long period after 

31 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Bracing for radio silence for an uncomfortably long period after 

If we come out of this talking about some CSA AGM in September and how they were intentionally waiting so this new league could be clearly associated with the CSA's new president instead of Montagliani, please shoot me.

Since I was tagged, I have no real opinion on pro/rel.  I'm not against it but I don't get the raging hard on for it that others do.  No offence, I get the romanticism of the idea but I question it's validity in the North American sporting world.  I'm more than fine with the MLS model that it looks like they're going with.  

16 hours ago, Rheo said:

It's a matter of semantics.  CPL will be division 1 in Canada.  MLS will be division 1 in US with Canadian teams.  Realistically the level of play will be well below the MLS (presently) at launch and for the forseeable future.  But it will still be division 1 soccer.

Support you on the thought that Division 1 status will be given to CPL investors as Major League Soccer will unload MLS Canada in year 3 of the CPL according to CPL Business plan outline. 

With the united States, mexico and Canada all having a Professional soccer League it makes soccer on this side of the World a massive trading partners with player movements throughout North America to improve each League Talent wise and financially.  

Its all in the plan only the Canadian Soccer Association are holding this idea back, everyone else is with it!!! 

10 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

If we come out of this talking about some CSA AGM in September and how they were intentionally waiting so this new league could be clearly associated with the CSA's new president instead of Montagliani, please shoot me.

Probability that there is a small release of info but not a complete league announcement? I'm going to say very high for two reasons:

1) An announcement during hockey playoffs is a poor idea. 

2) If a team from another league (like Ottawa for example) is making the jump, there will very likely be complicating factors as to when they can announce. 

And hey, it's Canada 150. It would make sense for a league announcement to tie in with that somehow. 

Inevitably this will make many forum regular's heads explode while others will spin it to show how it means they were right all along. Elsewhere, no one will notice. 

1 minute ago, Futballer said:

Support you on the thought that Division 1 status will be given to CPL investors as Major League Soccer will unload MLS Canada in year 3 of the CPL according to CPL Business plan outline. 

With the united States, mexico and Canada all having a Professional soccer League it makes soccer on this side of the World a massive trading partners with player movements throughout North America to improve each League Talent wise and financially.  

Its all in the plan only the Canadian Soccer Association are holding this idea back, everyone else is with it!!! 

Please give me the name of your dealer...that is some good shit you're smoking.

5 minutes ago, Futballer said:

What does this mean?

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

What does this mean?

All three MLS canada team to CPL in Year 3 of operation regardless of their contract with MLS its inevitable, take a good look at MLS Expansion and you will see what i see! 

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, we are debating pro-rel, whether or not CPL will be D1 or D2, etc.  Good to see the last 200 pages of this thread have helped us resolve things.

I only mentioned pro/rel because I got tagged.  I really have no interest in discussing it at length lol.

11 minutes ago, Futballer said:

All three MLS canada team to CPL in Year 3 of operation regardless of their contract with MLS its inevitable, take a good look at MLS Expansion and you will see what i see! 

Ummmmmm can't see that happening ever.  The owners have too much money invested in MLS and would never go for it.  Further I don't want it to happen personally.  I like MLS and CPL both existing in the Canadian soccer world.  

52 minutes ago, Futballer said:

I expected to see more pro/rel yelling which is annoying. Thank you for this laugh

On 2017-05-02 at 6:01 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed but they removed "Amway" from the Canadian Championships title.

Now just to get them to start calling it "The Voyageurs Cup" like adults.

The reality is we need sponsors. An adult sucks it up, accepts that the competition need a title sponsor and then uses, "Voyageurs Cup" but doesn't whine when media mention the sponsorship.

21 hours ago, matty said:

I woundn't call Halifax a secondary market in Canada as it's a top tier media market on the east coast...

OK, that's like saying Nanaimo is a top tier media market on Vancouver Island, or Kópavogur is a top tier market in Iceland. There is a huge gulf between Tor/Van/Mtl and every other market in Canada.

I think Halifax is important to the new league and a great market, but let's not make ridiculous statements.

20 hours ago, Ansem said:

Finally, it's a smart move to launch with 6. The term "Original Six" has a very powerful Canadian meaning...

I think it's a stupid move. It does have, "a very powerful Canadian meaning" that is not in any way helpful. It brings up a comparison with the NHL that the CanPL cannot profit by and what kind of marketing makes people think of an entirely different sport? It also highlights a number of teams that looks amateurish and pathetic in 2018 and begs the question, "how can you have a real league with only six teams?"

Of course, if they only have six to start they will use it anyway so...<shrug>

12 minutes ago, ted said:

OK, that's like saying Nanaimo is a top tier media market on Vancouver Island, or Kópavogur is a top tier market in Iceland. There is a huge gulf between Tor/Van/Mtl and every other market in Canada.

I think Halifax is important to the new league and a great market, but let's nbot make ridiculous statements

Comparing Nanaimo to Halifax makes zero sense. Vancouver island isn't a region it's a subregion in BC where Vancouver is a mega market. Halifax has legit claim to being the top market in a million plus region.

While there is a difference between tor-van-mlt and other large Canadian cities, people need to remember to look at this from a Canadian media perspective. Cities like Halifax which are nothing in the eyes of most US based leagues become markets of great interest and a major Canadian market.

People need to start actually thinking about what is a market and not a market is a city.

17 minutes ago, ted said:

I think it's a stupid move. It does have, "a very powerful Canadian meaning" that is not in any way helpful. It brings up a comparison with the NHL that the CanPL cannot profit by and what kind of marketing makes people think of an entirely different sport? It also highlights a number of teams that looks amateurish and pathetic in 2018 and begs the question, "how can you have a real league with only six teams?"

Of course, if they only have six to start they will use it anyway so...<shrug>

It's a shorten season right after a world cup. If it was in 2020 with only 6 teams, I'd agree with you. People will watch and hopefully will be looking for more the following year, especially when we'll be talking expansion bids

Anyways did some polling yesterday at the tfc game. While i don't have enough of a sample to go forward  and publish yet i did notice some early trends.

-manning was not kidding about season ticket holders wanting to win rather than developing Canadian talent.

-season ticket holders feel the mls teams are doing a good job with development. Non-holders question it more

-season ticket holders mostly feel the current situation will not get canada to qatar. Non-holders agree

-season ticket holders are generally aware of the cpl project. Non-holders less so

-most like the idea. Some would prefer adapting the mls roster rules and some it depends on how good the league is

-very few season ticket holders feel roster rules are fine.

-most want the league to be connected to mls and for tfc2 to be in the league. They question if the league could succeed without the mls link.

-most think a second gta team has no chance

Will continue polling soon

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So you think MLS is going to dump its 3 markets that give it a presence in Canada?  At a time when it will be fighting to prevent CPL from grabbing significant market share in this country?

How the hell is that inevitable? 

He already told you how it's inevitable. It's in the business plan! Which presumably means Futballer wrote it on a piece of paper (possibly in blue crayon) and wrote "Business Plan" above it.

It appears that Anthony Totera will be coming out with some news on the CPL starting tomorrow. I hope so. What I'm really hoping is that he comes out with specifics such as how many teams are expected to participate, names of investors, scheduling, sponsorships, TV deals, etc...Totera Please give us news that we don't know.

2 hours ago, matty said:

While there is a difference between tor-van-mlt and other large Canadian cities, people need to remember to look at this from a Canadian media perspective.

Yeah, you missed my point. Halifax is crucial but is still a big fish in a small pond. I'm just saying it cannot be ranked with the big three in this sense. It is a secondary market, "from a Canadian media perspective."

17 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

A fair point - on the other hand it could also mean financial ruin for a club demoted. North American sport has no promotion/relegation tradition. I think it is difficult enough getting a single professional league up and running let alone throwing a wrench like pro/rel in the mix.

BTW I dont want to sound like im dumping on your idea. Its not like im saying in know for sure what the future will hold but I cant see pro/rel being a viable options for a long long time. Thats not to say I don't like your idea - just cant see it working in the forseeable future.

Hence why I said the founding teams can't be relegated at first(maybe after say 50 years it would change).  Just previous L1s 

52 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Clearly no one actually read my post, just saw pro/rel and dismissed it.  Cool.

And yeah @ted you're probably right, it just sucks to have to make that choice

I read it all just really had no interest in getting into the debate again because it's been played out and honestly I think it's a pipe dream that will never happen in North America.  No offense nothing in your plan changes how I feel about it or the reality of it happening here.

Archived